What is a track warrant?

I just want to make sure that I my understanding of a Track Warrant is correct while listening to railroad frequencies.
I got the definition of the term here and it reads as follows:

"A track warrant is a set of instructions issued to a train crew authorizing specific train movements. The system is widely used in North America. The warrant is issued by the train dispatcher and delivered to the train crew via radio. The train crew copies the instructions onto a pre-printed paper form and reads back the warrant to ensure that nothing was misunderstood."

So it looks like to me, being the aviation nerd that I am (Yes I know, I SAID it :D), a track warrant would be similar to a flight plan which pilots have to follow.

A follow up question I had is why do railroads issue track warrants via radio communications when we live in a digital world?

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Your understanding of Track Warrants is correct.

As to why they are voiced on the radio,
  • Operating conditions on trains change dynamically. Crossing signal malfunctions happen (and clear up). Trains have mechanical malfunctions that require other trains to modify their operations to maintain safety (such as not passing, or passing a stopped train at 10 MPH). These (and other things) require Warrants.
  • The order is issued to the engineer by the dispatcher. In Amtrak's case, the engineer must stop the train to receive and acknowledge the warrant (unless there is another engineer in the cab). In the case of freight trains, the conductor usually copies and acknowledges to warrant.
  • Voicing the order allows everyone involved with the operation of the train to hear the orders.
  • If sent digitally, another radio channel would be needed, along with printers on the locomotives.
Hope this helps
Don

Your understanding of Track Warrants is correct.

As to why they are voiced on the radio,
  • Operating conditions on trains change dynamically. Crossing signal malfunctions happen (and clear up). Trains have mechanical malfunctions that require other trains to modify their operations to maintain safety (such as not passing, or passing a stopped train at 10 MPH). These (and other things) require Warrants.
  • The order is issued to the engineer by the dispatcher. In Amtrak's case, the engineer must stop the train to receive and acknowledge the warrant (unless there is another engineer in the cab). In the case of freight trains, the conductor usually copies and acknowledges to warrant.
  • Voicing the order allows everyone involved with the operation of the train to hear the orders.
  • If sent digitally, another radio channel would be needed, along with printers on the locomotives.
Hope this helps
Don
Thanks for the detailed answer.
It does need help and not to mention makes sense.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I just want to make sure that I my understanding of a Track Warrant is correct while listening to railroad frequencies.
I got the definition of the term here and it reads as follows:

"A track warrant is a set of instructions issued to a train crew authorizing specific train movements. The system is widely used in North America. The warrant is issued by the train dispatcher and delivered to the train crew via radio. The train crew copies the instructions onto a pre-printed paper form and reads back the warrant to ensure that nothing was misunderstood."

So it looks like to me, being the aviation nerd that I am (Yes I know, I SAID it :D), a track warrant would be similar to a flight plan which pilots have to follow.

A follow up question I had is why do railroads issue track warrants via radio communications when we live in a digital world?
We live in a digital world, but Railroads are even more safety sensitive than the airline industry, and the digital revolution is quite new compared to the railroad industry and still prone to outages. Slowly the railroads are upgrading to digital authority but the rollout is extremely expensive considering many locomotives in service are several decades old and there are hundreds of thousands of miles of track that would also need to be upgraded with sensors. In addition, track warrants aren't only issued to trains, but also inspectors, on track equipment, maintenance in the way, etc. Track warrants can be delivered electronically and printed, but it requires the crews to have access to a printer which generally aren't installed in locomotives.

There are different types of tracks. For this application, we are concerned about what is known as "Main Track". Main track is higher speed and longer distances from different places. With higher speeds comes longer stopping distances often resulting in stopping distances far beyond line of sight.

So, main tracks are strictly controlled with the vast majority of movements controlled by a dispatcher (similar to an air traffic controller). There are different types of permission to occupy the main track known as "Authority". A track warrant is one type of main track authority. It can be used in conjunction with other signaling systems or on its own (this is known as dark territory).

In the past, a single misaligned switch has led to deaths and the destruction of entire towns. A single misaligned main track switch was the cause of the Graniteville, SC Train Wreck and subsequent hazardous materials disaster.

