• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-5320 Radio Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

deputy540

Hello, new here, do have a question about a specific radio...

I recently purchased a Kenwood TK-5320 K6 UHF P25 radio. The frequency range is 380 to 400 mhz.
My question, can I tweak, adjust anything about this radio to make a higher frequency range?? or Lower? I have the programming software aswell. I have searched for an answer to this to no avail. I jumped the gun when I bought it not paying attention to the frequency range and am regretting it now. I would like to make the thing VHF if possible or atleast go higher in frequency (400-500 mhz). Anything at all I can do to accomplish this? A hack? Something inside that can be replaced? I have no use for 380 to 400.

I bought radio second-hand.

Thank You for any answers and reading.

sfd119

Usually you can go +/- a few mhz but you will not be able to go VHF or upper UHF without hardware modifications. Your best course of action is selling the radio and getting one that will work for you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The TK-5320K6 does, in fact, only cover 380-400MHz. Kenwood advertises at "US Federal Government & Export Sales Only".

So, short answer, no, you are not going to be able to stretch it much out of this range.

Modifying it takes a huge amount of work, and it will violate it's type acceptance (if it even has one, being its designed for US Federal government, which falls under the NTIA, not the FCC), that alone would make it illegal to use anywhere but the amateur radio bands.

deputy540

The TK-5320K6 does, in fact, only cover 380-400MHz. Kenwood advertises at "US Federal Government & Export Sales Only".

So, short answer, no, you are not going to be able to stretch it much out of this range.

Modifying it takes a huge amount of work, and it will violate it's type acceptance (if it even has one, being its designed for US Federal government, which falls under the NTIA, not the FCC), that alone would make it illegal to use anywhere but the amateur radio bands.

Thanks. I figured that would be the answer. Do you all know of ANY frequcies I can listen to on it at least? Something entertaining, UHF weather? I know that spectrum is not used a lot.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks. I figured that would be the answer. Do you all know of ANY frequcies I can listen to on it at least? Something entertaining, UHF weather? I know that spectrum is not used a lot.

The only stuff down in the 380-400 range is going to be federal type stuff. P25, likely encrypted/trunked. You won't be able to decrypt it.

NOAA sometimes does some linking to transmitters around 406-408, but picking it up really depends on where you are. Not all NOAA transmitters use that sort of connection. The ones that do use directional antennas at fairly low power, so to hear the link, you need to be pretty close to the path.
If you can stretch the radio that far outside the band.

I think you'd be better off selling it, or just calling it lesson learned, and getting the right radio. You are not the first one to fall into this, and won't be the last.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.