Who is #1 Sdrplay or Airspy? in performance, bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonohudson

The SDRplay frequency gap is now closed

Latest from the blog, they are trying to close the gap on sdrplay. Guess we just need to wait a little while for this to be done.

SDRplay have now released their updated API - the new API fixes the frequency gap they have had up until now (previous gap was 380MHz to 420MHz worst case) -. It has been completely removed

Accompanying this is the new release of the SDRplay EXTIO file with the following features:

Addition of an Advanced dialog box for additional Settings

Implementation of a selectable 1st LO frequency for the block converter. This will apply to frequencies below 60MHz (up-converted) and between 250MHz and 420MHz (down-converted). This allows full coverage between 100kHz and 2GHz in AUTO mode or the re-position of interferes at the expense of coverage range

Added a down conversion routine to convert Low IF modes to Zero IF modes for compatibility in SDR interfaces. IF bandwidths below 1.536MHz supported choice of IF Frequency and sample rate are restricted.

Added Options to control the DC offset compensation mode used by the tuner. Available modes are Static, Periodic, One-Shot and Continuous

Improved robustness when dynamically changing between IF modes and sample rates

SDR# and HDSDR users can benefit immediately from these features.

The new files and updated documentation are available from the platforms section of the SDRplay website SDRplay - Platforms

AlastairC

Just ordered a SDRplay. $149.00 plus $18:00 if you DSL-Fedex. Takes 5 days to get to my address in Georgia. Being a Brit I am a sucker when it comes to British Products.
Keep you updated.

Andy3

I got myself one of the early SDRPlay units and watched as the software slowly improved. Performance is good and now that the latest software has banished the 380 - 420 MHz gap it's superb. By the way, the attempts to brand this device as an' RTL dongle with pre-amp' by certain parties here is wide of the mark. RTL dongles have a severely cramped dynamic range of around 50dB because of the 8-bit ADC. The SDRPlay has a 12-bit ADC with 10.4 bits ENOB.
The up-converter which enables coverage <60 MHz was always going to introduce further unwanted signals (they always do unless you spend big bucks on front end filters), but now at least we can 'steer around' any persistent spurii with the converter utility.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Just my 2 cents. The SDRplay are the best bank for you buck when it comes to a SDR for under $150.00. I couldn't be happier with it...

Boatanchor

SDRplay is very good so far - and I own all the 'cheaper' SDR's :)

Ive gotta say that I've owned the Airspy since the first batch were released.
I thought the Airspy was the 'Beez Kneez' for price and performance, then my SDRplay arrived a few days ago..

Now, I'm not so sure. So far, I am very impressed by SDRplay.

My primary concern with any of these things, is how well they receive very low signal strengths on V/UHF.
So far, SDRPlay has beaten Airspy in the S/n comparison on weak signals every time!

Early observations on my SDRPlay:

* Excellent weak signal performance on V/UHF (need to play around with manual Gain settings and don't use 'Auto' gain setting). Better S/n on weak FM & AM signals than Airspy in many cases.
* Frequency stability is not quite as good as Airspy (The TCXO requires a slight ppm tweak of up to +- 2ppm every so often).
* There is an issue with the occasional image that can sometimes not be eliminated by the RX gain control.
* There still appears to be a problem with the SDR# driver. Every so often, when changing frequency, the tuning goes off frequency. It seems to be in multiples of the frequency step setting in SDR#. So for example, if a make a big frequency change, SDR# may be 12.5Khz off frequency. Restart SDR# and the error goes away.
* The dreaded center spur! Jeez, it's a pain. Here is one example where Airspy shines. If using SDR# with the scanner plugin, you cannot set the desired receive frequency at the center of the span/rx bandwidth. If you do, each time the receiver changes frequency, the center spur peaks and stops the scanner plugin until the Correct IQ function eventually eliminates the center spur (maybe). The problem can be eliminated by setting your desired scan channel/frequency either side of the center spur. Regardless, often the center spur cannot be eliminated completely and if so, is typically 10-15dB higher than the noise floor.
* HF perfomance is yet to be evaluated but MW AM broadcast performance below 1.6Mhz seems excellent. Careful adjustment of the Rx gain control is required though to get best reception.
* Loving the mechanically strong USB B socket - Absolutely hate the micro USB on Airspy (gone intermittent again).
* The reduced data bandwidth of SDRplay even at the widest 8Mhz IF bandwitdh is much easier on CPU loadings on medium tier laptops and PC's. Running Airspy and SDR# in 10Mhz mode almost max's out my I5 laptop and didn't leave much cpu horsepower for programs like DSDPlus.

Overall, I'm really liking SDRPlay so far. It has some minor issues, but for the money it seems excellent.

