• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX What exactly is QA03768 P25 Common Air Interface why does it exist?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Did we ever figure out what is QA03768 P25 Common Air Interface ? Why a radio would have that option in the flash? The Motorola site flashcode portal states "Allows the radio to perform data over the common air interface". It is not a feature option in the catalog. It must be something else. We determined it does not allow Type 2 on radios with this flashcode option but that doesn't stop depot checkbox slammers from including it. The comm support site encoder states its incompatible with a few options, maybe proprietary?

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, the "Incompatible Options" information you see in the CS flash code tool came from the Motorola decoder tool a few years ago. Once upon a time, they published some JS to the browser that put that info in the browser. They've since moved that info server side. As it was an early version of that tool, the Incompatible Options list you see there can only be trusted to the extent you trust Motorola's R01 release of their FC tool.

1714926856691.png

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yea. Its weird. I've seen some factory flashcodes on labels and boxes that don't include it but most depot checkbox whackers nail it everytime. It isn't in the feature catalog and I haven't found any other official documentation of it, and I can't find anything else I wonder if it isn't some sort of early flashcode option that no longer is applicable. I had it included in one of my flashcodes and didn't see a differnce in another that doesn't have it.

Lots of stuff for non-motorola systems were enhanced over the years in firmware versions so they'd work, maybe that was something early that allowed compatibility with harris systems or something in the early years. During searches, someone stated on the other site it was possibly for non-motorola systems, and since it eliminates type 2 trunking, and the "incompatible list" seems to list a bunch of proprietary stuff I can somewhat see how that might make sense

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
It's still in the tiering file and not applicable to mobile. It's a valid option on all APX portable models, including Next.

Some snips...

1715044649418.png

1715044675026.png

1715044692176.png

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yea, thanks for replying, I didn't think this would get any replies being something so weird and off beat. I don't think anybody knows what this is except for the individuals this was meant for

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
It also made me wonder, thinking out loud......if it wasn't some sort of anti-type 2 sales technique or otherwise goofy sales trick to make APX radios enforced to ASTRO 25 only. You know how usually if you have 9600 baud it also includes smartzone/omnilink. This would be a way to chain them/restrict to ASTRO 25 only. as this feature being an APX only feature, wasn't something as far as I can tell on the XTS/XTL.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It also made me wonder, thinking out loud......if it wasn't some sort of anti-type 2 sales technique or otherwise goofy sales trick to make APX radios enforced to ASTRO 25 only. You know how usually if you have 9600 baud it also includes smartzone/omnilink. This would be a way to chain them/restrict to ASTRO 25 only. as this feature being an APX only feature, wasn't something as far as I can tell on the XTS/XTL.
Well no, that doesn't make sense. Why would MSI want to prevent APX radios from working on their own proprietary Type II systems? MSI is in the business of selling radios, so the more agencies the were able to convince to upgrade their XTS/XTL to APX while still operating on legacy Type II systems, the more profit.

Oh yeah, not to mention the APX 6000Li (QA02751 APX Lite Option) and QA08211 9600 or 3600 Single System Trigger are specifically intended as a cost saving option for agencies that only need one type of trunked system in the radio (Type II or P25, not both).

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Thanks for the response, I dunno, that's the mystery of this option.

It was mentioned elsewhere that this option shared the same bit as Q574 9600 Baud Trunking on an XTS.

Digit/Bit:
D12 B369 QA03768 P25 Common Air Interface
D12 B3 45 Q574- 9600 Baud Trunking

I have an XTS1500 with exact factory labeled flashcode for Q574, which prohibits anything other than ASTRO 25. There is no type 2 available.
H66UCD9PW5BN
500008-00048C-7

And now this similar P25 Common Air Interface exhibits the same thing. Restricts to ASTRO 25 only.

This all I have to go on for now

1.PNG