Yaesu: Yaesu FT-70DR programming Was: System Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
I have a Yaesu FT-70DR. How should I program a repeater that operates both on analog and on system fusion? Should I program two channels, one as FM and the other as digital? Thanks.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Fusion

I have a Yaesu FT-70DR. How should I program a repeater that operates both on analog and on system fusion? Should I program two channels, one as FM and the other as digital? Thanks.

You don't have too. You can change the mode with the radio buttons. But if you prefer you can program two channels. That would avoid what sometimes happens to me transmitting digital to someone on analog.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks very much. I will go with the two channel approach. One FM and one fusion.

That might work on the 70, but a 400 it will not. One has to use the Automatic Mode Select (AMS) function as there is no place in the channel to select/store digital mode operation.

My experience is the user interfaces/operation across Yaesu radios are similar.

Mike

P.S. If the 70 only does digital in one bank like the 400 then its possible to put the Fusion repeater in both banks. Forcing analog operation only because of which bank its in.

Last edited:

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how to setup a specified frequency scan from 145.0 MHz to 147.6 MHz? And is there a way to have this run on a continuous loop so I can monitor this range while traveling?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Look for the description of Programmable Memory Scan in the manual (p. 29). You program your lower limit into L1 and your upper limit into U1, then set the VFO to a frequency between those limits, then inititate a VFO scan (p. 27). You have 50 limit pairs available L1/U1 through L50/U50.

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I was able to setup a L1 and U1 pair for 145.20 to 145.50. I am now going to try to see if I can string together with a second range from 146.61 to 147.39. This will allow me to scan the repeater outputs for 2 meter.

AK9R

Super Moderator
In many parts of the U.S., 2m repeater outputs can be found on 145.11 to 145.49 and 146.61 to 147.39. The problem with what you are proposing is that I don't believe two pairs of scan limits can be "strung together".

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If the Fusion repeater is in the Auto mode, it recognize an incoming signal as digital or analog. All Yaesu fusion radios can also be put into an auto mode. Thus, there is no need for programming two channels.

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
Further question- while scanning from say L1 to U1, will the HT be able to decode the CTCSS tone (up-link and down-link) for each channel (as a scanner would)?

AK9R

Super Moderator
No, it won't be able to scan for a CTCSS tone while it scanning frequencies. You'll have to stop on a frequency and then scan for the tone.

k6cpo

Page 16 in the manual: Using AMS (Automatic Mode Select) function.

What this means is that if the radio detects an incoming digital signal, it will automatically shift to digital and the same for analog. There is no need to program two separate channels for FM and digital.

Hagen001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for your help. I will use my Whistler TRX-1 to carry out a service search of the amateur bands. It can decode all input and scans 8x faster that the Yaesu HT. If the scanner finds something of interest, I can then enter this frequency into the Yaesu.

Status
Not open for further replies.