P.S, If you are game enough to actually open the case, you will see only a few tiny IC's, a TCXO reference and a few SMD passives on a relatively large PCB that takes up only 2/3 or the enclosure. The thing could easily have been miniaturized and built inside a USB dongle like a Funcube. But I'm glad they didn't :)

Will report back after more time.

Andy3

* There still appears to be a problem with the SDR# driver. Every so often, when changing frequency, the tuning goes off frequency. It seems to be in multiples of the frequency step setting in SDR#. So for example, if a make a big frequency change, SDR# may be 12.5Khz off frequency. Restart SDR# and the error goes away.

P.S, If you are game enough to actually open the case, you will see only a few tiny IC's, a TCXO reference and a few SMD passives on a relatively large PCB that takes up only 2/3 or the enclosure. The thing could easily have been miniaturized and built inside a USB dongle like a Funcube. But I'm glad they didn't :)

Will report back after more time.

That's interesting. I've never encountered the frequency error, I'll keep my eyes open.
As for delving inside, this is what I've done http://www.freewebs.com/g1hbe/sdrplay.htm
The SDRPlay has reasonable filtering, but if you live close to some local AM stations (I have two stations in the low KW range about 2 miles away and three stations in the 50/100 KW range ten miles away), there can be some interesting effects. Adding the extra filtering helped a lot and I can now run at higher gain levels (and even use the AGC) without problems.
Antenna in use for LF/MW/HF here is the Wellbrook loop, above that a range of homebrew dipoles and yagis. Sensitivity on VHF and UHF is excellent.

Boatanchor

That's interesting. I've never encountered the frequency error, I'll keep my eyes open.
As for delving inside, this is what I've done http://www.freewebs.com/g1hbe/sdrplay.htm
The SDRPlay has reasonable filtering, but if you live close to some local AM stations (I have two stations in the low KW range about 2 miles away and three stations in the 50/100 KW range ten miles away), there can be some interesting effects. Adding the extra filtering helped a lot and I can now run at higher gain levels (and even use the AGC) without problems.
Antenna in use for LF/MW/HF here is the Wellbrook loop, above that a range of homebrew dipoles and yagis. Sensitivity on VHF and UHF is excellent.

Really nice job on the filtering Andy.

Fortunately, my nearest MW broadcasters are 20+ miles away and both of them are only moderate power (few kW each), so not really a problem for me at the moment.

I have noticed that selecting 'Low IF' eliminates the central spur problem but it does restrict maximum display bandwidth to only ~1.5Mhz. Anyway, I need to play with it some more to refine my opinion.

I probably need to also try some different SDR software like HDSDR.

NYG

Nice that a local US distributor is carrying SDRplay. I just ordered one from HRO to add to my device collection.

It looks like the case is plastic, has anyone added shielding to the case?

jonohudson

Hi from Jon at SDRplay - many thanks Boatanchor for the nice feedback on the RSP. I will relay it to our technical team. It's also impressive what Andy3 (G1HBE) has done to provide additional filtering. Finally a big welcome to the US hams who can now enjoy preferential shipping from a local source - plus access to demos in a growing number of Ham Radio Outlet stores. Just google Ham Radio Outlet SDRplay.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDRplay coming, from all I've read, it should be great. My dongle SDRs have been kind of a disappointement. I just hope my laptop doesn't have the USB issues that it occasionally has trying to get it installed and working, like it did with my dongles. It was endlessly frustrating.

wd9ewk

I have an SDRplay coming, from all I've read, it should be great. My dongle SDRs have been kind of a disappointement. I just hope my laptop doesn't have the USB issues that it occasionally has trying to get it installed and working, like it did with my dongles. It was endlessly frustrating.

Once SDRplay released the new Windows API late last month, I have not had issues with the SDRplay on Windows 7 or 10 systems. I have a Win7 Pro laptop and a couple of Win10 tablets, and the SDRplay works well on all of them. I have to keep the IF bandwidth around 2 MHz or less on the tablets, as they can't handle the full 8 MHz bandwidth from the SDRplay. My laptop does fine with any bandwidth I select for the SDRplay. Other than the recent issues with SDRplay compatibility with SDR#, I have been very happy with the SDRplay. Not only do I use it for general reception across its entire range, I have been using mine (with an 8-inch Windows 10 tablet and HDSDR software) as a downlink receiver when working amateur satellites. Fun!

Good luck!

Last edited:

wd9ewk

Any SDRPLay owners in the US: How long did your order sit in customs? The Royal Mail tracking app says mine has been at JFK for a week now...

