What scanner should I buy to listen to Neosho and Joplin police departments?

kj417

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at the Whistler WS1065 Desktop Digital Scanner on Amazon for $350. If I understand correctly, it looks like this can access MOSWIN which is a P25 Phase I system, right? Are there any better, cheaper alternatives? Or should I spend a little more money and get something else?

I was also looking at "Uniden BEARTRACKER 885 Hybrid Full-Featured CB Radio + Digital TrunkTracking" on Amazon for $350 but I don't think I would talk on the CB so I'd rather have a dedicated scanner instead. The Uniden BCD536HP looks nice but $600 is a little out of my price range right now. I can go a little higher than $350 but not all the way to $600.

I plan to use the scanner in my home and don't have any plans to install it in my car. I'm not opposed to a handheld scanner but it would have to be one that can be connected to AC power the majority of the time without ruining the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Hello!
The WS1065 will let you hear MOSWIN and the Joplin P25 Trunked system noted above. As also noted the various PD talkgroups on the Joplin system are encrypted, darn. BUT other TGs on that system, including Joplin FIRE and EMS are in the clear.

MOSWIN has Neosho, Newton County Fire, PD/Sheriff, EMS all in the clear. Also Jasper Co sheriff, Carthge PD, Carl Junction PD, etc mostly in the clear.

BUT in the next 1-2 years a new Jasper ****y system will be built as a new "zone" to MOSWIN that will have "simulcast" sites. The WS1065 may well have simulcast distortion and make it difficult to hear Jasper CO and eventually, Joplin. The (more expensive) Uniden SDS 200 (and 100) is the only real scanner that will work best with simulcast.
For what it's worth there is a Facebook group for scanner buffs in the Joplin area, which can help more. Let me know if you are interested.

kj417

Premium Subscriber
@wbloss I don't use Facebook often but I am interested in checking out that FB group.

Does simulcast just mean the same signal is broadcast on the same frequency from multiple transmitters? And I assume that becomes a problem due to the signals reaching the receiver at different times? And if they are on the same frequencies then you can't selectively pick which broadcast to listen to?

Would an SDR be able to handle simulcast? I may look into using an SDR for myself but I don't think that will be an option for my grandfather so I'll still need to decide on a scanner.

Would simulcast only be a problem after the new Jasper county system is built as a new zone to MOSWIN? Or will I have the same problems listening to existing TGs on MOSWIN currently?

Looking at Newton County on this page, I see where it says:
Sheriff and Neosho Police have talkgroups for most communications; simulcast on VHF
Does that mean I'll need something like the Uniden SDS 200 or 100 to listen to them?

Edit: I just started looking into SDR a little more and that actually looks really cool and fun to play with. I see an RTL-SDR Blog V4 on Amazon for $40 and will probably impulse buy it before I go to bed tonight.

Last edited:

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Have fun with the SDR - It can be a time sink!

To your questions:
- The Facebook group is private you can't find it, But if you will "friend" me I can send you an invitation. Reading through the past posts would be instructive, and bringing up questions to the group would be helpful.
- You are "spot on" with the explanation of simulcast! And right now there is NO simulcast in the Jasper/Newton area, BUT when the new system(s) added to MOSWIN go online, at least the Jasper Co system will be simo. SO listening now will work on most any P25 receiver - I also have a Whistler 1065 in daily use on MOSWIN, along with a TRX2, BCD436hp, and SDS 200!
Keep in touch, we have a good group of scanner peeps here!

kj417

Premium Subscriber
The RTL-SDR Blog V4 I ordered Thursday arrived this morning and I spent the last couple of hours getting it set up. Picking up FM radio stations with SDR# was super easy and allowed me to confirm the device and drivers were working properly. It took a little longer to get sdrtunk set up with MOSWIN but now it seems like I can listen to just about everything I want.

I'll keep playing with this and learning about scanning and will probably buy a scanner in a few months.

kj417

Premium Subscriber
Hey @wbloss , I think I found you on Facebook and sent you a friend request so you can get me into that group. If you didn't get a request from someone just now then shoot me a message here with a link to your Facebook page and I'll add you that way.

