Help with a Bearcat BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duma498

Premium Subscriber
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm a total NOOB when it comes to scanners. My birthday was yesterday, and I had mentioned to family (in passing) that I would like a scanner for my birthday. Well, they got me a 9000 channel BEHEMOTH of a scanner that I have no idea how to program, use or even listen to. The instructions are poor at best, the rest is all Greek to me. And I can't even speak English that well! LOL

But seriously, if any of you people could be of help to someone that just likes to listen in to local things on the radio, I would be much obliged. I mean, the reviews on this scanner shows it to be a top of the line type scanner, but I'm starting to think I should have a much simpler scanner. But, it being a birthday present, I want to give it the best effort before I even think of throwing in the towel on it. I love a challenge, but 9000 channels? ACK!

Anyway, thank you for your time and I apologize in advance for being such a dummy.

Duma498

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
Get yourself a copy of ARC-XT or ARC-XT PRO, a USB cable for your scanner and a subscription here..

Makes programming your scanner easy... I have the same model, purchased mine programmed with one county and went from there..

software link - ARC XT software for Uniden BCD396XT BC346XT BCD996XT BCT15XT models scanner free demo (free to use although limited for 21 days I believe)

USB cable link - Accessories for Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Police Scanner

If you were close I'd program it for you

Good luck

Duma498

Premium Subscriber
I just happened to have ordered the USB Cable and it came in today. WOOT! I have downloaded the ARC-XT Pro software and will give that a shot. It seems to be better than what came with the Uniden software that I originally had found. I also downloaded and printed the "simplified" version of the BCT15X manual. Really? I shudder at how the original read! LOL

Thanks and I'll give you an update, or a scream for help, later today. Thanks again!

Duma498

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Why not start off with freeware first... as in FreeScan - but we're jumping ahead of ourselves here

This article from our wiki contains links (in blue) to just about everything you will need to get started...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Certainly the Easier to read manual troshs mentions is a good place to start, but there's a lot of terminology and concepts that you will need to understand first. Our glossary, as well as the article on trunking by our own UPMan, will get you started...HTH..Mike

Duma498

Premium Subscriber
OK, I'm TOTALLY frustrated. I got the ARC-XT demo, went to the reference section of radio reference, copy and pasted the frequencies of the 2 counties (Hamilton Co. TN and Catoosa Co. GA) I wanted to start off listening to. I even followed, I thought, the step by step .pdf file that came with the software. It programmed the scanner (I think) but no chatter for over 2 hours now. I probably don't have something checked or unchecked. That, or I'm just plain old holding my mouth wrong, as my old Navy Chief use to say.

Thing is, there's a LOT of terminology that I just do not understand. Like I said originally, I'm new to this and I just want to hear local chatter. Now I've invested time, money (I purchased the ARC-XT Pro software before I realized that there is a lot that I just didn't know) on the assumption that it would be a breeze to set up. Just cut and paste. I have the USB cord to like the computer and the scanner. But, I'm now pre-maturely going bald from pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. (Don't 'cha just love a mid life crisis!)

I'm not an idiot. But this is making me feel like day one at college all over again. I'm finding out just how much I don't know. LOL

Anyone care to hold my hand? LOLOLOL But seriously, I have the hardware, I have the software and I have the desire. But, too much more of this type of frustration and I'm gonna wind up selling it all off. And I hate to give up.

If anyone is willing, email me and I'll send you my phone number and set up a time (at your leisure) and I'll even pay to have you help me. My father in law has already started asking me if I like the scanner. I haven't lied, I do like it, but I haven't told him I haven't figured it out yet. DOH!

Thanks for the time and suggestions. I apologize for being a dummy. But I do want to figure this out.

Duma498

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You say you copy and pasted frequencies. Did you setup this system as a "trunked system"?

Did you send the programming to the scanner? On the scanner go into Menu, Program Systems, and make sure the scanner was indeed programmed.

I recommend a Premium Membership which allows you to download the system from RadioReference instead of just pasting frequencies. This will assure you get all the site/system details, talk groups, etc.

It also appears that this system may have upgraded to digital, which your scanner can not decode. You would need a BCD996XT or a BCD396XT.

Last edited:

nanZor

How about starting out simply by just programming in some conventional freqs that I found in the database for Hamilton County.

For conventional channels, it can go as simply as this. You can do this by hand, or by software.

1) Create a SYSTEM.
2) Inside that system, you'll need to create a GROUP.
3) Inside that group, start adding your channels like these 4 channels to get you started:

154.160 "Fire Dispatch 1"
154.400 "Fire Dispatch 2"
155.295 "Emergency Ops"
156.045 "EMS Dispatch"

You can alpha-tag as you go along if you like, but it's not critical - you must have at least the frequency.

One of the System options is to create a Quick-Key. This key will allow you to toggle that system on and off from the keypad, rather than having to go into the menus to toggle it on and off. Choose a key of your liking, perhaps assign that system to key #1.

When finished, Hit scan, and see what happens!

Sometimes the pre-loaded database inside the scanner may be more confusing than it is a help. In that case, you might want to consider doing a total reset which will allow you to start with a totally clean slate to do your own programming.

Last edited by a moderator:

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
Can you read from the scanner (i.e. is communication setup properly) ?

Also I agree with W8RMH, if you join here (premium membership) you can simply go to the internet tab, radio reference... then login, select state and county, trunked system, select what you like...
For Hamilton Co. TN I'd suggest trying (Chattanooga/Hamilton Countyu Public Saftey)..

Then select all after it shows up in both panes (select all in both panes) then at the bottom select free Qkey (not necessary) then import....

