• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 and XTS3000 as a two way walkie talkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

david082

Thanks again for all of the replies.

So based off much of the advice I took the radios to a programmer. They said both radios are set up as UHF and that using GMRS freqs would fit my needs. But the programmer said the XTS5000 is trunking only and is useless for my purposes.

So it sounds like my only real option is to sell them.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
But the programmer said the XTS5000 is trunking only and is useless for my purposes.

Your programmer needs to get a new job. An XTS5000 that has trunking in it will also do conventional. There's no such thing as a trunking only XTS5000.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Mike is correct. Conventional operation is the most basic function of the radio. If you order the cheapest possible XTS from Moto and don't want to pay a penny for any options, you will get a conventional radio.

And conventional operation can't be deleted from the features of the radio.

Your programmer lacks competence and knowledge.

hitechRadio

So based off much of the advice I took the radios to a programmer. They said both radios are set up as UHF and that using GMRS freqs would fit my needs. But the programmer said the XTS5000 is trunking only and is useless for my purposes.

I honestly feal bad for you David,
You come here trying to get some help, and get all kinds of miss information and confusion.

Here are the FACTS,
UHF will work perfect for you, better than VHF for a city enviroment on Talkaround (Direct). And the radio's you have are VERY capable of being programmed for conventional operation.

What City do you live in? We can help get you to a good Motorola dealer.

You will have to apply for a business license, it is not expensive at all.
DO NOT let them give you GMRS, Get you own license. You will be a very happy camper.

I highly recommend you have them do a quick Check on the radio's for correct operation. May cost a little extra, but you will have piece of mind they are in working order,Up to you though.

Good luck!

Last edited:

svfd17

I don't see any point in selling perfectly good radios, especially since you will eventually be able to get them up and running for your intended purpose, I say hold on to them and somewhere down the road you will possibly have use for them. I've purchased radios that have sat around for a good while before I was able to get them programmed, just my 2 cents.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

svfd17

I honestly feal bad for you David,
You come here trying to get some help, and get all kinds of miss information and confusion.

Here are the FACTS,
UHF will work perfect for you, better than VHF for a city enviroment on Talkaround (Direct). And the radio's you have are VERY capable of being programmed for conventional operation.

What City do you live in? We can help get you to a good Motorola dealer.

You will have to apply for a business license, it is not expensive at all.
DO NOT let them give you GMRS, Get you own license. You will be a very happy camper.

I highly recommend you have them do a quick Check on the radio's for correct operation. May cost a little extra, but you will have piece of mind they are in working order,Up to you though.

Good luck!

Very sound advice.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

hitechRadio

Out of Curiosity David, after he told you that the 5000 was trunking only? Did he then offer to buy them from you?

Lets assume he did read the radio and he has never programed a motorola XTS5000. First off if he has the CPS once he read it it would say right in the programing tree view +CONVENTIONAL.

And just so you believe me that the guy has no clue, let me put it this way. If a public saftey trunking system went completly off the air, is it logical to think that the officers,FF, EMS Etc. would have no communications at all. No it's not, they simply change to designated direct or backup conventional repeaters. Not only that but all public saftey radio's will or should have conventional national interop Call/Tac frequencies programmed in them.

I would not deal with that shop period! I would not want him programing or servicing my radio's.

Give us the City you live in and someone on here will help you out if I can't.

It just really gets under my skin, there was a local shop that used to do the same thing to unkowoing customers, and take advantage of the situation.
Maybe the person you took it too really thinks that it is trunking only, maybe he only read the feature set, which maybe could led them to believe it is trunking only, but I dought that it is the case, I think he is/was trying to screw you over.

After everything that has been said on here lets just keep it simple.

1. We can help you find a reputable service shop.
2. The shop will help you file for a business license.
3. The shop will Program them up and service them if needed.

End result, good reliable communications! For your saftey and others!

Last edited:

szron

Premium Subscriber
Im surprised noone said that yet.

If you are a bail enforcer then I assume you work in a rather large area. Buying a freq will be expensive and pain in a butt.

Find a local TRBO Trunking system where you can lease channels. Ask for encryption. Pay a subscriber fee.
Enjoy good coverage and secure comms without the hassle of getting own license.

david082

Out of Curiosity David, after he told you that the 5000 was trunking only? Did he then offer to buy them from you?

Lets assume he did read the radio and he has never programed a motorola XTS5000. First off if he has the CPS once he read it it would say right in the programing tree view +CONVENTIONAL.

