RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 3:47 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Good (well, relatively good) news is that our Division President is now promoted to Corporate President and is on the Board of Directors. Our head of Scanner Engineering is also now on the Board of Directors. They met with the vendor last week and "strongly impressed" them with our need for the issues to be resolved. We are taking this quite seriously and doing what we can do, but I am not at liberty to disclose every single thing we are doing (every day).
Thank you for the update, and congrats to your colleagues! Hopefully they will be able to light a fire under the vendor's butt and get the dongle issue resolved at long last. I'm hoping the kinks are all worked out and the app is ready in time for my planned purchase of a 536 to go with my 436 after the summer. I'll still buy one anyway, but it'd be nice to have all that stuff done and ready to go when I get mine.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2014, 5:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Good (well, relatively good) news is that our Division President is now promoted to Corporate President and is on the Board of Directors. Our head of Scanner Engineering is also now on the Board of Directors. They met with the vendor last week and "strongly impressed" them with our need for the issues to be resolved. We are taking this quite seriously and doing what we can do, but I am not at liberty to disclose every single thing we are doing (every day).
Thank You. Well Said. Hope things get resolved from a hardware stand point.
Old 07-03-2014, 6:06 PM

Personally, I believe UPMan and I think Uniden will eventually get this sorted out with the BCD536HP.

However, if I were buying right now, I would either hold out until the Siren App and/or new firmware is released to see if everything is going to work or I would buy an BCD436HP.

There is basically no difference between the two except that the 536 is suppose to eventually have WiFi.

If you don't need WiFi, why pay for it, just buy the 436, it's cheaper.

As far as handheld form factor vs. mobile/base form factor, what advantage does the mobile have over the handheld. The handheld can just as easily function on a desk.
Old 07-04-2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Thanks guys.

bama9999, I think you said you got your 536,in Huntsville, is that correct?
Yes, I bought mine from Gigaparts in Huntsville, back in March. I drove over there and picked it up in person, as opposed to ordering online or phone.

As far as issues with this scanner, the only "issues" I have encountered are that P25 phase 2 audio seems a bit too bassy, as compared to the phase 1 and analog. The other two things are that sometimes there is a little "click" at the end of a phase 2 transmission, and radio ID's on phase 2 only show the ID of the radio that initiated the transmission, whereas on phase 1 they switch back and forth each time someone transmits, regardless of which radio initiated the call. None of these things keep me from getting maximum use and enjoyment out of the radio, and if I'm not mistaken, all the "issues" that I mentioned are found in both the 536 and 436 radios, and no doubt all are addressable via a firmware update.
Old 07-04-2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
Yep, exactly. I feel the same about my 436. I would definitely take the word of someone who actually owns the radio over someone who refuses to own one because a couple of features are not ready yet. Seems silly to miss out on all the rest of what these radios do, but it's their choice to do that.

-AZ
I would be missing out on a LOT of radio traffic if I put off getting one. I'm listening to a number of agencies around my area that have recently started using MSWIN and are phase 2, which none of my other radios will receive.
Old 07-05-2014, 4:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default when too order the 536

For the OP:

For your original question....I would definitely hold off purchasing the 536HP. If you need the P25 Phase II, then I guess I would try the 436HP, just be sure to research the issues associate with it and the design; mainly make sure you have extra SD cards setup and readily available or it will be worthless. If you do not need the Phase II, I would save some money and go with something like the 996XT, which is a proven scanner and works great. It is easily programmed with software.

For the others:

I believe many are purchasing the 536HP based on advertising and are not researching it and/or the issues associated with the scanner and much more so believe Uniden has already fixed the issues associated with this model. If I had not already purchased this scanner and was looking at doing so, this is how I would look at it. I would see the negative issues, but knowing Uniden's reputation, believe they had probably already fixed the problems and go ahead and make the purchase because I wanted the "latest and greatest."

