Yaesu: FT-2DR NFM WFM

KD7RJC

Hello again,

I picked up a used FT-2DR predominately for Fusion mode and GPS, but while working with it in APRS-8 I find that for operating mode my choices are AM and NFM, instead of simple FM. When I look for Narrow FM and Wide FM in the instruction booklet I can't find any references, despite Rigpix showing that these do both bandwidths of FM. And of course looking at instructions for narrow vs wide on newer Yaesu HTs there are some options that don't seem to exist on the FT-2DR.

Firmware:
MAIN Ver: 3.00
Sub Ver: 2.01
DSP ver: 4.30

I think it's as current as it can get but Yaesu's website isn't especially good for determining that.

If it only does NFM that's fine, I can live with that, but I was surprised that I couldn't find a ready way to select between the two.

radiotweester

The way I read it is you have AM, WFM (150kHz) broadcast
Narrow (12.5kHz) for digital (V/D Mode, Voice FR Mode, Data FR Mode) and regular 25kHz for 2/440 Ham NFM. Marine and WX are still using the 25kHz spacing, but business freqs are all suppose to be 12.5KHz

Here's the Yaseu page of docs. Hopefully they will help.
73s

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The radio has a setting for Transmit Modulation Level that changes the radio to "half deviation". In the Set Mode in the TX/RX section under MODE, you can turn HALF DEVIATION on or off. The default setting is OFF.

This is separate from the RX MODE which can be set to AUTO, NFM, or AM. I believe that the default is AUTO. Even when AM is selected, the radio will transmit in FM mode in the ham bands.