• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS questions

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
a question I'm working on a few radio's xts 3000. 2500. 5000.
on the VHF 2500 as I'm entering the freq's numbers for the repeater like 145.290..rx and transmit 144.690. it keeps changing the rec to 150.690.
can't figure out what is going on, I don't see any place that I can change it...any help. in the zone channel assignment. this also has FPP.
The next question on a UHF 2500 with FPP, it is a military radio with encryption, I don't see well with a lot of light which this one didn't
have, so I looked around the internet for a solution and found to change a few resistors I could get the display to light up like normal. well, I tried and lost. so if I can find someone who would try it I'd buy a regular dial pad and try that, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be populated with so does anyone think it would work? The back almost seems blank, but does have a few components on it.
thanks to all the old man here. By the way, the UHF 5000 is working well.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Is the radio a Q Band Range radio or a K Band Range radio? What is the 4th character in model number?

There are sellers on eBay selling both used and new Display modules. I just had one replaced in one of my XTS1500 for $70 in labor a couple months ago. I don't remember what I paid for the display module. It wasn't too much.

prcguy

a question I'm working on a few radio's xts 3000. 2500. 5000.
on the VHF 2500 as I'm entering the freq's numbers for the repeater like 145.290..rx and transmit 144.690. it keeps changing the rec to 150.690.
can't figure out what is going on, I don't see any place that I can change it...any help. in the zone channel assignment. this also has FPP.
The next question on a UHF 2500 with FPP, it is a military radio with encryption, I don't see well with a lot of light which this one didn't
have, so I looked around the internet for a solution and found to change a few resistors I could get the display to light up like normal. well, I tried and lost. so if I can find someone who would try it I'd buy a regular dial pad and try that, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be populated with so does anyone think it would work? The back almost seems blank, but does have a few components on it.
thanks to all the old man here. By the way, the UHF 5000 is working well.
The XTS2500/PRC-153 has very dim backlighting for use with night vision equipment. The keypad also houses the encryption, so if you swap it for a regular 2500 keypad you lose AES encryption. Its best to change the resistors if you have the means.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider

i'm pretty certain its doing that because of channel spacing, but let me go grab mine and try it.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
that theory is out the window, no matter what i set the channel spacing to it accepts both your TX and RX frequencies.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
that theory is out the window, no matter what i set the channel spacing to it accepts both your TX and RX frequencies.
i tried entering 138,290 to see if it would go to 145.290 no luck keeps going to 150.2900. thanks again group.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
The XTS2500/PRC-153 has very dim backlighting for use with night vision equipment. The keypad also houses the encryption, so if you swap it for a regular 2500 keypad you lose AES encryption. Its best to change the resistors if you have the means.
thanks for the info. i don't have a microscope so need to find someone. i have the resistors but shake to much..lol

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
Is the radio a Q Band Range radio or a K Band Range radio? What is the 4th character in model number?

There are sellers on eBay selling both used and new Display modules. I just had one replaced in one of my XTS1500 for $70 in labor a couple months ago. I don't remember what I paid for the display module. It wasn't too much.
yes its a Q.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i thought 2500/5000 XTS VHF were all 136-174.
The 3000's were the ones split between J and K

were the early 2500's (4mb) split as well?
Edit, i checked documentation. All VHF 2500's, AN or BN are K range 136-174

It *may* be a firmware issue

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
i thought 2500/5000 XTS VHF were all 136-174.

were the early 2500's (4mb) split as well?
Edit, i checked documentation. All VHF 2500's, AN or BN are K range 136-174

It *may* be a firmware issue

XTS3000's only came in one VHF split, and that split is 136-174. I have programmed countless XTS's of all models and have not come across an issue like the OP is describing. I am thinking some VERY old firmware, very old software, or a mismatch between the two. What version of firmware and software are you using?

@k8ble if you want to send me your codeplug I will take a look at it. PM me.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i recall a post that had a similar issue, and it turned out to be a old firmware problem.

i think that post was about 5k's, where someone had two of them and one wasnt programming to the same frequency as the other

k8ble

Premium Subscriber

who did it for you..i saw some on eBay and used on to program my 900 ht's a good job and just what i needed, but now I can't find the guy i trust. I found a shop in FLA I sent an to him asking if he could do the resistor swap, but when they read the instructions I sent to them they returned
my money asap and returned my radio, because it wouldn't self-test...
well if anyone knows of a good repair place or person please let me know...thanks

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
XTS3000's only came in one VHF split, and that split is 136-174. I have programmed countless XTS's of all models and have not come across an issue like the OP is describing. I am thinking some VERY old firmware, very old software, or a mismatch between the two. What version of firmware and software are you using?

rgr

k8ble

Premium Subscriber

how do i PM u?

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
trying to send plugg

Attachments

• Voice_File_Log.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 21

madrabbitt

Feed Provider

XTS3000's only came in one VHF split, and that split is 136-174.

I was talking to an old coworker about how i remembered that we had bought some VHF radios in the wrong bandsplit, and i asked "i swear those were XTS3k's."

He looked at me like i was an idiot and reminded me that was 2001-2002 and we were using hand-me-down P200's and HT600's at the time.

So yeah, i both mis-remembered that, and probably shows how long i've been doing this.

merlin

i tried entering 138,290 to see if it would go to 145.290 no luck keeps going to 150.2900. thanks again group.
See if you have talkaround enabled, uncheck it if it is.
You will need to do that for each repeater channel.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Can't remember if XTS3000's had Frequency Picklists as an option but check the top level menus and make sure that's disabled.