Who is Joe Bearcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hi,

This is "Joe Bearcat" (JB for short if you like). First, I want to apologize for the absence of Uniden in the RadioReference.com forums. UPMan's passing hit us all hard and by surprise, and shortly after that hit the global pandemic threw everyone into various stages of isolation, so this delayed the replacement process. That difficulty remains through this day. But Uniden has never abandoned the valued customer base that exists and we have been working behind the scenes to come up with a solution to fill the void left by UPMan's sudden passing. A few issues have come up which need to be addressed and these will be addressed in the appropriate forums. These are largely cosmetic, and are being worked on. We will also have some firmware updates for current models in the coming months (give or take depending on QC approval). Nothing major is planned initially; just squashing some bugs.

I will be assuming some of the duties that UPMan had performed with respect to online forums. This includes acting as a liaison between forum users and Uniden for issues involving Uniden scanners. Such issues include bug reports and to some degree feature requests. While I can pass such requests along to Uniden, there is no guarantee any particular features will be included in current or future model scanners. Joe Bearcat is an online persona and not my real name just as UPMan was not Paul Opitz's real name. I like to keep my personal and professional lives separate. I've heard enough stories from UPMan to believe this is in my best interests.

While I have not officially worked under UPMan except under one recent project as a consultant, I did provide input to him on scanner matters/ideas, and had the pleasure to meet him in person a few times. His shoes are so big I do not believe any one person can fill them adequately, and his passing still saddens me to this say. I'm sure I'm not alone. All I can do is strive to perform the duties I will be taking on as well as he did. That said, I am human and will surely make mistakes, but I promise to try my best to fill my part of those shoes with honor.

Just to give a little bit of my background and experience, I have primarily worked in two-way radio nearly all of my professional life, and have owned and used scanners since the 70's. I have also designed a replacement control system for a Motorola radio as a hobby. That never developed into a commercial product, but it was all but ready. Maybe some day I will explain what happened. So I am familiar with radio/scanner design and control. I own several scanner brands and models, as I'm a big fan of ALL scanners. In fact, there are few brands I do not own. My focus will be on Uniden models. That does not mean I only like Uniden scanners, but I have to stay focused on the reason I'm on the forums.

I am not entirely certain at this point what forums I will be active on, but it is a foregone conclusion RadioReference.com will be a primary forum. Some of the Uniden scanner email lists (especially current models), regional scanner club email lists, and other forums are also entirely likely. This will be a work in progress.

Like UPMan, I cannot guarantee a reply to every email or message received, but I can try to read as many as I can. I will try to adhere to the excellent code of conduct established by UPMan. My email might be announced when it is finalized (addendum: It is now set up), but I may decide to leave it largely unpublished, as online forum contact benefits many who may have the same questions. There may be times when email contact is required, and that will be available.

Please bear with me as I get up to speed - to the level of service UPMan provided, as I try to review the forums for pending issues, and as I get more familiar with the duties I have assumed (including updating the TWIKI which was just a duty added tonight). Again, there are really big shoes to fill. Initially, I would like to focus on specific support issues (bugs and suspected bugs). But please let me review things before hitting me with new ones or with feature requests, or asking when the next model will be released (at this point. I do not know). There has been one model released this past year - the Uniden SR30C. We are fortunate that UPMan was able to release the SDS series before his passing, and we are aware he had a roadmap for many additional features of that series. We are still researching to see what was documented. Still, development of new models continues.

An obvious question might be if I am related to Betty Bearcat who promoted Bearcat products in the 70's. Well, we have to leave some mystery, right? (I miss her too, but not as much as Paul)

Joe Bearcat
Official Uniden Representative
Uniden Scanner Product Manager

P.S. If a forum moderator could move/pin this to the main Uniden Forum page, that would be greatly appreciated.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi Joe,
Glad to see you on the forums and you have some big shoes to fill. :)

If you'd like to be a guest on the "Scanner School" podcast to share your background and updates on Uniden, please reach out to me. I tried to PM you, but you don't seem to have a way of being contacted directly yet on the RR Forums.

A lot of people have been submitting questions to me regarding what I feel the future of Uniden and scanning will be, and I think having you on as a guest would be a great way to reach out and answer some of those questions.

If you can't PM me here, you can email me directly. My email is my first name, Phil at scanner school.com (one word).