And just so you believe me that the guy has no clue, let me put it this way. If a public saftey trunking system went completly off the air, is it logical to think that the officers,FF, EMS Etc. would have no communications at all. No it's not, they simply change to designated direct or backup conventional repeaters. Not only that but all public saftey radio's will or should have conventional national interop Call/Tac frequencies programmed in them.

I would not deal with that shop period! I would not want him programing or servicing my radio's.

Give us the City you live in and someone on here will help you out if I can't.

It just really gets under my skin, there was a local shop that used to do the same thing to unkowoing customers, and take advantage of the situation.
Maybe the person you took it too really thinks that it is trunking only, maybe he only read the feature set, which maybe could led them to believe it is trunking only, but I dought that it is the case, I think he is/was trying to screw you over.

After everything that has been said on here lets just keep it simple.

1. We can help you find a reputable service shop.
2. The shop will help you file for a business license.
3. The shop will Program them up and service them if needed.

End result, good reliable communications! For your saftey and others!

As a matter of fact he did offer to buy them from me.

hitechRadio

If you are a bail enforcer then I assume you work in a rather large area. Buying a freq will be expensive and pain in a butt.

Find a local TRBO Trunking system where you can lease channels. Ask for encryption. Pay a subscriber fee.

That is a very good option, depending on the monthly cost and number of radios...good call!

Wide area coverage too and possibly GPS!

rapidcharger

That is a very good option, depending on the monthly cost and number of radios...good call!

Wide area coverage too and possibly GPS!

An itinerant frequency license good for an entire city, entire state or entire country is cheaper than a GMRS license over the course of 10 years.
Who said anything about needing anything other than simplex? Who is up-selling now?

szron

Premium Subscriber
An itinerant frequency license good for an entire city, entire state or entire country is cheaper than a GMRS license over the course of 10 years.
Who said anything about needing anything other than simplex? Who is up-selling now?

Oh! I didn't know that. I always thought you first gotta fork over dough to the frequency coordinator for studies and crap like that, then to FCC...

If you can get a itinerant frequency for his area of operation then hell yeah do it.

I'd still advocate TRBO or other DMR brands.

Cheaper and virtually same features as whacker-tastic P25.

prcguy

What's a "Key Volume Loader"? Something that programs the speaker volume in encryption mode?
prcguy

Okay this is what you do get on Ding Dong Bay and there are some good people on that site that sell good radios and get two XTS 5000 radio on the VHF side with a DES-OFB ENC boards in each radio and get yourself a nice used Key Volume Loader machine and off to the races you go.

Having two VHF radios will give you some good distance because these radios will transmit longer distances because of the higher wattage on the Tx side.

Get those radios with a good DES-OFB algorhytm programmed into the boards and nobody will ever be-able to listen to you at all. You will be gangster bail bond men's style. You can be like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

The criminals will never be-able to listen to you nor ever hear you. But these people are kind of not smart anyways. You might just be-able to get away with digital Tx and get what you need.

rapidcharger

Oh! I didn't know that. I always thought you first gotta fork over dough to the frequency coordinator for studies and crap like that, then to FCC...)))

Not for itinerants. License fee only, no coordination. Not that coordination for a simplex freq or two for 5 watt portables is all that expensive. Especially in UHF. Its not. And it's not hard to do either. It's a phone call.

(((
I'd still advocate TRBO or other DMR brands.

Cheaper and virtually same features as whacker-tastic P25.

That's why I mentioned in my first reply that he might want to sell them and use the money to buy a couple of new dmr radios but subscribing to a trunking system is probably way overkill and probably won't give the most reliable in-building coverage that the OP most likely needs to conduct their activities.

hitechRadio

Not for itinerants. License fee only, no coordination. Not that coordination for a simplex freq or two for 5 watt portables is all that expensive. Especially in UHF. Its not. And it's not hard to do either. It's a phone call.

That's why I mentioned in my first reply that he might want to sell them and use the money to buy a couple of new dmr radios but subscribing to a trunking system is probably way overkill and probably won't give the most reliable in-building coverage that the OP most likely needs to conduct their activities.

He could still get on a sytem for wide area, and also have itinerant freq for direct programed. Some Shops may offer a Talkaround for there customers, the shop I used to work for did.

If the OP does not need wide area coverage best to stay with what he has got and get a UHF iten freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.