• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100P with Pi-star hotspot

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I have my XG-100P set up for P25 on my uhf pi-star hotspot frequency. Since it is simplex that part was simple, NAC is 293 on both Tx and RX.

My hotspot was connected to the 10200 reflector and it saw about 6 different call signs in a 4 hour period, doesn't seem to be very active. Where is an active P25 reflector?

Can anyone advise how the XG-100P should be programed for correct operation?

Thanks in advance.

SCANHF

P25

Above link has half of P25 groups. Alabama & TGIF most busy. Beyond that most of the TG are not busy like BM is.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
P25

Above link has half of P25 groups. Alabama & TGIF most busy. Beyond that most of the TG are not busy like BM is.
Thanks, I saw that list and the pi-star list, guess I'll keep trying different reflectors and playing with programming until I get it right.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
There is also the master list from PiStar directly: P25 Reflector List - pistar.uk

There isn't a huge amount of traffic unless it's linked to other modes. I would suggest using 10 Parrot to check your settings and see how you sound.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
There is also the master list from PiStar directly: P25 Reflector List - pistar.uk

There isn't a huge amount of traffic unless it's linked to other modes. I would suggest using 10 Parrot to check your settings and see how you sound.
For some reason the hotspot refuses to connect to any reflector today. Over the weekend I could connect to any reflector.

weird happening, my hotspot identifies me as W8XS and not WB4SQI when I transmit. Not sure where that is originating from.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
For some reason the hotspot refuses to connect to any reflector today. Over the weekend I could connect to any reflector.

weird happening, my hotspot identifies me as W8XS and not WB4SQI when I transmit. Not sure where that is originating from.
Check your ID in your radio. It should be 3139259 vs 3139252 (probably a typo). Also, if you ID is off, it could be blocking you from connecting because PiStar may be in private node mode.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Check your ID in your radio. It should be 3139259 vs 3139252 (probably a typo). Also, if you ID is off, it could be blocking you from connecting because PiStar may be in private node mode.
That was it! I had 3139248 instead of 3139258. Hotspot identifies me now.

Next problem, I can't link to any reflectors today. Over the weekend I was able to link to several with no problem.

SCANHF

Thanks, I saw that list and the pi-star list, guess I'll keep trying different reflectors and playing with programming until I get it right.

Try 858 San Diego

& 31078 Papa <!

Last edited:

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Update & upgrade pistar then reboot. Sometimes it hangs.

Are you trying to link/change TGs via the web or my changing TG on the radio? Does disconnect work and announce disconnected?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I am running pi-star version 4.1.18 on two different hotspots (different freqs too). I am trying to establish a reflector link on both units but after sending a link request my Admin page shows unlinked. Neither one will link to tg10, parrot either. I have gone through the update process on both. Hotspots are PI zero W. Both worked well on DMR and D-star networks, no reason not to function on P25. They both recognize my radio on TG1.

I rebooted last night and both units defaulted to reflector 10201. After running for 12 hours they both showed some activity but it was sparse, less than 6 different callsigns. When I transmit to either hotspot they immediately unlink and admin page shows "not linked".

I just reconfigured one hotspot to 31010 and it shows linked but as soon as I transmit it will unlink. appreciate any help.....

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
There is a bug where the status/admin page shows "not linked" but you are still linked to whichever TG you were previously linked to. Have you checked your BER/tuned the hotspot?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
No, my BER is between 1 and 2%. I'll dig up the tuning instructions and take a look. Good to know about the bug, thanks for that.

But, to my surprise I have been listening to the Papa reflector for the last couple of hours. Good to know that at least one of the hotspots is working.

Any reflectors on this end of the country with activity?

trido

Premium Subscriber
I have my XG-100P set up for P25 on my uhf pi-star hotspot frequency. Since it is simplex that part was simple, NAC is 293 on both Tx and RX.

My hotspot was connected to the 10200 reflector and it saw about 6 different call signs in a 4 hour period, doesn't seem to be very active. Where is an active P25 reflector?

Can anyone advise how the XG-100P should be programed for correct operation?

Thanks in advance.
P-25 via a Hotspot do we need to PTT like 10200 with our XG100P to activate it?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
P-25 via a Hotspot do we need to PTT like 10200 with our XG100P to activate it?
Yes, PTT to link is required. I do vaguely remember there was a bug I noticed that you have to PTT twice to get the voice announcement it was linked, but it would be linked the first time.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Update: Shut down one of my Pi zero hotspots and upgraded a Pi 3B with latest pi-star firmware. Moved both closer to my router and have been able to link to Alabama and North America talkgroups. Overnight monitoring shows some activity but nothing like D-star 30C. I now believe that my wifi signal to the hotspots was not consistently strong enough to establish links.

My initial conclusion is that the amateur community doesn't support P25 as well as other amateur modes, likely due to the lack of easily accessible equipment. Maybe if B-tech and Anytone offered P25 radios activity would pick up.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Update: Shut down one of my Pi zero hotspots and upgraded a Pi 3B with latest pi-star firmware. Moved both closer to my router and have been able to link to Alabama and North America talkgroups. Overnight monitoring shows some activity but nothing like D-star 30C. I now believe that my wifi signal to the hotspots was not consistently strong enough to establish links.

My initial conclusion is that the amateur community doesn't support P25 as well as other amateur modes, likely due to the lack of easily accessible equipment. Maybe if B-tech and Anytone offered P25 radios activity would pick up.
A lot of lightly used P25 monoband radios have made it to the used market if one knows where to look.

Based on specs, the Btech/Anytone dual bander is just as good as radios produced 10 years ago for commercial monoband purposes.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I have a good P25 radio, just trying to become active with that mode. I have a Btech DMR dual bander but haven't turned it on for months.
D-star has been my favorite for 6 months but after acquiring a Harris commercial radio I thought it's time to check out P25.

Now that I have my radio correctly programmed it works very well on the pi-star hotpot.

Thanks to all who responded with help.