I'm happy to see that Uniden still has a few development ideas up their sleeves and it sounds like they picked the perfect person to be the new online representative of the company. Congratulations in your new role! I look forward to what comes next.

Phil / w2lie

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Phil,

Yes, the RR account is still being set up (posts are still moderated, etc.). I would love to appear on your podcast, but I expect the next few months will be very busy catching up on pending items. Perhaps we can arrange the appearance after that time. I should also be more familiar with the path forward then. I am still getting my feet wet. As recent as yesterday duties have been identified which require attention and time.

I am familiar with the work you are doing and it is very much appreciated. I have heard many great things about Scanner School.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Phil,

Yes, the RR account is still being set up (posts are still moderated, etc.). I would love to appear on your podcast, but I expect the next few months will be very busy catching up on pending items. Perhaps we can arrange the appearance after that time. I should also be more familiar with the path forward then. I am still getting my feet wet. As recent as yesterday duties have been identified which require attention and time.

I am familiar with the work you are doing and it is very much appreciated. I have heard many great things about Scanner School.
Hi Joe,
I completely understand that you are going to be busy!
The invitation is open so whenever you have time, please give me a shout.

Again congratulations on the new position.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hi Joe.

Congratulations! I wish you the best of luck on this endeavor.

Thank you. Hopefully luck has less to do with it than skill, but "I would rather be lucky than good". I forget who coined that quote.

WB9YBM

Hi,

This is "Joe Bearcat" (JB for short if you like). First, I want to apologize for the absence of Uniden in the RadioReference.com forums. UPMan's passing hit us all hard and by surprise, and shortly after that hit the global pandemic threw everyone into various stages of isolation, so this delayed the replacement process.

Hi Joe;

Glad to hear you out there! I've been a Uniden / Bearcat user (and fan) since about the 1980s--my oldest scanner is from that era (a 200-channel hand-held). It still works great, and during all those years had to send it in for service only once (I was pleasantly surprised such an old scanner was still supported by your repair team!). Between how well the scanner (still!) performs and the positive way I've been treated by your crew, I'm planning to remain a loyal customer.

There are a couple of things on my "wish list" for scanner functions that I'd enjoy seeing in the future: a signal strength meter (maybe just bar graph below the frequency display?) so we can optimize our antennas, find good hot-spots to listen from, etc. Also maybe a line-level output for recording (logging)...

I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there with additional ideas!

WB9YBM

Hi,

This is "Joe Bearcat" (JB for short if you like). First, I want to apologize for the absence of Uniden in the RadioReference.com forums. UPMan's passing hit us all hard and by surprise, and shortly after that hit the global pandemic threw everyone into various stages of isolation, so this delayed the replacement process.

Hi Joe;

Glad to hear you out there! I've been a Uniden / Bearcat user (and fan) since about the 1980s--my oldest scanner is from that era (a 200-channel hand-held). It still works great, and during all those years had to send it in for service only once (I was pleasantly surprised such an old scanner was still supported by your repair team!). Between how well the scanner (still!) performs and the positive way I've been treated by your crew, I'm planning to remain a loyal customer.

There are a couple of things on my "wish list" for scanner functions that I'd enjoy seeing in the future: a signal strength meter (maybe just bar graph below the frequency display?) so we can optimize our antennas, find good hot-spots to listen from, etc. Also maybe a line-level output for recording (logging)...

I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there with additional ideas!

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Several models do have a bar graph S-meter, but 5 segments is not the best indication. The SDS series does have a much more detailed RSSI indication (reference in dBm) that can be assigned to the display as well as NOISE and D(igital)-ERROR for digital decoding analysis.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

This is "Joe Bearcat" (JB for short if you like). First, I want to apologize for the absence of Uniden in the RadioReference.com forums. UPMan's passing hit us all hard and by surprise, and shortly after that hit the global pandemic threw everyone into various stages of isolation, so this delayed the replacement process. That difficulty remains through this day. But Uniden has never abandoned the valued customer base that exists and we have been working behind the scenes to come up with a solution to fill the void left by UPMan's sudden passing. A few issues have come up which need to be addressed and these will be addressed in the appropriate forums. These are largely cosmetic, and are being worked on. We will also have some firmware updates for current models in the coming months (give or take depending on QC approval). Nothing major is planned initially; just squashing some bugs.

