• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Won't Sell To Commercial Clients????

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4APR

:lol: That's hilarious.

If you are selling a product, eventually it will end up in the hands of the competition. It's silly for them to waste their time worrying about that issue.

I find this funny as well! When I was working for a Moto shop in Roanoke, about an hour from Lynchburg, I was contacted by (then MA/Com) engineering asking if I could program some conventional analog and P25 frequencies into some XTS5000 portables they had aquired. Out of curiosity, I asked them what they were up to and the guy on the phone actually said to me "We want to figure out how Motorola does P25 better than we do.".

Sounds like they are OK with it, when they do it, but not OK when they think someone else is up to the same game. Kind of reminds me of the stealing battle between Apple and Microsoft, in the early days. Does Xerox ring a bell with anyone? :D

gesucks

Mbitr

Call up Thales and inquire about the clear MBITR. You will get the same story there too, but at least in a much more pleasant manner.

The reason Thales will not quote or sell you an MBITR is that it is illegal to sell a non-type accepted radio to anyone but the federal government or military in the US. Now if you asked for a Liberty, they will sell to anyone just like Motorola and an APX.

mancow

Database Admin
Very true, I forgot that it's not type accepted and shouldn't have used it as an example.

The reason Thales will not quote or sell you an MBITR is that it is illegal to sell a non-type accepted radio to anyone but the federal government or military in the US. Now if you asked for a Liberty, they will sell to anyone just like Motorola and an APX.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
All radio companies acquire examples of other brands for evaluation. I know for a fact that even some "second rate" companies are eagerly analyzing their newly acquired APX7000s and Unitys in the hopes of figuring out how to make a genuinely competitive product at a lower cost.

It doesn't take a lot to do this. Especially now. Rebanding has played a part in this, as many agencies
got really smart when they first got wind of rebanding to come in the future, and started saving up ALL
their radios as they wore out or were replaced with newer ones. All those old radios were valid for one-for-one trade-ins per the rebanding rules. So the agencies ended up with a great number of
extra brand new in the box radios...for free. No rule or law says they can't resell them. This is how
some brand new radios have entered the open market. Even some individuals got in on this, by
taking their stock of STX's or M-PDs and making a deal with an agency to swap them out for them...and take a cut for themselves.

As for the quality of M/A-Com (now Harris) equipment and systems, I really need to be quite clear about this.

I'm a Motorolan at heart. I've always liked Motorola's public safety radio products and consider them to be hands down the best on the market, overall. My experience with Motorola products spans from the Motrac mobile and HT220 portable radios to the present day APX line. I can practically draw some of their schematics from memory. I also have a fair amount of experience with the GE (and later brands) products as well.

It's really simple: Both brands work. Both brands have their gems, and their dogs, too. EDACS
is a very solid, very reliable trunked system. So is SmartNet/SmartZone. But both brands have had issues with digital systems, no matter what they're called. Astro digital and ProVoice digital both have serious limitations on voice quality and intelligibility. They're getting better with each successive firmware release, though. I do think that the build quality of Motorola's portable radios today is FAR superior to the build quality of M/A-Com/Harris P5100/7100/7200 and other recent series radios, and I also think that for the most part, the RF performance of Motorola portable radios is superior to those mentioned M/A-Com models, but that is not to say that I think that the M/A-Com
radios are poor performers. They're actually quite decent, mostly. I simply think Motorola makes
a BETTER portable radio.

When it comes to mobile radios, though, I'd have to be honest about it and tell you that I think the M/A-Com M7100 and M7200 radios are extremely solid radios in every respect. It's hard for me to say that I'd prefer an XTL or APX mobile radio to an M7200, if both radios served my needs. The M7100/M7200 is a worthy competitor on level ground with the XTL and APX mobiles.

Harris isn't going to go away. The federal government WANTS multiple radio vendors available to them
and will place enough orders to ensure that nobody is going to be forced out of business. And, Harris has a HIGHLY competent engineering staff that will require Motorola's engineers to stay on their toes and not get complacent. There has never been a better engineering staff behind the radio family once owned by GE.

The end result is that customers win. Better competition makes better products. This isn't bad for ANYBODY.

Elroy

jparks29

John McClane

uncon.jpg

prcguy

A Thales MBITR or Harris PRC-152 and their variants would not come under the heading stamped on your M-16 magazine. These radios are considered "munitions" when dealing with export and must go through some paperwork to ship them out of the US.

Even old 1960s vintage PRC-25 radios and most other surplus US military electronics are in the same category, if you ship them out of the country without a license its big trouble.

I laugh and cringe at the same time when I see US mil radios on Ebay and the ending buyer is in a foreign country. The feds watch that stuff and many people have been busted.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.