Which is the right frelling car power supply for a Pro-97?

Avix

Premium Subscriber
I have recently found my old beaten and battered Pro-97. I have an AC wall wart to power it at home, but I can just not figure what is the proper car power supply for it. I have googled the power supply for the Pro-97 car power DC, but it always comes back either a non-existent radio shack or an AC wall wart or a list of comparable radios, of which the Pro-97 isn't listed. I see countless numbers, but I am a completely ignorant of any of the hardware aspects. Can someone please post the number values, so I can search for them or even a link to one, please?
Avix

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
Pro-97 Power Requirements
The Pro-97 requires 9v of DC power. The link above will give you the RS DC adapter part number. Do a searchbon eBay and Amazon. But be certain that the item is genuine, provides 9vdc output and has the correct plug polarity and size. Good luck.

Avix

Premium Subscriber
I did do a search on this number.
DC adapter #273-1863/C
and
AC adapter #273-1767/C
They were for AC wall warts. Do I have the wrong numbers?
I ended up buying this. I couldn't find OEM ones anywhere.

I lost the yellow rechargeable case years ago and have been using regular alkaline batteries. I've already managed to fry 4 batteries, forgetting to take them out before I plugged in the wall wart.

Thanks for all your help guys. It has been useful. I've learned some new things.
Avix

Avix

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to take the black case with batteries out of the '97 when I got home from a trip in the car. I plugged it into the wall wart. Several minutes later, I heard a loud POP and I was "what the heck?". Then I heard another one. Then it clicked. I had forgotten to pull the battery case. Pulled the power cable and opened the battery compartment. 2 fried alkaline batteries. Black gunk all over the batteries, case and compartment. I assumed that the scanner had gone, "oh, batteries still in the case. They must be rechargeable" and started dumping power into the alkaline batteries" Hence. Booming batteries. TVemger. I'll remember that for other things I might order. I do remember seeing that on a lot of the lists.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I forgot to take the black case with batteries out of the '97 when I got home from a trip in the car. I plugged it into the wall wart. Several minutes later, I heard a loud POP and I was "what the heck?"
The black battery case does not have the contact for charging batteries. That is the one which should be used with alkaline batteries. The yellow case is for rechargeable batteries. If the batteries get hot, someone may have modified the scanner to charge batteries with the black case.

Avix

Premium Subscriber
Really? Ok. Then I am completely baffled. They were 4 newish Kirkland AA batteries. 2 of them popped. I bought the scanner new and haven't had any modifications done to it. I used to use rechargeable in the yellow case exclusively. Something happened. I don't know what. Last time I pulled out, the battery compartment cover was a bit melted and the rechargeables we're done. The yellow case was melted, and I had to pry them out. Something happened. I have absolutely no clue, except maybe that the batteries themselves were bad. That's all I can think of. Maybe I should be looking at a new scanner first before I start getting into Amateur.
Avix

tvengr

Well Known Member
It sounds like you have damage inside the scanner. If the batteries overheated using the black case, there is a shorted component inside the scanner pulling excessive current from the batteries or the charge and power contacts in the scanner overheated and are fused together due to plastic melting from previous damage when you were using the yellow case. There is a good chance that the voltage regulator in the scanner has been damaged and using an AC or DC adapter may cause additional damage to the scanner. The scanner probably is not worth repairing.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
One final thought: You may have bent the battery contacts on the scanner when you pried out the yellow battery case. Remove the black battery case from the scanner. You will see 3 spring contacts. The 2 on the left will be closer to each other. All 3 contacts should be parallel with each other so that they are not touching when the battery case is inserted. Straighten the contacts if necessary.

CycleSycho

One final thought: You may have bent the battery contacts on the scanner when you pried out the yellow battery case. Remove the black battery case from the scanner. You will see 3 spring contacts. The 2 on the left will be closer to each other. All 3 contacts should be parallel with each other so that they are not touching when the battery case is inserted. Straighten the contacts if necessary.

:cautious: This sounds like the issue seeing as prior damage could be overlooked inside the battery section. Avix, take a close-up picture and post it in the forum, might clarify for all who are now interested. IF this isn't the reason the batteries are exploding, you may wish to shelf the scanner until you have the time and $ to inquire/fix the radio. Let us know, OK? Good luck! :cautious:

Avix

Premium Subscriber
I did discover one thing about 03:00 this morning. It's an aftermarket variable setting power supply. I had thought I had it set for 9v instead of 12v. Needless to say, this has been corrected.

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_131308_result.jpg
    IMG_20240127_131308_result.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240127_131332_result.jpg
    IMG_20240127_131332_result.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 31

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I did discover one thing about 03:00 this morning. It's an aftermarket variable setting power supply. I had thought I had it set for 9v instead of 12v. Needless to say, this has been corrected.
Those contacts got HOT.

Avix

Premium Subscriber
That was from the rechargeable batteries melting things. I was amazed it worked at all after I saw that. I just can't think of any reason it did what it did. It wasn't plugged in. I assume the batteries had a full charge. The Pro-97 seems to be a tough unit.

Thanks, JeffersonSpyplane. Looking it over.

Scotty.

Avix

Premium Subscriber
The car power supply has arrived and been tested. The only issue is that the PowerPoint I want to plug it into is very flaky. I did find a way to insert it that works. That should be a warranty fix from the garage that supposedly fixed it. Jeffersonspyplane. I ordered one of the ones you suggested for my SUV. Thank you all for all your help and suggestions. Being brand new to all this, I don't want to spend any money I don't have to.
Scotty