• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XL-200 Newbie Questions

CaptainEqs

I just got a Harris XL-200.

I've been standardized on Motorola Astro Sabers, but came on a good deal for this Harris, and the idea of getting rid of the Bat Belt look made it worth making the move.

That said, I'm completely new to Harris, and poking around online got me some info and some confusion, so I'm asking some questions. I am NOT REPEAT NOT looking for any information which is sensitive (as in bannable). If it seems that I am, please assume the question was based in ignorance, not trying to get away with anything.

The Harris people have been VERY helpful, even though they don't really know about ham stuff -- AND even though I told them that I was looking at a used radio and a single user, so not going to be a major market for sales. OTOH, I will not hesitate to mention this level of support, if I run across someone who might be looking for a bunch of radios. I'm trying to avoid taking up their time, so I'm here instead.

My use is a combination of ham (analog and P25), commercial and SAR. That means that I don't need encryption or trunking.

First question, the only battery chargers I'm finding in the aftermarket are earlier OEM gang chargers and new Chinese chargers. Are any of the older gang chargers compatible with the XL-200? And which (if any) of the Chinese chargers is worth getting? This is utmost importance, because the seller and I discovered that he left it on and ran down the battery, but I didn't have time to wait for him to go put it on his charger.

Second, being used to the way that Ma Batwings has a smorgasbord of features in a radio, which may or may not be available or enabled, is there a way to find out how this radio is configured? In the Motoverse, some of this is found in the model number, the rest is in the programming software.

Third, speaking of software, is there a "non-trunk, non-encrypt" version of this that might be less expensive than the full-house version? And how do they handle the programming software, is it a subscription or a one-time buy that gets loaded and used until time to upgrade? Since my needs are so low-level, I don't think that I would ever need to upgrade anyhow.

Fourth, I saw a reference in a thread here to soldering a resistor on the accessory jack, thus enabling programming via WiFi -- can someone tell me more?

Fifth, ham still uses "wide" modulation (25kHz) -- can I program some of the frequencies for this?

Sixth, is there a way to get to the 900MHz ham bands (902 - 928) with this?

Seventh, the unit I have doesn't have the DTMF pad on it. What do I need to do to add this (if it's even possible)? I see front cases on fleabay that have the keypads, can I just put on one of those?

I guess this is enough for a starter. Hope you folks can help me find my way into this new universe.

lbd1123

Premium Subscriber
For the charger, I'd recommend a GTS charger. They have double, single, and gang chargers of good quality.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Look for “Features” in the radio menu. That will tell you what is in the radio. Harris used two-digit numbers in their older radios and plain-text in the newer models, like yours.

Harris has a feature called Wideband Disabled, which does as advertised- except ham VHF and marine frequency ranges. You can pay to have it removed for wideband on UHF, but I’ve heard it’s hard to acquire that feature from Harris.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Not trying to be critical, but for a list of questions like that would it not have been better to get some answers before buying?

1 - As mentioned, the GTS chargers are great
2 - Yes, you can view enabled features in the Utilities menu on the radio
3 - You will need the RPM2 software... I'm not up to speed on current pricing however
4 - Wifi programming is a software feature... I've never heard of someone soldering something to the radio to enable that, and highly recommend you don't try that with a $4000 radio
5 - Not sure on this one, I don't do the ham thing
6 - No
7 - You would need to purchase another housing and swap it, which I'm sure would also void your warranty

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If the "wideband disable" option is in the feature string, you will NOT be able to program 5KHz wide deviation on the UHF ham band. VHF allows 5KHz on the amateur portion, but the brain trust at L3H blocks it on the UHF ham band unless you are someone special and your particular XL200 does not have this feature code. Good luck getting it, L3H is tight as a nun's convent and doesn't care about your ham/SAR stuff. They are sticklers unlike MSI who's APX radios natively allow wideband programming on VHF and UHF ham bands, as well as GMRS, even if a given APX has a "narrowband" option in the flashcode.

nikronzo

If the "wideband disable" option is in the feature string, you will NOT be able to program 5KHz wide deviation on the UHF ham band.
The XL line switched up the wideband feature conundrum, there's no longer 'wideband disable" feature but its now called Wideband Enable
IMG_8561.jpg