At this point you have what you need on the computer in the ARC-XT software but not on the scanner yet... last step is to send it to the scanner.. you will see it connect, show you the changes (bottom pane), select the changes and send to the scanner...

Good luck

Duma498

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE

There's a bloody hole in the wall where I keep hitting my head, over and over and over..... LOL

Seriously though, some progress has been made. I became a Premium Subscriber late last night and the RadioReference Import option totally kicks butt! It made things much MUCH easier! I also went ahead and wiped the memory on the scanner per your suggestion, Hertzian. Thanks! I then imported Hamilton County TN and Catoosa County GA systems with no problem. BUT.... I still don't get any chatter. It's definitely scanning, and the squelch is set to 2. Now, I'm thinking I haven't checked a box somewhere for it to receive properly.

I mean, I've got the programming down pat, but I still can't get it to receive any signals. On the Catoosa Amateur Radio frequencies, it will stop, but I get nothing but static. This happens so much, I had to lockout that frequency (444.065). I've tried to figure out what I'm doing wrong in the "Easier to read Manual", but I don't really know what the question is I should be trying to answer. There's just so much to absorb. But, with all the advice I've gotten so far, I'm that much closer to getting this thing figured out.

W8RMH, you mentioned that this system may have been upgraded to digital, which this particular scanner cannot decode. Does this mean I'm SOL? I'm truly hoping that it's just operator error and I'm just doing something wrong. My wife says that’s usually my modus operandi. And she’s NEVER wrong! Well, to hear her tell it! HA!

Here’s a picture of the Display:

509159c1-671a-419f-ba73-ca545d8eaa4d_zps2b2173cd.jpg

And here’s what my ARC-XT looks like:

ARC-XTCapture_zps6b581f3b.jpg

I, again, appreciate all your advice and help you’ve given me. Maybe we’re closer to seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I do know that I know a lot more today than I did yesterday! LOL And still so much more to learn!

Duma498

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
Duma, where are you located? Is one of the counties your programming where you reside? Also it looks to me like you are selecting conventional systems and from my limited experience I have found found very little if any chatter on those frequencies (then again that may depend on the area I am in).. most of the chatter I hear in my area is in the 800 mhz range on trunked systems (not conventional)...

Try removing those(you can always add them back) and programming just the trunked Chattanooga/Hamilton County Public Safety channels...

good luck

Duma498

Premium Subscriber
Roger that!

And I live on the State Line between these 2 Counties.

Duma

Duma498

Premium Subscriber
DOH! Nadda, nothing! I am now going to my room, getting into my bed, pull the covers over my head and read some comic books!

Reality stinks!

Duma

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
Don't give up... let see if you can receive NOAA weather...

push menu, turn big silver knob until you see WX operation, push yes, is should default to weather scan, push yes.. do you get anything? Adjust squelch as necessary...

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Looks like both counties are P25 according to the DB..Not going to hear much on a BCT15X..

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
Interesting.... Not sure if you will be able to hear it or not, but if you go to scannermaster.com, select "choose the right scanner for your area" put in your zip code and increase distance to max, you will see a list of counties, depending on what you select they will recommend a scanner... (most everything digital from what I see)

Now I tried to find counties close to you that your scanner could pickup (non-digital systems).. so I'm not sure if you will hear them or not but you can try programming in a trunked system from Marion County, Tennessee.. that one fits the bill, there may be a few others but the two counties you are selecting now are both going to need a digital scanner...

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
So far I have found these counties that may work for you:
Marion County, Tennessee - 1*
Murray County, Georgia - 1*
Catoosa County, Georgia - 1*
Dade County, Georgia - 1*

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
ok.. so out of all the counties you could have programmed those two are the ones that need a digital scanner according to scannermaster.com.... SO... program any or all of these..

Bradley County, Tennessee - 1*
Sequatchie County, Tennessee - 1*
Marion County, Tennessee - 1*
Murray County, Georgia - 1*
Walker County, Georgia - 1*
Whitfield County, Georgia - 1*
Catoosa County, Georgia - 1*
Dade County, Georgia - 1*

Duma498

Premium Subscriber
Guys, much and many thanks for everything. I hate to say it, but I'm gonna have to throw in the towel on this one. I mean, after all, it WAS a gift. LOL I talked to both sets of parents (they went in on it together) and explained what the deal is. They had a chuckle and said they would return it, or I could keep it and use it in my horse trading enterprises. I feel bad about it. Not so much for me, but they thought this was a really good one and that's what matters most. ;)

Again, thanks for all the input and advice. You are a great group of people and I learned a lot these past few days! So with that I say: Peace, love and chicken grease!

Duma

K7CAR

I'd be very surprised if there aren't dozens and dozens of conventional frequencies waiting to be found in your area. The RR database will have very few if any listed, so don't give up on your scanner just yet. You probably loaded all outdated data. Look at the Easier to read manual and learn how to do a Custom Search. If you don't live in a valley, or 50 miles from a city you'll find 100's of active frequencies. I'd suggest posting in your State forum (scroll way down on the forum face page) I'd bet there is someone that could send you a file you could load and get you rolling.

Your scanner has a built in data base for your State, so are you hearing anything when you scan that? It's seriously out of date, but should pick up a few active frequencies. Scan the aircraft band, the 2 meter Ham band, the 152.00-170.00 mhz range. 400-500 mhz range. If you don't find dozens of conventional active frequencies you live on the moon. What do you hear when you do a weather search?.....there's built in Weather Operation.......Push Menu, Turn Silver knob to WXOperation.....Push Knob in.......Your scanner will scan the NOAA weather stations. If you don't hear one then some thing is wrong with your scanner or you live underground. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.