Where are the 436's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm911

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/11A465)

Will do. Now that I'm a little nervous. I do see on the UPS website that it is in shipment so that does rest my nerves some. Should have it by Thursday.

jdm911

Well, after reading reviews I think I am going to be very, very disappointed with the upcoming process. It sure sounds like I will be either getting the wrong product and then being charged the 15% restock fee because of that, or getting a damaged unit (even though it is said to be new) and getting charged the same 15% fee. I am going to try to go through my cc company to try to get out of this. I don't think I am even going to open the package at this point.

JamesO

Not trying to scare you, but just wanted to make sure everyone understands this vendor is not affiliated any of the manufacturers they sell.

Part # 1 is getting quick delivery.

Assuming you get a quick delivery, then open the package and hopefully you will get the item you ordered and in good shape. Given these radios are recently released and should all be under some form of warranty, then it is very unlikely these are any sort of "refurbished", used or other type of stock.

Again, hope it all works out of the best, I do recall some purchased from this company previously and things were delayed when the web page indicated they had stock and I believe those that ordered from this company cancelled their orders at that point??

jdm911

Thanks...I did talk with them this afternoon and feel a bit better about the order...I will keep people posted. We shall see. (I see the price is $50 higher today-they said they had 3 left)

JamesO

The 3 pack price they had listed yesterday had the scanners at about $420 each as I recall. Would not be a bad deal if it was for real, but it appears the 3 pack price is now $1525.95!!

Your order/call must have been an eye opener to them.

Hope if works out and you get your scanner soon.

rescuephoto88

Pulled the trigger and just ordered the BCD436 from Amazon. My big concern is programing it. I'm on Mac and can't use the software. I'm going to have to program it all from the scanner itself. It seems very confusing, I've been reading the manual and the Easy to Read manual too, also watching the videos on youtube. I'll report back what I think when I power it up for the first time. I need it for the LAPD.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
I ordered my 436 from Ham Radio Outlet on Saturday and it showed "BACKORDERED"
I just got a UPS shipping notice saying that 436 would arrive on May 8th. HRO usually ships my orders from their store in MA, this order is being shipped from their Deleware store.
I guess they are arriving at stores!!! Hope you all get yours soon and I hope mine isn't a "return"

JamesO

Pulled the trigger and just ordered the BCD436 from Amazon. My big concern is programing it. I'm on Mac and can't use the software. I'm going to have to program it all from the scanner itself. It seems very confusing, I've been reading the manual and the Easy to Read manual too, also watching the videos on youtube. I'll report back what I think when I power it up for the first time. I need it for the LAPD.

You really need to update the database and likely the firmware in the scanner, so you will need the Sentinel software for this purpose.

There are some issues with Mac, however, you may want to read what this user stated he used without problems - http://forums.radioreference.com/un...olume-connecting-my-computer.html#post2184510

Might balance the cost of the additional software vs just picking up a cheap Windows XP laptop for scanner programming.

There may be other programming software that may???? run on Mac, however, Sentinel is still required for Master Database and Firmware updates.

rescuephoto88

You really need to update the database and likely the firmware in the scanner, so you will need the Sentinel software for this purpose.

There are some issues with Mac, however, you may want to read what this user stated he used without problems - http://forums.radioreference.com/un...olume-connecting-my-computer.html#post2184510

Might balance the cost of the additional software vs just picking up a cheap Windows XP laptop for scanner programming.

There may be other programming software that may???? run on Mac, however, Sentinel is still required for Master Database and Firmware updates.

OK, thank you for that info.....I might pick up a used pc for that reason...

jdm911

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/11A465)

jdm911 said:

Will do. Now that I'm a little nervous. I do see on the UPS website that it is in shipment so that does rest my nerves some. Should have it by Thursday.

All arrived well today. What a sigh of relief.

baayers

I got my 436 Thursday morning from Zipscanners. Came with firmware 1.3 out of the box. Cant remember if the last batch before the shortage came with it or not.

JamesO

Glad to hear scanners are starting to ship again and even some of the less mainstream vendors are getting them info the hands of buyers as well.

NOW the fun starts.

Check out this for reference - Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Also be ready for the "Nothing To Scan" to show up on the screen when the first few programming attempts are made.

Learn how to turn on and off the Master Database for scanning as well as be VERY careful about the Service Type when setting up your own Favorites List and learn about Location Control.

As for an antenna, depending on what you listening needs are, I like the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna. Never even used the stock antenna with my radio.

The HP scanners can be a challenge to master, but seem to do a good job overall.

WA4HHG

Premium Subscriber
HRO just received stock. I bought mine from HRO Virginia today, 5/9/14. Great folks; high trust factor.

Duramaximized

I ordered a BCD436hp from zipscanners.com on Tuesday afternoon and had it at my door on Thursday by mid morning. When placing the order, the website kept giving me an error when trying to put in my credit card information. I gave them a call and talked to Luke, who was very helpful and got my order placed over the phone. Great customer service!

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
HRO in Sunnyvale (California) had six in stock when I called around noon today. I was tempted to take a look, but I didn't want to tempt myself.

...and I decided I can wait until my life gets less hectic, a local agency goes P25/P2, or the Analyze feature gets shipped.

I was hoping that part of the delay in fulfilling new orders was because they were busy re-FLASHing them before they shipped. ;)

ColleyvilleScott

Premium Subscriber
My BCD436 arrives tomorrow (05/16) from HamCity. Ordered 03/25 and knew they were out of stock. My favorites are built in the software and ready to be downloaded. Happy times ahead :)

kd7eir

My BCD436 arrives tomorrow (05/16) from HamCity. Ordered 03/25 and knew they were out of stock. My favorites are built in the software and ready to be downloaded. Happy times ahead :)

I am certain that you will enjoy it. I, too, had my favorites all setup before my scanner arrived.

You are certainly more patient that I when it comes to waiting for something new.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Hey everyone - I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so I figured I'd start with seconding this post from Sandy since I stumbled upon the thread while looking for a 436 for myself. I spoke with Phil from Monitor Long Island on Friday. Seemed like a really nice person and offered to update and program the scanner for me so it arrived ready to go. I haven't received it yet (should have it today), but he did mention he has a few more 436 and 536 models available if anyone is interested.

Anyways, I've spend the past month or so creeping around the board trying to learn what I can about my area (Cleveland, OH suburb) and finally joined since making my scanner purchase. This looks like a great community!

Frank
Well, just for the record, I got mine two days ago from Phil at Monitor Long Island, and when I last spoke to him, he had 4 left and asked me to pass the info along, so I am.

Just gotta figure this thing out now, it's a little different than the SC150B I was using for nearly 20 years :)

Frank,
Thank you for the positive feed back.

baayers

Exchange Time

I got my 436 Thursday morning from Zipscanners. Came with firmware 1.3 out of the box. Cant remember if the last batch before the shortage came with it or not.

Unfortunately for me the piece on the back of my radio where you attach the belt clip is defective and coming off on its own so it looks like its exchange time for me. I sent my 106 off to G&G last Monday for some rehab so hope this goes quickly. I guess on the positive side at least the supply of units is back. I'd rather have to wait a few days for a new radio than a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.