But as you mentioned, it will be near impossible to get the feature, you have to prove to L3H that you are the radio owner and that you personally or your business/agency owns a FCC license for a wideband system.

nikronzo

Seventh, the unit I have doesn't have the DTMF pad on it. What do I need to do to add this (if it's even possible)? I see front cases on fleabay that have the keypads, can I just put on one of those?
Yes, there is no "depoting" the radio for a system keypad to work after replacing the scan keypad, replacement is actually a 10 minute job, about 8 screws and 2 flex connectors and you are up and running, the radio will automatically recognize the full keypad

CaptainEqs

Okay, thanks everyone for the guidance.

Yes, it would have been better to get all of these answers ahead of time, but had a time conflict -- picked it up on a business trip, swapping some equipment for it while I had the chance. I did send Harris the S/N beforehand, and they didn't have any conflict reports on it.

I'm figuring that the reference to soldering a resistor was actually using a Hirose adapter, but I lost track of the post so dunno.

It will wideband on 2m but not 70cm (without special approval)? What is this, some kind of firmware update, or code in the RPM2? If I can't use it on the ham 70cm band, that limits its usefulness to me.

Good news about the keypad. Dunno if I actually need that or not. I have several Astro Sabers, a couple with keypads, and I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I needed DTMF. It might be useful if I put up a P25 repeater, but that's only a thought.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It will wideband on 2m but not 70cm (without special approval)? What is this, some kind of firmware update, or code in the RPM2? If I can't use it on the ham 70cm band, that limits its usefulness to me.

For wide band, you need a new feature code.
Find a dealer that will work with you.
Using RPM2, you pull the feature code out of the radio and send that to them.
They'll send you a new feature code back that will have that feature turned on.

Be prepared to provide documentation on why you need it and a copy of your license.
I did it for ours at work since we still have some legal licenses that use wide band. I had to send copies of those licenses to the dealer, plus fill out a form.

I've heard that some dealers are not "ham friendly" and may not want to work with you on this. You may have to search around for one that will.

Good news about the keypad. Dunno if I actually need that or not. I have several Astro Sabers, a couple with keypads, and I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I needed DTMF. It might be useful if I put up a P25 repeater, but that's only a thought.

Front panel programming can be useful, and it's easier with the keypad.

CaptainEqs

Is a feature code specific to the radio? Is it a permanent code, or does it have to be renewed after upgrades or programming?

Any idea where I might find a ham-friendly dealer somewhere near Reno, NV?

I'll have to rethink the keypad, then.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Is a feature code specific to the radio? Is it a permanent code, or does it have to be renewed after upgrades or programming?

Any idea where I might find a ham-friendly dealer somewhere near Reno, NV?

I'll have to rethink the keypad, then.

It's specific to the radio. It's an encrypted string based on the feature codes and the radio serial number. Once it's in the radio it doesn't have to be renewed, but you must get it through an actual Harris dealer who will get it through Harris so that a record that you purchased the upgrade remains in the system. Very important in the rare instance that your radio suffers a fatal fault and needs to be rewritten.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Who told you that you have to connect a resistor to the accessory port to enable wifi programming? That's nonsense.

I use wifi to reprogram my XL185, usually. I just have to properly configure it which admittedly did take a few tries. My Apple Airport Express is fully compatible with the radio's wifi capability, which wasn't documented but was welcome news.

I don't know for sure but RPM2 MAY be available in a conventional only rendition, just as RPM was. Which is a lot cheaper than the trunking version. But the trunked version, well, it's out there....even in an unlocked flavor. Seek and ye shall find! Truly, nobody, not even Harris, is going to care if you've got a copy to support your own radio and no other, and provided that you're not messing with trunking systems.

Don't bother with the full keypad if you don't have a NEED for it. That packs a lot of buttons into a fairly small bit of real estate and it makes for crowded buttons that are easy to fat finger. (Multiple buttons pressed when you wanted to only press one.)

