• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CP200 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rred

I was recently given a CP200 which seems to be in good shape overall
It is a UHF 4 watt model, 4 channel.

But the battery appears stone cold dead and there's no charger. Can anyone tell me, of the three power contacts, which is pos and neg, so I can try to manually give it a charge and see if the radio works?

And whether it pays to ebay the radio, or if there's a better home for it? I don't really need another 4-channel UHF and more "stuff" for it, but I'm willing to be someone just left it turned on when they put it away, terminally insulted the battery, and decided it was just time for a newer sexier radio.

Red

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Does it use the same charger as the CP185? I may have a charger from my old 185 that's long gone. If I have it your welcome to it. PM me later I'll let you know what I can find. It was actually about to hit the garbage bin when I clean out my closet this week.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

K2NEC

Does it use the same charger as the CP185? I may have a charger from my old 185 that's long gone. If I have it your welcome to it. PM me later I'll let you know what I can find. It was actually about to hit the garbage bin when I clean out my closet this week.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
NO The CP185 charger has 4 contacts while the cp200 only has 3. If you are trying to "jump" the battery the right contact when looking at the back of the battery closest to the PTT is the common and the middle contact is negative according to my multimeter. IMO just buy a charger you can find them cheaper than $30.

Rred

"closest to the PTT is the common and the middle contact is negative according to my multimeter."
By "common" do you mean positive? I need positive and negative to see if it will take a charge.

"IMO just buy a charger "
Yes thanks, I know there are cheap chargers, but if the battery is dead, I'll let the next owner figure out exactly what battery (cheap or heavy duty or lithium) and what charger (Moto rapid charge or no-name electrical hazard) they want to buy.
No need to throw money at a pet rock until it proves it isn't one.

When I was a kid every town had a "Fix-It Shop". We don't throw it out, or throw money at it, until we know why.

K2NEC

"closest to the PTT is the common and the middle contact is negative according to my multimeter."
By "common" do you mean positive? I need positive and negative to see if it will take a charge.

"IMO just buy a charger "
Yes thanks, I know there are cheap chargers, but if the battery is dead, I'll let the next owner figure out exactly what battery (cheap or heavy duty or lithium) and what charger (Moto rapid charge or no-name electrical hazard) they want to buy.
No need to throw money at a pet rock until it proves it isn't one.

When I was a kid every town had a "Fix-It Shop". We don't throw it out, or throw money at it, until we know why.

By process of elimination if middle is negative then common means positive. The left contact is used to communicate with the charger to tell it when it is finished charging.
You can buy a battery for less than $20 and if you decide that you no longer want it you can charge an additional $30 since it comes with 2 batteries. Chargers, on the other hand, are about $40 or less. If you spend the money on another battery or charger it will help you because you can charge more money and it will help the consumer because they don't have to buy a charger/battery if they know if they are getting one that works. If you do plan to sell it consider the condition and the age of the radio so price accordingly. No one is going to spend $200 on an old CP200 when they can spend another $100 on a nice xpr3500.

Rred

What someone will pay for a used radio, or whether I'll keep it or give it away, isn't a question here. "Waiter, what time is it?" "I'm sorry sir, this isn't my station." Same thing.

I've been working with sparky things for a long time, and the only time "common" has ever been used, has been for "common ground". Never "common positive". So when you say "common"...the obvious question is "Common what? Common ground?" The fact that a connection is common, doesn't matter. All I need to hear is "Hot is closest to the PTT, middle in negative". Farthest from the PTT then becomes, by default, charging logic, *or* a different charging (voltage?) to accommodate the different battery chemistries.

If a battery costs $20 and a charger costs $30...Folks who are just looking for a cheap radio can by a BaoFeng UV82C for $55 and get the whole works new if they shop hard enough. Yeah, it's a CCR not a milspec Moto...but again, that's not the question here. That's for another time and place.

That's for the pinout.

K2NEC

What someone will pay for a used radio, or whether I'll keep it or give it away, isn't a question here. "Waiter, what time is it?" "I'm sorry sir, this isn't my station." Same thing.

I've been working with sparky things for a long time, and the only time "common" has ever been used, has been for "common ground". Never "common positive". So when you say "common"...the obvious question is "Common what? Common ground?" The fact that a connection is common, doesn't matter. All I need to hear is "Hot is closest to the PTT, middle in negative". Farthest from the PTT then becomes, by default, charging logic, *or* a different charging (voltage?) to accommodate the different battery chemistries.

If a battery costs $20 and a charger costs $30...Folks who are just looking for a cheap radio can by a BaoFeng UV82C for $55 and get the whole works new if they shop hard enough. Yeah, it's a CCR not a milspec Moto...but again, that's not the question here. That's for another time and place.

That's for the pinout.

Yea I might have gotten on a little tangent but anyways best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.