Wi-Fi Support Update Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
My iPad can do that

Thanks for mentioning this.
I've had this app for four years, and it is one of the most popular apps in the Google Store.

However, the best thing about this app is not what it does for Android phone/tablet users. It's what happens when you show it to a iPad owner. The typical iPad owner says, "My iPad can do that".

It can't. Apple bans such apps from their store, and when they find one hidden in their store, they remove it.

It seems that such apps need to use an "unauthorized" API (interface to the OS) in order to obtain the required information, and Apple doesn't allow that.

daveharpe

You don't want to be on the "in-between" channels - it is better to actually share a channel with other "loud" neighbors because of the nature of the 802.11 system. Co channel users (those on the same channel) must coordinate their usage with each other and therefore will "talk" to each other to best "share resources" (bandwidth). Those signals that are on nearby but off-center channels get treated as random noise and therefore cannot be "negotiated with". This is why it is always recommended to stay on either 1, 6, or 11 in the US on the 2.4GHz band as those channels do not overlap the 802.11 bandwidth.

So, yes, sharing the channel with others means that your signals must negotiate with the other users on that channel BUT that is usually better than dealing with non-negotiable noise.

-Mike

All of what you say is true if you are dealing with equal power levels where everyone can "talk" to one another as in a campus/office installation with regularly spaced nodes. But generally in a home wifi situation as described above you're dealing with a very strong primary channel (yours) and several somewhat spurious nearby noisy neighbors at a much reduced power. If you don't park on top of a neighboring channel you have a pretty clear primary and spurious noise on the fringes, all which falls off rather quickly. Keep in mind it's bidirectional - it's not just about whether you can hear them but whether they can hear you as well. Huge difference.

YMMV. I've had good luck with the above strategy in several installations and different locations, verified with various speed performance measurements.

daveharpe

...also if you want to read a really deep scholarly article on why the old never-do-overlapping-channels mindset is not always valid, here's a good read:
https://upcommons.upc.edu/e-prints/bitstream/2117/1234/1/CrownCom07_CReady.pdf

Pure coincidence but it actually uses the interference example I referenced in my Wifi Analyzer snap.

Also if you're wondering why I went to 4 instead of 9, the higher channels are closer to microwave oven frequencies...with 9 being where most microwave ovens operate.

Last edited:

Mike_G_D

daveharpe, thank you! I will study that article! I knew the non-overlapping "rule" breaks down at lower levels of "undesired's" relative to one's desired ("bidirectionality breakdown" meaning not everyone "hears" the negotiating "terms" even if co-channel). But, I assumed, in general, co-channel users of sufficient strength would still dominate the system. We all know what "assuming" can mean, of course...:-/!

I am very interested in the article and will study it.

Didn't mean to divert off topic sorry all!

-Mike

Voyager

Actually, in the situation shown above, the best channels to use with the least interference would be 9 or 10.

10 perhaps, but not 9, as it would get interference from the other users on 11 AND 6 (twice the chance of an interfering signal compared with 10 or 11).

Voyager

Which would you prefer? Occasional interference from a microwave (usually only in immediate vicinity, as they are non-radiators) or constant potential interference from other WiFi that is intended to transmit? (hint: there is no RIGHT answer)

N6RDC

Wow.....can't believe this post is now 39 pages, when I first saw it I thought I'd better read all of it before attempting to set up my dongle. I'm glad I did, I'm no network expert but with so much info I got the dongle updated, RH software set up, audio player going and was successful on my first attempt!
Thanks to Paul (and Uniden) as well as everyone else who posted here, couldn't have done it without all the resources. It's a pretty tricky bunch of stuff to go through but considering it's all a preliminary release and a work in progress I couldn't be happier,
Thanks
N6RDC

TedRHayes

RH-536HP "Function" Key

Been experimenting with the RH-536HP to control the scanner. I know you can cause the scanner to "Hold" on a System, Department, or Channel, by clicking on the appropriate area on the application. But if I want to apply a "Site Hold" I can find no way to activated the hold. On the scanner you press the Function button then the DEPT button; I can find no way to activate the Function button on the RH-536HP application. Any suggestions?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I don't recall a solution for that in that app. Keep in mind it's a very basic, proof-of-concept test mule.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Been experimenting with the RH-536HP to control the scanner. I know you can cause the scanner to "Hold" on a System, Department, or Channel, by clicking on the appropriate area on the application. But if I want to apply a "Site Hold" I can find no way to activated the hold. On the scanner you press the Function button then the DEPT button; I can find no way to activate the Function button on the RH-536HP application. Any suggestions?

Do you have a different Quick Key applied to each site in the system? If so you should be able to turn off QKs for all the sites you don't want to monitor. That's how it works on the scanner anyway. I haven't used the RH536 software so just theorizing.

G

TedRHayes

Do you have a different Quick Key applied to each site in the system? If so you should be able to turn off QKs for all the sites you don't want to monitor. That's how it works on the scanner anyway. I haven't used the RH536 software so just theorizing.

G

It's not that big a deal, I can just reach over and perform the Site Hold on the scanner itself. I was just curious if there was a keystroke or something on the RH-536HP that acted like the Function button. It would surprise me that that ability would not be implemented, even if it was the application was just implemented as an engineering test tool.

paranoia11

no update

I tried All the methods to update my wifi dongle I just hooked it up to my scanner and got it connected to my network, no problem, but my siren app just has a setup screen.

I did put the ip in my settings on the app but nothing just options on the screen,but when I looked at the scanner screen I noticed it says version 4.06, if that is my dongle version I need a update, but I did a search and downloaded all the zip files and my computer would not finish the install, I googled it even, but nothing I did, would let me update the dongle firmware, so after 2.5 hours of frustration I gave up , any recent instructions and information and advice I would really be grateful. thank you. Mark

PS I have a W7 64 bit system with 16 gigs of ram and 1.5 terabyte hard drive,

marksmith

The fact that there are 700+ posts to this thread is testimony to how simple it is to set up, and how reliable it is once you get it going.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
And most people have no idea what is required to set up a proper network and if you are talking using multiple pieces of software then it becomes harder. 5 out of 20 people here might know how to trace an IP address that same 5 might know how to ping an address 2 out of 20 might know how to port forward a router. If there is not a piece of software to set these devices up for the users 15 out of 20 are lost and ask questions plug and play and GUI's have made computing simple for most people. Less than 15 minutes my 536 was out of the box firmware updated dongle firmware updated addressed cloned to my 436 and on my network connected to PROSCAN

paranoia11

The fact that there are 700+ posts to this thread is testimony to how simple it is to set up, and how reliable it is once you get it going.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

BC_WF1_V7_28.bin file , is not there when I need to point to it for the update, and I follow the directions exactly.
yes from this page,and I use winrar to unzip.

BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Status
Not open for further replies.