What features do you want to see in the Home Patrol III ???

belvdr

No longer interested in living
But how many can afford an 8600? Not me.
Most certainly, as it's a higher end receiver. However, if we included all the features requested, we're looking at something like the 8600. Many folks want all the features, but don't want to pay for it.

ohiogator

Premium Subscriber
The market is getting smaller. If uniden is actually still developing, I would bet on only 2 models. A base and a handheld. I think they'll use the SDS* line for the upgrades. The HP line dies with the II.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Better speakers is all I want.
I don't have an SDS to compare, but the sound of my 536 blows compared to my 996P2 & T.
I still love the sound from my old Electra Bearcat III and other Electra crystal models from that era as well as the newer Electra programmable models like the BC220, BC250 and so on. All before Uniden bought out Electra or Masco Corp.
They all had much better audio amps in them compared to most of today's models. At least those that Uniden sells anyway.

The worst audio was the original BC100 programmable handheld regardless if it was still made by Electra or the same model after Uniden bought Electra. I could barely hear that portable if there was any ambient noise around me.
The BC100 was unique though being the first programmable portable on the market.

As far as an unknown HP-3, I'd look at one as long as it had a true front end that is made to handle LSM otherwise I probably would pass on one.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Where are the F/W updates for the SDS, 996P2, and other current scanners???
Nowhere. Ol' Joebearcan't is the face of the Uniden scanner production.

I see that some replies go back to some ancient threads about waffle makers, etc..

I'm sure that most are seeing the writing on the wall, NO Updates or Upgrades.

But, wait, Uniden never lets on if there is anything new in the works.
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:
Yeah that was when Uniden had a lot of new stuff in the works, going back to ancient times, they never revealed what was in the works but a lot was.

I think they're pretty much non-verbally telegraphing what the situation is now.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I agreed with the waffle makers in honor of Paul Opitz. If I'm not mistaken, he was the first to bring it up as an addition to a not-yet-released Uniden scanner.

I like waffles and I'd pay for the option. l ;)

fasteddy64

Keep it simple but make it work, thats all I want.
I will take the Home Patrol design over the SDS-200 any day of the week.
In my current listening shack the only thing that keeps my HP-II from being my main scanner is it's lack of ProVoice decoding. (Yes we still use it here!) So the original HP-II with the ability to decode more modes is the perfect scanner in my book. More features will not improve my scanning experience.

Or just give me Phase II and Provoice in my BD785D and I will be thrilled.

belvdr

Remember when TV went digital around 07? Even TV isn't immune to technology "advancing"
Anything that utilizes technology needs to advance or fade away. ATSC 3.0 is on our doorstep.
Oh, and I'd like to see Uniden add an Encryption breaker.
Even if it were technically possible, why would a manufacturer want that liability?

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
I had a chance to program and use a Home Patrol for a friend and for what they sell for it's not worth the money. My TRX-1 with it's rubber duck antenna was pulling in 50% more traffic then the HP. Most people think they are getting away from computer programming and they are wrong, it still needs to be updated from time to time. But if this scanner is selling to the people that want a easy scanner version what does Uniden do?
The future of scanners will be interesting for Uniden, Whistler and Unication (if they pursue a scanner). Uniden has already set the bar at $699.00 for the SDS200 and you pay extra for DMR. There are still some bugs to work out and no updates have been done to the best scanner out there, so what does that tell you.
Losing Upman was a major blow to the scanner world. He was a leader in the new technology for scanners and I don't think we have another person like that in the business right now.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Anything that utilizes technology needs to advance or fade away. ATSC 3.0 is on our doorstep.
Even if it were technically possible, why would a manufacturer want that liability?
I was joking on both counts. Technology advancing brings more good than bad but unfortunately with scanners it seems to have made encryption a lot more common, so ironically it's making a large chunk of our hobby fade away...just like it bricked our old tvs unless you got one of them special digital boxes or had cable

We all know receiving and decoding encrypted transmissions is a big no-no, there's no way in hell Uniden or any other manufacturer would want to pay those fines and do that prison time 😄

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I want it to a)display when Uniden will announce their next new scanner and b)display what updates are being developed and when they will be available.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I had a chance to program and use a Home Patrol for a friend and for what they sell for it's not worth the money. My TRX-1 with it's rubber duck antenna was pulling in 50% more traffic then the HP. Most people think they are getting away from computer programming and they are wrong, it still needs to be updated from time to time. But if this scanner is selling to the people that want a easy scanner version what does Uniden do?
The future of scanners will be interesting for Uniden, Whistler and Unication (if they pursue a scanner). Uniden has already set the bar at $699.00 for the SDS200 and you pay extra for DMR. There are still some bugs to work out and no updates have been done to the best scanner out there, so what does that tell you.
Losing Upman was a major blow to the scanner world. He was a leader in the new technology for scanners and I don't think we have another person like that in the business right now.
The jury will disregard this testimony. It is not responsive to the question.

belvdr

I was joking on both counts. Technology advancing brings more good than bad but unfortunately with scanners it seems to have made encryption a lot more common, so ironically it's making a large chunk of our hobby fade away...just like it bricked our old tvs unless you got one of them special digital boxes or had cable

We all know receiving and decoding encrypted transmissions is a big no-no, there's no way in hell Uniden or any other manufacturer would want to pay those fines and do that prison time 😄
In the back of my mind, I assumed you were joking, but I have seen others propose such things thinking it's either easy or legal. lol

tumegpc

The Home Patrol 3 would be JoeBearcat's/Uniden's swan song. Add an alert light, DMR, & NXDN, and call it a day. You'll have a pretty darn cool scanner with a proven track record. Toss a couple of firmware upgrades to the SDS scanners and you'll have quite a few happy campers.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
In the back of my mind, I assumed you were joking, but I have seen others propose such things thinking it's either easy or legal. lol
Probably the same people buying analog scanner models from the 90s for $125 on Ebay thinking they can receive P25 lol

All I really ask going forward is to make all digital models capable of handling simulcast like the SDS....but then no one would be paying $650+ a pop for a scanner so I doubt it'll happen

iball

Built-in GPS receivers in all new digital scanners going forward, especially since it's already been proven that one can be somewhat easily installed inside an SDS100.
Especially now that they can be found for about $20/ea when *not* buying in bulk. Should only add an additional $50 to the MSRP.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm rather surprised that no one suggested this - better battery management, charging AND conditioning options. These have been on the market for years, and just limiting charging to a number of hours and thermal sensing is SO 1990s.

The technology exists NOW, and why Uniden hasn't adopted it and put their heads in the sand on this subject is beyond me....Mike