WS1088 feature requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Just my 2 cents, I would like Whistler to make the attenuate button on the 1080 a key that can be set for priority on/off or any other option you may want. I never use it for attenuation so I think the ability to use it any way you want would be great. I do realize the 1088 and TRX-1 have a priority button.

Well, I have on my list already adding 3, 4 or 5 programmable softkeys to a new model radio. Kind of like the 1040 has, they can use them to select menu options when in menus. But, let us program them for any function we want when not in menu's. So, for your case you could just program the F1 softkey to be "PRI" if there wasn't already a Pri key. And you could make F2 just goto your local FD channel. So if your in Search mode looking for airplanes or something, and suddenly you hear your local FD siren going off, you just hit the F2 and your immediately on the local FD. Just some examples...

I love the idea of programmable buttons. Everyone can do whatever it is they want to do with them... and they can also be helpful making menu selections as on the ws1040. And if it is put on a Touchscreen unit with no buttons, you just allow for making programmable "virtual" "touch buttons" at the bottom or top of the screen. In that case, they wouldn't have to limit for the number of "virtual" programmable buttons. You could add 50 of your own "buttons", you would just have to scroll thru them.. down the display.

Now we are getting somewhere!! ;)

pb_lonny

That was an example of making a radio (HF) easier, similar to making a scanner easier. If your having problems figuring out the comparison logically, I don't know what to tell ya. :confused:

I understand that.

Now to me (and I MIGHT be wrong) a scanner is designed to scan / search various frequencies. You program in various frequencies or a search range either via the keypad or using software (I regularly do both), it then scans / searches these frequencies until it finds a signal.

Here is a link to a video to show this concept in action: VKPC7PB: How a Radio Scanner Works

Zamson25

Premium Subscriber
Well, I have on my list already adding 3, 4 or 5 programmable softkeys to a new model radio. Kind of like the 1040 has, they can use them to select menu options when in menus. But, let us program them for any function we want when not in menu's. So, for your case you could just program the F1 softkey to be "PRI" if there wasn't already a Pri key. And you could make F2 just goto your local FD channel. So if your in Search mode looking for airplanes or something, and suddenly you hear your local FD siren going off, you just hit the F2 and your immediately on the local FD. Just some examples...

I love the idea of programmable buttons. Everyone can do whatever it is they want to do with them... and they can also be helpful making menu selections as on the ws1040. And if it is put on a Touchscreen unit with no buttons, you just allow for making programmable "virtual" "touch buttons" at the bottom or top of the screen. In that case, they wouldn't have to limit for the number of "virtual" programmable buttons. You could add 50 of your own "buttons", you would just have to scroll thru them.. down the display.

Now we are getting somewhere!! ;)

I like where your head's at. I am buying a TRX 1 soon so I will not really care about the lack of a pri on/off button on the 1080. Programmable keys would be awesome though.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I understand that.

Now to me (and I MIGHT be wrong) a scanner is designed to scan / search various frequencies. You program in various frequencies or a search range either via the keypad or using software (I regularly do both), it then scans / searches these frequencies until it finds a signal.

Here is a link to a video to show this concept in action: VKPC7PB: How a Radio Scanner Works

So you do nothing but "scan" frequencies? You never stop and LISTEN to what is on those frequencies/channels?

If I were you, I would go back and watch those video's, and you will find there is a whole other world to your scanner. your missing out on. It is actually a receiver, and you can actually tune to a frequency and listen to things like PD, FD, other agencies.... What do you do, turn your volume all the way down and watch the numbers change on the display as it scans?

Really dude? Go find another thread to play with dad's keyboard.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I like where your head's at. I am buying a TRX 1 soon so I will not really care about the lack of a pri on/off button on the 1080. Programmable keys would be awesome though.

Yep, they sure would be for those things you do all the time. A quick easy way to access something you do often. ;)

pb_lonny

So you do nothing but "scan" frequencies? You never stop and LISTEN to what is on those frequencies/channels?

If I were you, I would go back and watch those video's, and you will find there is a whole other world to your scanner. your missing out on. It is actually a receiver, and you can actually tune to a frequency and listen to things like PD, FD, other agencies.... What do you do, turn your volume all the way down and watch the numbers change on the display as it scans?

Really dude? Go find another thread to play with dad's keyboard.

