R30 Problems with Icom CS-R30 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Greetings.

I'm the proud owner of an Icom R-30, and (I think) I'm having problems connecting the radio to Icom's CS-R30 software.

I've very carefully followed the installation instructions that came with the software, as well as the USB driver installation section of Icom's advanced manual (which doesn't really help much because the USB driver seems to be installed with the CS-R30 software and therefore doesn't require a separate download/installation).

Everything goes smoothly until I reach the step where I click OK after the initial setup window has identified the COM port (number six in my case). At that point, I receive a message indicating the "Connected receiver is not compatible model" and I'm asked if it's the "appropriate cloning software" (the software CD says it's "CS-R30 v1.01")and what's the "revision number of the receiver" (I have no idea at the moment where to look for that information). If I click the "Cancel" button, the software opens up, and it looks like I just might be able to start inputting information in it for eventual transfer to the R30.

I've verified the COM port number and connection in my computer's device manager menu, but I'm reluctant to charge ahead and try to write anything to the receiver for fear of whatever might happen if I bypass the error message above.

Has anyone else had this experience? Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Prayers?

Thanks!

-Johnnie

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
One more thing to add . . . a little while after closing the application, I received a message saying "Error has occurred in TOSHIBA eco Utility. It will exit the application." I'm assuming this message has something to do with my Icom software issue, but I'm not certain.

If it helps to know, I'm using an 11-year-old Toshiba laptop with a Windows 10 operating system (it came with Windows 7 originally). This combination has worked well with my other radio software packages (e.g. Uniden's Sentinel and Whistler's EZ Scan).

Thanks again.

-Johnnie

N4DJC

The CS-R30 software must be updated, this is not made clear in the instructions. I couldn’t get the R30 to connect to the software before updating. After updating connect the R30 to your computer via the cable and turn it on prior to opening the program. Then upgrade the firmware if it’s not the current version.

Link to the update here

Last edited:

N4DJC

Thanks, N4DJC! I'll give it a try!

Let us know if it works. I was very frustrated with mine until I read about the necessity to upgrade the CS-R30 in order to get the software and the R30 to communicate.

It is a fantastic handheld receiver. So many options to explore. I just wish I had bought one sooner.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again.

I'm getting ready to find the Icom site right now. Just to be certain, the firmware update you mention at the end of your message is about the firmware in the IC-R30. It should be updated in addition to the software update. Is that correct?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Update: I successfully updated the software from v1.01 to v1.10.

When I checked the radio version, I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the radio is already equipped with version 1.10! Yay!

The software now appears to be successfully connected to the receiver . . . so now all I have to do is figure out how to use it to program the R30. The Icom software doesn't seem to be as intuitively understandable to me as is the Uniden Sentinel, Whistler EZ Scan, or even the Unication PPS.

Thanks to N4DJC and Hit Factor for your help . . . I'm pretty sure I couldn't have figured this out entirely on my own!

-Johnnie

Hit_Factor

You will get the hang of it quick enough.

It doesn't do trunking, so just enter the voice channel freqs for digital systems. Leave control freqs out.

If you have a SD card in it, all digital RX are logged. This gives you details such as NAC, RAN.

N4DJC

Update: I successfully updated the software from v1.01 to v1.10.

When I checked the radio version, I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the radio is already equipped with version 1.10! Yay!

The software now appears to be successfully connected to the receiver . . . so now all I have to do is figure out how to use it to program the R30. The Icom software doesn't seem to be as intuitively understandable to me as is the Uniden Sentinel, Whistler EZ Scan, or even the Unication PPS.

Thanks to N4DJC and Hit Factor for your help . . . I'm pretty sure I couldn't have figured this out entirely on my own!

-Johnnie

I found it easier to navigate. Of course it doesn’t have the database integration of Sentinel or others. I use mine for shortwave, airbands, railroads, and searching local P25 and NXDN frequencies. The RX history and the dual VFO scan features are very handy.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I’m presuming this software doesn’t let you control your R30 from a computer, correct? Is there any software that does? Didn’t mean to hijack this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.