York County, SC Public Safety

Choppus

Premium Subscriber
Can listen to York County Public Safety on Broadcastify, but nothing coming through SDS100. I have Fire, EMS, and Law service types all on.
Not sure why nothing is coming through the scanner.

Any help would be appreciated.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are using Sentinel, go to the File tab and click on Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to zip the exported file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file. I'll take a look at your favorites list and check for any programming errors.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
For the most part, I don't see any problems with the programming of the trunked systems. Check your squelch setting. It should be 2. I would try the filters on the sites you are using. Wide invert often works well. I see that you have ID Search turned on for the York County and Palmetto 800 trunked systems. You should be receiving everything on the sites. In ID Scan, you will receive only the talkgroups programmed. For now, turn on all of the Service Types in the Profile Editor. Under Scan Selection, make sure that Download and Monitor are both turned on for the favorites list. Download sends the favorites list to the scanner. Monitor enables it to scan. You can check it in the scanner. Press MENU. Set Scan Selection will be showing. Press E. Scroll to Select Lists to Monitor. Press E. You should see the South Carolina favorites list in the display. If it is off, scroll to it and press E to turn it on. Press AVOID to exit the menus.

HandiScratchy

Can listen to York County Public Safety on Broadcastify, but nothing coming through SDS100. I have Fire, EMS, and Law service types all on.
Not sure why nothing is coming through the scanner.

Any help would be appreciated.
Roughly where do you live in the county?
I live very near to Carowinds and receive that system well with a bcd436hp. Driving from Rock Hill to York I notice a radio quiet area. I think that's due to the combination of antenna site location and my Comet CH32 antenna. Maybe you're having a similar issue. If all your settings are right try going to a different location and see if you get traffic.

Wnqk784

You may want to try and just program the frequencies on the system and see if it will work that way that's what I had to do with my SDS 100 for the Marion simulcast system so t could hear Marion county doing it the other way wouldn't work I never could figure out why

Choppus

Premium Subscriber
Roughly where do you live in the county?
I live very near to Carowinds and receive that system well with a bcd436hp. Driving from Rock Hill to York I notice a radio quiet area. I think that's due to the combination of antenna site location and my Comet CH32 antenna. Maybe you're having a similar issue. If all your settings are right try going to a different location and see if you get traffic.
I live on the South side of Rock hill. I used to not have a problem receiving the traffic at home. Just recently started having the issue. I'm going to look at all the settings tvenger suggested and go from there.

Choppus

Premium Subscriber
You may want to try and just program the frequencies on the system and see if it will work that way that's what I had to do with my SDS 100 for the Marion simulcast system so t could hear Marion county doing it the other way wouldn't work I never could figure out why
Thank you. I try that if I can't get it going with tvenger's suggestions.

HandiScratchy

Not saying this wouldn't be a good idea as a diagnostic process but I have two friends running SDS100s on that system no problems. They're both programming with Sentinel. One lives in Rock Hill city limits the other just east of Fort Mill. York County is a fairly large area so one users experience could be very different than another's just on geography.

Choppus

Premium Subscriber
For the most part, I don't see any problems with the programming of the trunked systems. Check your squelch setting. It should be 2. I would try the filters on the sites you are using. Wide invert often works well. I see that you have ID Search turned on for the York County and Palmetto 800 trunked systems. You should be receiving everything on the sites. In ID Scan, you will receive only the talkgroups programmed. For now, turn on all of the Service Types in the Profile Editor. Under Scan Selection, make sure that Download and Monitor are both turned on for the favorites list. Download sends the favorites list to the scanner. Monitor enables it to scan. You can check it in the scanner. Press MENU. Set Scan Selection will be showing. Press E. Scroll to Select Lists to Monitor. Press E. You should see the South Carolina favorites list in the display. If it is off, scroll to it and press E to turn it on. Press AVOID to exit the menus.
Other than having all the service types turned on, I had all of the other settings you suggested already on those settings. It used to work fine here at my house and traveling. Not sure what's going on. I may do a full reset and program it from scratch with Sentinel. Well I don't know if I want to do that. I can only find one of the two keys I purchased for it.

Wnqk784

The only other thing it could be and I don't know how long you have had it but the sd card could be going bad my step dad has a SDS 100 and his started acting like that on the Florence County simulcast system and it ended up being that

Choppus

Premium Subscriber
The only other thing it could be and I don't know how long you have had it but the sd card could be going bad my step dad has a SDS 100 and his started acting like that on the Florence County simulcast system and it ended up being that
I've had the SDS100 for a long time. This might be the issue. I'll get another SD card and see if that does the trick. Thank you.

Choppus

Premium Subscriber
Found a 32 GB card and formatted with Sentinel, loaded up the programing. Still not functioning correctly. Ordered an 8 GB card, will try that once it arrives.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hop in the car with that SDS100 and drive toward Rock Hill. See if it starts working. That will help you narrow down if you have a programming issue or a reception issue. Also try another antenna, if you have one.

Can you receive Palmetto 800?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Last week, Motorola pushed out what was termed an update/upgrade depending on the technician. As I was listening, most went well but Aiken County had a few hiccups that was resolved after a day or two.
I can't receive the whole state, but could that have affected your reception? To my aged ears, the reception I have does sound better and the only talk group I don't receive any more is Allendale county (I think it was Allendale) TG 21001.
Possibly someone here could let us know what was "updated/upgraded".
This was on my BCD996T.

Wnqk784

From what I heard when they were in the Berkeley and Charleston sites they said something about firmware upgrades and they also were working on the Marion simulcast sites and Florence today

Wnqk784

Whatever the updates were I hope they will address the low volume issue on the system