Of course I LISTEN, when it stops on a frequency I can listen to the frequency if I want, hit scan to move on to another frequency or lock out the frequency if I don't want to listen to that frequency. I can also turn on and off banks as I need to.

What I am trying to say is that the current way that scanners work is fine with me and I suspect most other users. You seem to constantly attack the scanner manufactures for not providing the interface in the way that you think it should be setup. I am all for progress and making improvements when and as needed but adding things like text search and programmable keys is really taking away from the core function of a radio scanner which is to scan radio frequencies.

Make suggestions, offer ideas and provide feedback but do this in a positive way of saying how things could be better, not how bad you think things are at the moment.

As for your last comment, I am not even going to respond to that.

Last edited:

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I am all for progress and making improvements when and as needed but adding things like text search and programmable keys is really taking away from the core function of a radio scanner which is to scan radio frequencies.

Please explain how adding a feature, takes something away from the core of the scanner? Sorry, your logic is really bad. We are not taking away anything you have. You can go down in the cave, and play with the scanner just as you do now, rest assured. We are trying to add other things, that you may or may not use. We really don't care. But WE want them. Go away already. geeeesh.

Make suggestions, offer ideas and provide feedback but do this in a positive way of saying how things could be better, not how bad you think things are at the moment.

How do I provide positive feedback for a BAD interface? Hey, I just ORDERED the scanner!! I just plopped down $500 for the TRX-1. How is that for "positive?? BUT, now I would like for them to make it and any newly designed scanner BETTER! Is that a crime???

Relax, the world is not ending, and nobody is going to take your scanner away because we have submitted we do not like the way the scanners currently work.

If you really like the way they are now, then go over to another thread and have fun discussing how much you like it. I promise you, I will NOT go on that thread and argue with you, and tell you not to have an opinion. I would not waste my time, and I wonder why you waste yours? You work for them??? Makes me wonder.....

MY OPINION IS, I DO NOT LIKE THE CURRENT SCANNER INTERFACES! PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Your NOT going to change that opinion. And what you do not understand in your short sidedness is, LOTS of people think the same thing I do. They are just afraid to say it, because of people like you attacking them, and defending the manufacture of your precious scanner.

FYI: I spoke at length with a Whistler rep/engineer about all of this. And I hate to be the one to inform you, but HE AGREED WITH ME!

Now please, give it up already.

Last edited:

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Guys, calm down. Provide your feedback to Whistler, THEY ARE LISTENING. After dealing with some folks at Whistler, I believe they are ready and willing to try to implement new features. If it can be done, I'm sure it will be done in time.

I believe the TRX-1 and TRX-2 work very well as they stand at the moment. I also believe there are things that could be done to make them much better. As a scanning community we wanted NXDN, Whistler gave us NXDN. In the latest update they gave us some new features that folks had asked for. IMHO, Whistler has proven they want to support their customer base. They continue to support their products after the sale, and the customer support in my case, has been fantastic.

Let's get back to the topic of new feature requests.

CycleSycho

:confused: A moderator SHOULD come in and stop the BS going on here. Can THIS post get back on track for suggested features, or will some continue to belittle? :confused:

:wink: Above posted 21 Feb :wink:

Guys, calm down. Provide your feedback to Whistler, THEY ARE LISTENING.... ...Let's get back to the topic of new feature requests.

:wink: This posted early this morning. :wink:

:wink: Nuff said? :wink:

JoeRoss

up dates for Whistler 1088

I would like to see a counter (hits) for this scanner, so I could go over saved freqs and eliminate those that don't have any hits.
thank u

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
THEY ARE LISTENING.

Hi everyone -
Just wanted to chime in here and say YES WE ARE LISTENING.

We here at Whistler value ALL of your suggestions, insights, thoughts and crazy ideas.

As many of you know, but I will mention again in case there are any newbies to join, we have set up an email address especially for you to let us know your suggestions, requests and yes - opinions.

We catalog them all and on a regular basis during our product development meetings we review them.

The email address is scannersuggestions@whistlergroup.com

So, let us know how we're doing, what suggestions and what we can do to be better!

WE'RE LISTENING!

Happy Scanning!
Whistler Wendy

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
THEY ARE LISTENING.

Hi everyone -

We here at Whistler value ALL of your suggestions, insights, thoughts and crazy ideas.

