• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTL5000 firmware upgrade

merlin

Took a little work but have this UHF high power radio with W3 HHCU. More or less works OK.
The firmware is version R07.02.00 and really need to upgrade this.
I have upgrades from v14 to v20. CPS gripes about a security key (dongle) irregardless version. Depot just won't connect to the radio.
I have done this a few times before with different bricks and portables with zero problems at all.
Eventually, I want to change to an 05 head, but the firmware doesnt support it.
Some info that will help:

model M20QTS9PW1AN
S/N 585CGM4431
Firmware: R07.02.00
Tuning: R01.00.09
Bootloader: R02.00.00
DSP: R07.01.01
UCM: R05.05.01 NTN5032F
Feature set:
G48 conventional system operation
G806 ASTRO digital operation
G114 enhanced digital ID display
G298 OTAR with Multi key

I could really use some help from anyone able to help.
TYIA

a417

Took a little work but have this UHF high power radio with W3 HHCU. More or less works OK.
The firmware is version R07.02.00 and really need to upgrade this.
<snip>
G298 OTAR with Multi key

I could really use some help from anyone able to help.
TYIA
How are you connecting to the brick?

merlin

The only way possible with this model radio, via GCAI on the front of the brick.
There is no J2 and no front mount configuration.
The W3 head works but won't program up for some operations.
I also have a complete 05 and control group I would like to switch to, but this older firmware won't do
O seies controllers.

wgbecks

The only way possible with this model radio, via GCAI on the front of the brick.
That's not exactly correct.

There are two GCAI program cables; HKN6183 High Power CGAI to RS232, and the HKN6184 High Power GCAI to USB.
Additionally, there is the HKN6122 4-Wire RS-232 data cable that attaches to J6 of the TIB.

I don't recall if USB support exists at Firmware level R07 so you may have to rely on either of the two RS-232 program cable
options.

What cable have you been using to program the radio with CPS?

a417

Which TIB do you have, @merlin ? I didn't think that the correct TIB for a W3 head had a GCAI.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
USB isnt going to update that radio. You will need to find a serial to GCAI cable to update the brick from its TIB. You also may need to stairstep the firmware. Going from 7 to 20 is a huge jump.

merlin

That's not exactly correct.

There are two GCAI program cables; HKN6183 High Power CGAI to RS232, and the HKN6184 High Power GCAI to USB.
Additionally, there is the HKN6122 4-Wire RS-232 data cable that attaches to J6 of the TIB.

I don't recall if USB support exists at Firmware level R07 so you may have to rely on either of the two RS-232 program cable
options.

What cable have you been using to program the radio with CPS?
Yes, there are 4 possible programming cables, the one I am using is the USB/GCAI. The radio must support it because I have no issues programming with CPS. One point though is the radio doesn't follow all of the radio wide and head settings.
It can't bring up things like features and the W3 only has 4 menu functions irregardless button programming.

a417

Yes, there are 4 possible programming cables, the one I am using is the USB/GCAI. The radio must support it because I have no issues programming with CPS. One point though is the radio doesn't follow all of the radio wide and head settings.
It can't bring up things like features and the W3 only has 4 menu functions irregardless button prog

Which TIB? A W3 on the wrong TIB will have about 60% correct functionality (IMHO - from goofind around several months ago) , and will have several keys that won't work and some that are mis-mapped.

wgbecks

Which TIB? A W3 on the wrong TIB will have about 60% correct functionality (IMHO - from goofind around several months ago) , and will have several keys that won't work and some that are mis-mapped.

What a417 said. See Post #5 & Post #6 and answer the questions.

merlin

USB isnt going to update that radio. You will need to find a serial to GCAI cable to update the brick from its TIB. You also may need to stairstep the firmware. Going from 7 to 20 is a huge jump.
The only difference that would make is the PC port settings.
Yea, I figured I would have to upgrade in steps. I don't have anything under v14 though, that, v15, and v20 all fail the same way.
CPS nags for that dongle even though there is no dongle S/N from the original factory programming.
How about a photo as well and tell us what cable you've been using.
Here is the best I can do with a failed bench light and poor camera:
What you see is the W3 in the "handheld control unit socket. The GCAI to USB programming cable, then my quick ignition / speaker plug in the accessory socket.

Attachments

• IMG_20231023_202510[1].jpg
    IMG_20231023_202510[1].jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 39

merlin

Been my observation that a W3 on the wrong TIB won't work at all.

wgbecks

HLN6901D Y0832017 From the BSM:

The HLN6901 is the correct HHCH Interface Board for High Power radios. However, you "really" haven't answered the question and
can't assume that you have the correct TIB based upon the BSM.

Remove the screws and carefully expose the interface board while being careful not to damage the flex. Read the model number
stenciled on the board to be sure. If you do have the correct TIB, then it, or the HHCH, may have electrical issues causing the problems
with your button functions.

merlin

I have a complete remote control group with an 05 head from another UHF high power I would like to install.
Sadly, it looks like v R07.02.00 does not support any '0' series controllers.
With that installed, the best I get is that FL 01/90 error.

merlin

The HLN6901 is the correct HHCH Interface Board for High Power radios. However, you "really" haven't answered the question and
can't assume that you have the correct TIB based upon the BSM.

Remove the screws and carefully expose the interface board while being careful not to damage the flex. Read the model number
stenciled on the board to be sure. If you do have the correct TIB, then it, or the HHCH, may have electrical issues causing the problems
with your button functions.
Been there, done that and confirmed everything is correct.
I have the W3 user guide that covers details including programming buttons and functions.
CPS goes through all the motions through writing to the radio. However, nothing changes at the head.

Power button is disabled, power on is the IGN sense.
Top center emergency button does nothing but 'boop'
Top right toggles monitor, long press sets the squelch. (home to exit)
Top right toggles backlight.
Center right is disabled 'boops'
Bottom right toggles low/high power.
Left/right buttons change display menus, (4) [zone][chan][scan][pwr] dot buttons do the functions.
Vol up/down works. Mode ramps through the channels.

"YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT" even remapping programmable buttons and adding menu items with CPS.
Even though the book says otherwise.
Now I can live with that because the radio does work. It would be a lot nicer if I can get the 05 head to work.

I have 4 other XTL5000s that were no problem at all updating firmware and programming as well as an XTS5000 I NAS scan the local
PS sites. Only these high power UHF have been problematic.

Now if anyone knows how I might 'force' v14 into this brick, I am all ears.
TNX

a417

HLN6901D Y0832017 From the BS

HLN6901D != HLN6885B.

There could be an issue with the antique firmware not liking that TIB you have. The DSM does list HLN6901(x) as an option, but it may have been a late in life change on the unit, so it would need later firmware to support it.

Just my opinion, what you have clearly isn't working for programming. Have you tried depot to the J2 via serial yet?

Last edited:

wgbecks

Have you tried depot to the J2 via serial yet?
The OP’s radio is a “High Power” model and does not have the normal J2 accessory connector.

@merlin, you might try adding a few additional wires to the DB25 that you've attached to the J6 connector on the TIB to provide
Serial RS-232 communications equivalent to that of the HKN6122 Data Cable per the wiring shown below.
HKN6122.png

a417

The OP’s radio is a “High Power” model and does not have the normal J2 accessory connector.

@merlin, you might try adding a few additional wires to the DB25 that you've attached to the J6 connector on the TIB to provide
Serial RS-232 communications equivalent to that of the HKN6122 Data Cable per the wiring shown below.
Good info, I've never had my hands on a high power deck - didn't know that. Thanks! Good to know that the always-reliable RS232 connection is still there, albeit at different connection points and pin #s.