It may be a moot point now, given that HRO is selling the SDRplay in the US, but mine sat in US Customs at Los Angeles for 3 days when it arrived from the UK in July. Once it was released by Customs, I had it at my PO box in the Phoenix area the next day. Not as fast as the next-day FedEx shipping on the FUNcube Dongles I have ordered in the past, but it wasn't a big deal. Just part of ordering from overseas, I think...

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My SDRplay arrived on Fri morning, I installed it on my laptop without drama (First time ever!) and it fired right up with HDSDR. I tuned it to 162.500 right away, it sounded awful, but it was copyable, I will need to get a USB cable with a ferrite choke in it, the cable I use now is touchy about where it's laying and what it's near. I noticed when I picked up the SDRplay it affected the s-meter reading and sometimes the changes were clearly audible I played around with it and got the WX signal sounding great (Backed the gain way way down), and eventually got some bad sounding FMBC and AMBC. On AM I used a hunk of wire and I used my little mag mount scanner antenna stuck to the top of the storage bins in my cubicle on the VHF. I was unable to get any kind of PS comms on it, My PSR-500 was searching railband and 161.070 was busy all night and I got nothing much at all, regardless of gain. I thought that was odd, as the WX signal is not all that much stronger than the NS dispatcher on 161.070 is.The WX signal is full quieting, but I never heard a peep tuned to 161.070 or 160.230, both are very active in the Toledo area, and they should be able to be heard. I'll play with it more tonight and see what's up, I hope. I have to admit, I'm pretty clueless about HDSDR, I wasn't all that good with the dongles and SDR# either. .

WyoDuner

I've had my SDRplay for about 1 week now and have been putting it through it's paces and overall I am very, very happy with it's performance.

The built-in front end filters are definitely doing their job by keeping strong out of bands signals out of the receiver. However, like any radio or SDR, strong signals within the filter bandpass will cause intermods if the gain is turned up too high.

The ExtIO dll has a nice assortment of adjustments for gain through the various stages, PPM adjustment and LO choices.

Frequency stability is a non-issue as I have noticed no drift whatsoever and my PPM value is set to -1 so pretty darn close.

Sensitivity is as good as anything else I have. I compared very weak HF signals (same antenna of course) received on my Kenwood TS-2000 to the SDRplay and the SDRplay picked up everything the Kenwood could. I can't really ask for more than that. Same story on VHF/UHF - just as sensitive as the Kenwood although I couldn't find any consistent very weak signals to test the lowest limits. Overall, from what I can tell it is very sensitive.

I compared 1090 Mhz ADS-B to my RTL dongles with R820T and R820T2 tuners and the SDRplay performed better giving maybe 2 dB better S/N then the RTL with R820T2 tuner. Too bad I can't find an ADS-B app that supports the SDRplay.

I am seeing no desense on 70cm when transmitting on 2 meters. - again front end filtering is working well there.

So how could the unit be better?
1. Provide a USB cable with Ferrite chokes installed.
2. Install in metal case to help with RF shielding.3.
3. Provide sharper filtering around the amateur bands so that gain can be increased without overload/intermods from strong out-of-ham-bands interference (like the Funcube Pro Plus does).

Perhaps the next version could add these hardware changes for not too much more money.

So, to answer the question about bang for the buck - Considering the SDFRplay is $50 cheaper and covers 100Khz to 2 Ghz and performs well I can't imagine buying an AirSpy for more money with less bandwidth. Nothing wrong with an RTL based SDR but not for $200.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I ordered a couple of USB cables with ferrite chokes on both ends, that should help, as just one of my clip on chokes dropped the hash down on my SDR play about 25%. It's still touchy about being handled, at least here at work, which is RF hell. If I can get it to work even remotely close to my scanners, I should be able to use one of the digital programs to listen to MOTO and NXDN on my laptop, as the CPU usage seems to be less than 10% most of the time listening with the SDRplay. I think here at work, the lack of shielding on the SDRplay will be a major problem. I'll take it home on my days off and see what it does there.

br0adband

People that point out the SDRPlay has no native shielding could just wrap the assembly in some aluminum foil as a stopgap el cheapo measure until more some effective comes along, or place it inside a small metal box as required with a hole on each side for the USB and antenna cables. If the SDRPlay can be easily opened (I have never seen one in person nor a disassembly of it so far) then perhaps one could line the inside of the casing with aluminum foil then tape it off to prevent any potential metal contacts from happening.

Anything that can provide some shielding is better than the bare plastic assembly, that's for sure, especially in an RF dense environment. Having USB cables with the ferrite chokes is a great idea as well, practically a necessity these days so don't go el cheapo on those ever - get higher quality ones and it pays off with better noise floors even considering how good the SNR tends to be with these newer SDR devices coming along.

Every little bit helps... and that saying in a world using hardware based on digital data processing and signals makes it practically ironic to say it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.