As many of you know, but I will mention again in case there are any newbies to join, we have set up an email address especially for you to let us know your suggestions, requests and yes - opinions.

We catalog them all and on a regular basis during our product development meetings we review them.

So, let us know how we're doing, what suggestions and what we can do to be better!

WE'RE LISTENING!

Happy Scanning!

Whistler Wendy

Awesome post!

pb_lonny

I would like to see a counter (hits) for this scanner, so I could go over saved freqs and eliminate those that don't have any hits.
thank u

My old UBC9000XLT has this and I used it all the time. I now run a laptop to do this.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Guys, calm down. Provide your feedback to Whistler, THEY ARE LISTENING. After dealing with some folks at Whistler, I believe they are ready and willing to try to implement new features. If it can be done, I'm sure it will be done in time.

I believe the TRX-1 and TRX-2 work very well as they stand at the moment. I also believe there are things that could be done to make them much better. As a scanning community we wanted NXDN, Whistler gave us NXDN. In the latest update they gave us some new features that folks had asked for. IMHO, Whistler has proven they want to support their customer base. They continue to support their products after the sale, and the customer support in my case, has been fantastic.

Let's get back to the topic of new feature requests.

Right on! And I agree with hall of that.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone -

WE'RE LISTENING!

Happy Scanning!
Whistler Wendy

Yes you are, and THANK YOU for that!! A very smart move on Whistlers part. That will beat any "marketing" you can ever do. I've got a nice list compiled for the suggestion box. Will send it in a few days after I have some time on the TRX-1 playing with it.

And perfect timing because Santa just dropped off a package at my front door, looks to be a TRX-1 scanner. Batteries charging.... will fire it up in a few hours. :D

Ubbe

thank u

And as the scanner have a date and clock calender it could date stamp those hits.
As I see it, it is a stripped down record function that do not save any audio and increment a counter when the same display text are saved when already found in memory. A seperate HITS folder for this would be great.

/Ubbe

Machria

Premium Subscriber
And as the scanner have a date and clock calender it could date stamp those hits.
As I see it, it is a stripped down record function that do not save any audio and increment a counter when the same display text are saved when already found in memory. A seperate HITS folder for this would be great.

/Ubbe

I like that thinking... I a separate folder. I'll update that one on the list to wording close to this. Thanks...

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Anything else? So far, my first 24 hours with the TRX-1 has been great. The interface is waaaaaaay better than my Uniden interface. But I have to sit down and read the manual/docs, and really dig into it.

So far I have the following list of things I would like to see done on the TRX-1, I have a separate list for a future scanner.

1. Li-ion battery pack and charging dock station
2. Text Search
3. Fire Tone-Out Search and Standby
4. Search & Store while in Signal Stalker mode
5. Channel Hit Counter
6. Make a rubber protective case that does not need to be removed in order to change the batteries. -OR- just implement #1! :wink:
7. Allow entering text using the FULL KEYBOARD
8. Add a Menu list location indicator/bar (where am I in the list, at the top, middle, bottom...?)

Melv7956

Ok my thoughts on feature requests for my trx-1 and 2. First thing more than one limit search. I find it frustrating that I have to manually input different frequency search ranges when out. I think all my unidens had multiple search ranges. Whilst on this topic whistler recently added up to I think 220mhz for the uk but spectrum sweeper does not cover this range that's a big shame. Whilst talking of spectrum sweeper firstly I would like to say well done this is far better than close call ever was on my unidens and it finds a hell of a lot more. However, something annoying about it is if it finds a DMR channel it will output all the horrible data stream. Even if it stops on a channel where users are talking it will decode the voice but once they finish talking you get the horrible data, this doesn't happen in limit search so I would like that fixed.

Some have mentioned it does not have a search and store feature but it does and does it better. Set the scanner to record on search and you not only have all your search finds stored but you will have the conversations recorded which makes it easy to Id the user. Well done whistler.
I know there are other features that I have forgotten that I would like implementing so no doubt I will report back soon. Like to say thank you to whistler for bringing scanning back to life in the UK as all our emergency services use a system called airwave and have been for over ten years fully encrypted and with other users migrating to dmr my scanners have collected dust for too long and I had given up on the hobby but now I'm finding new stuff to listen to on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.