So, with track warrants, a dispatcher that controls the entire line verbally reads off the authority to the train crew as needed, and the train crew must read it back exactly as stated. There is a prescribed form used depending on the railroad. My experience is with Union Pacific an you'll commonly hear the dispatcher state X Box (number) then specific instructions, and move on to further boxes. This correlates with the prescribed form. The different boxes mean different things... The prescribed form is used for different types of verbal authority, and not all of them apply to track warrants. Here's a brief description of the boxes that you'll hear used for track warrants (for Union Pacific).

• 1. Track Warrant XXXX is Void - This voids a previous track warrant assigned to that train.
  • 2. Not In Effect Until Arrival of (Engine Number), (Engine Number), (Engine Number), At (Location) - The train being issued this track warrant cannot act upon it until the arrival of the engine numbers listed at a given location. This is used for meeting trains at a specific location. The engine numbers are always the head end leader and allows for meeting up to three trains at the specific location.
  • 3. Proceed from (Location) to (Location) on (Track), (Subdivision Name) - This allows a train to proceed from one specific location to another specific location in one direction on a specific track on a specific subdivision. There may be more than one main track and they are numbered. If there is only one main track, they will simply specify "Main Track).
  • 4. Hold Main Track at Last Named Point - Instructs the train to stay on the main track at the last named point.
  • 5. Clear Main Track at Last Named Point - Instructs the train to clear off of the main track at the last named point, usually into a siding.
  • 7. Work Between (Location) and (Location) on (Track), (Subdivision). - Allows the train to work in either direction on the main track.
  • 9. Limits jointly occupied between (Location), and (Location) - Allows more than one crew to work together in an area (there are significant restrictions on working with this box.
  • 10. Joint with (Name or Engine Number) between (Location), and (Location) - Used in conjunction with #9 so that crews entering a joint limit can contact the crews with authority in that area to coordinate movements
  • 11. From (Location) to (Location), (Speed in MPH), (Track Number), Flags at (Location) - Used to issue a speed restriction to a crew that has been instituted after the departure from their originating terminal where they received a track condition summary
  • 12. Box 12 can be used for a few different things. Crews can be instructed to comply with a specific procedure between two mileposts, this can be used to notify crews that a main track switch is lined for a siding, and can be used to give crews permission to leave a main track switch lined for siding.

Overall, verbal authority will never go completely away as there needs to be some sort of backup system to electronic authority. This is a very VERY basic primer on track warrant control. Track Warrants are a very specific, technical, and complex set of instructions that have gotten many crews fired, and even resulted in deaths when they aren't followed to the letter.

Source: I worked for Union Pacific as a conductor and engineer for 10 years and copied thousands of track warrants.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Interesting discussion, way back in the '80s I was a railroad engineer for about 3 years and then was promoted into operations, I left right before 5 years as I did not want to transfer my Social Security into Railroad Retirement.

This was in the mid-80s just as the old Book of Rules was being phased out and the new National Rail rules came into play. Previously we had train orders that were issued by the dispatcher and then were re-written and delivered by order runners who were tower operators, the only thing we used to control the movement of trains to pass stop signals, occupy track, operate on single track, foreman taking track out of service etc that were issued to engineers and track Foreman and Power Station operators, Etc, were called "form D's".. they were similar to train orders and were either issued in person or over the radio, we also had bulletins that would be picked up from a box at various larger stations.

I worked in passenger service for SEPTA Regional Rail, former Reading Railroad and Pennsylvania Railroad. I honestly never heard of a train warrant, just form D's, but then again, I stopped working on the railroad in the late 80s.😄

Another question that cropped up in my mind...what happens if a freight train is being hauled by multiple locomotives, like you see in most instances?

I would assume the lead locomotive's conductor would be receiving the track warrant?

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
Another question that cropped up in my mind...what happens if a freight train is being hauled by multiple locomotives, like you see in most instances?

I would assume the lead locomotive's conductor would be receiving the track warrant?
The lead locomotive is (normally) the only one that is manned. The other locomotives are controlled from the lead loco.

belvdr

No longer interested in living

Here's a good article on this.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Track Warrants / Form Ds??

I assume that Form Ds and Track Warrants are the same. I mean they both give train crews and MOW personnel the authority to occupy a section of track, right? Most transmissions from Train Crews and Dispatcher around use Form D, especially in dark territory. Even in signal control territory Form Ds maybe issued for a section maybe offline from a dispatcher's computer terminal.