As a basic scanner, if you treat it nicely, it works okay. Connect it to a 12 volt battery or have it connected to a battery backup power supply, such as for computers, and you most likely won't have any issues. In an emergency operations center or public communications center or even a media center where they have backup power which comes on automatically, they most likely won't have any issues either. For some of us who live out in the world where we have storms, rely on the power company, and such and lose power for various reasons without notice, this creates issues with the scanner and makes it undependable as I recently found out...as a first responder and weather spotter. Fortunately, I had my 996XT to rely on.

In my opinion, avoid the 536HP and purchase the 996XT, which for my purposes has been a far better scanner for those of us who work out in the field.

Last edited by MikeOxlong; 07-05-2014 at 5:30 PM.. Reason: Removed offer to sell.
Old 07-12-2014, 2:38 PM

I still use my 996xt and decided not to upgrade. I will wait till the next model of scanners arrive to replace the 535. By then all the bugs will be fixed and hopefully p25 decoding will be done at the IF baseband level and not via the inferior discriminator tap.
Old 07-14-2014, 4:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The audio on p 25 phase 2 is a bit bassy, and there is a little click, at the end of a phase 2 transmissions.

Are these only minor issues?

If so, I may go ahead and order
Old 07-14-2014, 5:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well not sure what minor issues are depending on what kind of person you are. If you are really picking when spending 600 dollars on a radio and you pretty much want it perfect than I say NO.

The clicking is not a normal thing. If you do not need Phase II right now then I would wait to see what Uniden is going to do about the hardware issues from the past. I would wait unless you can't wait for a radio. I would buy the Uniden BCD996XT radio since it is bullet proof.
Sponsored links

Old 07-14-2014, 6:22 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Well not sure what minor issues are depending on what kind of person you are. If you are really picking when spending 600 dollars on a radio and you pretty much want it perfect than I say NO.
Considering that there is no such thing as a "perfect" radio if that is your qualifications then you are going be waiting until the end of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
I would buy the Uniden BCD996XT radio since it is bullet proof.
While the BCD996XT is a darn good radio it is not "bullet proof". And if someone has a phase 2 system in their area advising them to buy a radio that will not work on Phase 2 talkgroups is foolish.

Both the BCD436HP and BCD536HP are good radios and ones I use daily.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 07-14-2014, 6:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a 996t, a PSR 500, a HOMEPATROL and others. In this area' I need one that will pick up phase 2 MSWIN.
Old 07-15-2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
The audio on p 25 phase 2 is a bit bassy, and there is a little click, at the end of a phase 2 transmissions.

Those are the only two negatives that I've experienced, and really, those are nothing that will prohibit you from getting a lot of use and enjoyment out of the radio. Everyone has to decide for themselves, but I've been completely pleased with mine since I purchased it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy a second one if I had need for it.
Old 07-15-2014, 6:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Okay, I have read through this thread. Lots of back-and-forth, and it helps to have UPMan chime in to confirm various elements.

That being said, why would Uniden put a product out there with so many flaws? Was the 536 not vetted properly? Did Uniden know that many of the "promises" they pitched during the aggressive marketing phases of this scanner would not come to fruition once the 536 hit retail? If WiFi and the Firmware were two of the key pitch points to prospective buyers, how could Uniden "go live" with this product knowing these two elements weren't ready?

I want to buy the 536.
It seems slick as hell, and I need an update badly.
I currently own the BC796D, which is 11 years old, and while it still works fine, catching up with the times is paramount for me.

Uniden needs to get these problems fixed very soon, and to earn back customer confidence, they need to drop the price significantly on the 536.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:56 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

I initially had the same problem, but it has seem to have corrected itself. I have a feeling that it depends on the Phase 1 & 2 systems that your monitoring, and the coordinator in charge of the systems to fine tune those systems. It seems when it would sound brassy to me, complaints were coming from dispatchers or the mobil units that the transmission was unreadable. Now all transmissions are clear on Phase 1&2 and complaints have stopped.
My 536's are now working great!

Old 08-13-2014, 4:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I did it!!!!!! Ordered the 536, GPS,optimized, and easier to read manual.

$762.00.

Dang, but i had too have it.

The sales person was really "slow". Was on the phone with him, for about 15 mins.