I will be assuming some of the duties that UPMan had performed with respect to online forums. This includes acting as a liaison between forum users and Uniden for issues involving Uniden scanners. Such issues include bug reports and to some degree feature requests. While I can pass such requests along to Uniden, there is no guarantee any particular features will be included in current or future model scanners. Joe Bearcat is an online persona and not my real name just as UPMan was not Paul Opitz's real name. I like to keep my personal and professional lives separate. I've heard enough stories from UPMan to believe this is in my best interests.

While I have not officially worked under UPMan except under one recent project as a consultant, I did provide input to him on scanner matters/ideas, and had the pleasure to meet him in person a few times. His shoes are so big I do not believe any one person can fill them adequately, and his passing still saddens me to this say. I'm sure I'm not alone. All I can do is strive to perform the duties I will be taking on as well as he did. That said, I am human and will surely make mistakes, but I promise to try my best to fill my part of those shoes with honor.

Just to give a little bit of my background and experience, I have primarily worked in two-way radio nearly all of my professional life, and have owned and used scanners since the 70's. I have also designed a replacement control system for a Motorola radio as a hobby. That never developed into a commercial product, but it was all but ready. Maybe some day I will explain what happened. So I am familiar with radio/scanner design and control. I own several scanner brands and models, as I'm a big fan of ALL scanners. In fact, there are few brands I do not own. My focus will be on Uniden models. That does not mean I only like Uniden scanners, but I have to stay focused on the reason I'm on the forums.

I am not entirely certain at this point what forums I will be active on, but it is a foregone conclusion RadioReference.com will be a primary forum. Some of the Uniden scanner email lists (especially current models), regional scanner club email lists, and other forums are also entirely likely. This will be a work in progress.

Like UPMan, I cannot guarantee a reply to every email or message received, but I can try to read as many as I can. I will try to adhere to the excellent code of conduct established by UPMan. My email might be announced when it is finalized (addendum: It is now set up), but I may decide to leave it largely unpublished, as online forum contact benefits many who may have the same questions. There may be times when email contact is required, and that will be available.

Please bear with me as I get up to speed - to the level of service UPMan provided, as I try to review the forums for pending issues, and as I get more familiar with the duties I have assumed (including updating the TWIKI which was just a duty added tonight). Again, there are really big shoes to fill. Initially, I would like to focus on specific support issues (bugs and suspected bugs). But please let me review things before hitting me with new ones or with feature requests, or asking when the next model will be released (at this point. I do not know). There has been one model released this past year - the Uniden SR30C. We are fortunate that UPMan was able to release the SDS series before his passing, and we are aware he had a roadmap for many additional features of that series. We are still researching to see what was documented. Still, development of new models continues.

An obvious question might be if I am related to Betty Bearcat who promoted Bearcat products in the 70's. Well, we have to leave some mystery, right? (I miss her too, but not as much as Paul)

Joe Bearcat
Official Uniden Representative
Uniden Scanner Product Manager

P.S. If a forum moderator could move/pin this to the main Uniden Forum page, that would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome Joe Bearcat! Thank you for your notification. Not knowing Uniden’s status after the pandemic and Paul’s passing was raising conspiracy theories that had Uniden going out of business! Glad to see Uniden is back. But I would be remiss if I didn’t let you know I hold Uniden at fault for letting the feeling of not knowing linger on for a year. There must have been someone in top management that could have occasionally given us a sitrep.

WB9YBM

Several models do have a bar graph S-meter, but 5 segments is not the best indication. The SDS series does have a much more detailed RSSI indication (reference in dBm) that can be assigned to the display as well as NOISE and D(igital)-ERROR for digital decoding analysis.

Thank you for the update! I guess I need to get myself updated with the new models!

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Welcome Joe Bearcat! Thank you for your notification. Not knowing Uniden’s status after the pandemic and Paul’s passing was raising conspiracy theories that had Uniden going out of business! Glad to see Uniden is back. But I would be remiss if I didn’t let you know I hold Uniden at fault for letting the feeling of not knowing linger on for a year. There must have been someone in top management that could have occasionally given us a sitrep.

I want to address this but will have to do that later this weekend when I can devote the time it deserves.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Joe, are the NOISE and ERROR labels you refer to shown in the display? I don’t see them on my SDS200. Possibly because I don’t use the analyze function? I use RSSI and the 5 bar S meter...

Status
Not open for further replies.