Bob1955

I'm looking at the Whistler WS1065 Desktop Digital Scanner on Amazon for $350. If I understand correctly, it looks like this can access MOSWIN which is a P25 Phase I system, right? Are there any better, cheaper alternatives? Or should I spend a little more money and get something else?

I was also looking at "Uniden BEARTRACKER 885 Hybrid Full-Featured CB Radio + Digital TrunkTracking" on Amazon for $350 but I don't think I would talk on the CB so I'd rather have a dedicated scanner instead. The Uniden BCD536HP looks nice but $600 is a little out of my price range right now. I can go a little higher than $350 but not all the way to $600.

I plan to use the scanner in my home and don't have any plans to install it in my car. I'm not opposed to a handheld scanner but it would have to be one that can be connected to AC power the majority of the time without ruining the battery.
Do NOT buy that Whistler WS1065 as I had one here to re-program for a friend--not "good" quality compared to Uniden America Corporation. You can go with a Bearcat BCD996P2 from Walmart, sold and shipped by them and it is $389.95 and if your area is simulcast, then your best bet is the Bearcat SDS200 and it is price fixed at $699.95 so if that's what you want to spend, purchase it from Police Scanner Outlet in Maryland and no sales tax/free shipping and they also can program it for you for a small fee, especially if you are a new scanner user.
Happy Easter to you.

Bob (KB2GQK)

foster_006

Do NOT buy that Whistler WS1065 as I had one here to re-program for a friend--not "good" quality compared to Uniden America Corporation. You can go with a Bearcat BCD996P2 from Walmart, sold and shipped by them and it is $389.95 and if your area is simulcast, then your best bet is the Bearcat SDS200 and it is price fixed at $699.95 so if that's what you want to spend, purchase it from Police Scanner Outlet in Maryland and no sales tax/free shipping and they also can program it for you for a small fee, especially if you are a new scanner user.
Happy Easter to you.

Bob (KB2GQK)
This recommendation is solid!

I have both the Uniden SDS200 and the 996P2. I use the 996P2 as my daily driver at home and it works great and is a lot easier to manage than the SDS200 if you're not familiar with it. I also feel the 996P2 is a bit better on the receiving end to pull in the distant or fringe area signals.

I utilize several SDR dongles for different tasks, one of which is SDRtrunk for streaming to broadcastify. If you have any questions about SDR or scanners in general, you've come to the right place. As Wally said, the FB group is an invaluable resource with a good group of people to chat with without all the typical scanner group nonsense (e.g. "Hey, I saw a police car.. does anyone know what they're doing?").

Welcome to RR, kj417!

Bob1955

This recommendation is solid!

I have both the Uniden SDS200 and the 996P2. I use the 996P2 as my daily driver at home and it works great and is a lot easier to manage than the SDS200 if you're not familiar with it. I also feel the 996P2 is a bit better on the receiving end to pull in the distant or fringe area signals.

I utilize several SDR dongles for different tasks, one of which is SDRtrunk for streaming to broadcastify. If you have any questions about SDR or scanners in general, you've come to the right place. As Wally said, the FB group is an invaluable resource with a good group of people to chat with without all the typical scanner group nonsense (e.g. "Hey, I saw a police car.. does anyone know what they're doing?").

Welcome to RR, kj417!
foster_006- I don't own a Bearcat SDS200 but what read here and have seen on HAM radio groups under scanners, everyone favors the 996P2, and the SDS (software Designed Scanners) designed by the (late Paul Opitz) for P25 digital simulcasting. The "CLEAR" winner all the way around to me, in my area in lower Westchester County, NY is the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2, however, my Bearcat BC365CRS receives analog "simplex" "repeater "signals much better, sensitivity wise, audio is outstanding, even better then 996P2 and it is a side-by-side comparison using the same Uniden OEM telescoping antenna.
Kind of crazy, right? One is a $93 analog/conventional scanner, and the other is $389 P25 Phase 1/2 l digital/trunking/analog/aplha tagging/CTCSS/DCS loaded with features.
I'm starting to really wonder if Uniden America Corporation is having problems in Vietnam with quality control ever since after COVID-19 even though the pandemic is over.

Bob