Astro Sabers are great radios but you'll like the XL platform. It's definitely a more advanced platform, though I find it to be rather quirky and I'm not entirely satisfied with the speed at which its radio operating system responds to keypad and control inputs. Overall, I use my XL every day and I'm happy to have it. But for VHF I still use my Astro Saber even in preference to my XTS5000. In my opinion, if you don't need a 2020s "feature rich" radio, I still think the Astro Saber is the best portable radio ever made. If its capabilities are sufficient for your application.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Older radios did measure the resistance across two conductors to set the ‘mode’ of the UDC… That’s not the case here. The 200P has two USBC interfaces on it. It’s much smarter than older UDCs.

-B

CaptainEqs

I don't know for sure but RPM2 MAY be available in a conventional only rendition, just as RPM was. Which is a lot cheaper than the trunking version. But the trunked version, well, it's out there....even in an unlocked flavor. Seek and ye shall find! Truly, nobody, not even Harris, is going to care if you've got a copy to support your own radio and no other, and provided that you're not messing with trunking systems.
I actually haven't been able to find much in the way of RPM2 information.

One question I have is whether it has an expiration date, or if I do find a copy, will it work forever? Seriously, all I want to be able to do is program the radio for simple use, and get wideband on 70cm for ham use. No trunking, no encryption, just simple stuff.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I actually haven't been able to find much in the way of RPM2 information.

One question I have is whether it has an expiration date, or if I do find a copy, will it work forever?

We own our software, it does not have an expiration date.

You might "find" the software, but you need an activation key from Harris.

Seriously, all I want to be able to do is program the radio for simple use, and get wideband on 70cm for ham use. No trunking, no encryption, just simple stuff.

You'll need the wide band option on the radio. Harris won't hand it out without paperwork. You'll have to prove your authorization to use wideband, as in a license showing it. Yes, I know, a ham license will cover that, but not all dealers are ham friendly and may not be willing to help. I had to provide copies of our Part 90 and Part 80 license that showed appropriate emission designators.

None of that is impossible, just takes money and effort. Once you have that sorted out, they are nice radios. But, you'll be absolutely playing in the big boy sandbox and they do not cater to hobbyists, so be ready for some challenges.

CaptainEqs

We own our software, it does not have an expiration date.

You might "find" the software, but you need an activation key from Harris.

You'll need the wide band option on the radio. Harris won't hand it out without paperwork. You'll have to prove your authorization to use wideband, as in a license showing it. Yes, I know, a ham license will cover that, but not all dealers are ham friendly and may not be willing to help. I had to provide copies of our Part 90 and Part 80 license that showed appropriate emission designators.

None of that is impossible, just takes money and effort. Once you have that sorted out, they are nice radios. But, you'll be absolutely playing in the big boy sandbox and they do not cater to hobbyists, so be ready for some challenges.
I'm used to dealing with Motorola, and outside of their employee radio club, they're not into hobbyists either. The last time I dealt with Harris, it was for a broadcast station transmitter, and that was about 25 years ago.

Nice to know that I only need to buy RPM2 one time -- do I go to a dealer for this, or directly to Harris? If a dealer, do you think I can find an earlier RPM2 version at a reduced price? Or is it all current download?

Does RPM2 also work for older Harris radios? I know that RPM older version doesn't work for the XL-200, but it would take some of the bite out of buying the current version if it will also handle any older stuff that I might get.

Can you point me to a ham-friendly dealer, preferably in the western US (I'm in Nevada)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm used to dealing with Motorola, and outside of their employee radio club, they're not into hobbyists either. The last time I dealt with Harris, it was for a broadcast station transmitter, and that was about 25 years ago.

Nice to know that I only need to buy RPM2 one time -- do I go to a dealer for this, or directly to Harris? If a dealer, do you think I can find an earlier RPM2 version at a reduced price? Or is it all current download?

You'll need to work with a dealer.
Not sure you'll get an earlier download at a discount. You get what they have in stock and upgrades from there.

Does RPM2 also work for older Harris radios? I know that RPM older version doesn't work for the XL-200, but it would take some of the bite out of buying the current version if it will also handle any older stuff that I might get.

I received RPM and RPM2, so I can go a ways back.

Can you point me to a ham-friendly dealer, preferably in the western US (I'm in Nevada)?

I don't know who's ham friendly and who isn't. I wasn't buying for my personal use. Try Racom.