Every Time I hear a Form D being issued, it's usually in signaled territory. For Holme interlocking to Shore interlocking has quite few signal in between.
SAMPLE:
Form D No. XXXXX Today Date Jan ?? 20??
C&E Train
Drop Down Circle Line 2
Operate TRK 2 West Between MP. 78.0 to MP 76.9 Restricted Speed 15 MPH
Time Effective 11:00HRS Dispatcher Huffnagle

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

In freight service, the track warrant is copied by the conductor and an EXACT copy has to be provided to the engineer. All crew members are required to read and understand the track warrant before it is to be acted upon.

I have no experience with passenger service so I couldn't tell you how they handle it in passenger service.

99% of the time, the controlling locomotive is the one in front and should be the only locomotive with number plates illuminated. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule... But they aren't common. Trailing locomotives are controlled from the controlling locomotive through the "MU Cable" and hoses between the locomotives. Remote locomotives (distributed power) distributed throughout the train are radio controlled from the remote locomotive. Getting into distributed power gets a little more complex and has nothing to do with main track authority or track warrants.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I assume that Form Ds and Track Warrants are the same.
Yes. Different railroads have different names for the forms used to issue track warrants.

Every Time I hear a Form D being issued, it's usually in signaled territory.
Usually when a train or other operator is being given permission to operate in a manner that differs from the employee timetable.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
NORAC rules Form D GCOR track warrant
Bingo!
Track Warrants / Form Ds??

I assume that Form Ds and Track Warrants are the same. I mean they both give train crews and MOW personnel the authority to occupy a section of track, right? Most transmissions from Train Crews and Dispatcher around use Form D, especially in dark territory. Even in signal control territory Form Ds maybe issued for a section maybe offline from a dispatcher's computer terminal.

Every Time I hear a Form D being issued, it's usually in signaled territory. For Holme interlocking to Shore interlocking has quite few signal in between.
SAMPLE:
Form D No. XXXXX Today Date Jan ?? 20??
C&E Train
Drop Down Circle Line 2
Operate TRK 2 West Between MP. 78.0 to MP 76.9 Restricted Speed 15 MPH
Time Effective 11:00HRS Dispatcher Huffnagle
Yes that is the Northeast Corridor I used to run on the Trenton line for SEPTA Regional Rail, also used by Amtrak of course.

Between Homes Junction and Shore interlocking are quite a few signals frequently having problems and you will hear from D's so as to pass stop signals.

Shore interlocking is where the New Jersey Transit trains to Atlantic City out of 30th Street Station cross over the Delaware on the Delair Bridge. That is the old Pennsylvania Railroad part of SEPTA. Regional Rail...

I see you're from Warminster which is now the end of the Reading railroad section of SEPTA, you could go a lot further north than that in days past.😉

I see how train warrants are similar to form D's now.. just a different Book of Rules.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Bingo!

Yes that is the Northeast Corridor I used to run on the Trenton line for SEPTA Regional Rail, also used by Amtrak of course.

Between Homes Junction and Shore interlocking are quite a few signals frequently having problems and you will hear from D's so as to pass stop signals.

Shore interlocking is where the New Jersey Transit trains to Atlantic City out of 30th Street Station cross over the Delaware on the Delair Bridge. That is the old Pennsylvania Railroad part of SEPTA. Regional Rail...

I see you're from Warminster which is now the end of the Reading railroad section of SEPTA, you could go a lot further north than that in days past.😉

I see how train warrants are similar to form D's now.. just a different Book of Rules.
Norac is what came out of PennCentra/amtrak/connrail and the like for the northeast .

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Bingo!

Yep, I live up in Warminster, but I grew up in NE PHILADELPHIA Mayfair / Holmesburg section. Heck, I spent a good portion of my youth watching trains at Holmesburg Junction. Once in a while I would get to sit up inside the Tower and watch board light up with passing trains and approaching trains. Between 09:30 to 11:00, the FJ-4 or FJ go up the Bustleton Branch and between 16:00 & 18:00, FJ-4 or FJ 10 tie down behind the Tower and wait for Jitney to go back to Frankford with a new crew. Sure, wish I brought a camera with me, because I forgot what the interior of upstairs inside of Holmes Interlocking Tower