What do I have to do to monitor Fire/EMS In Sevier County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0wb0yup

It’s been a while since I’ve been here. Skimming through the forums, looks like there are new technologies and scanners also. I used to have a channel online for Sevier County Fire, but took it down because it was difficult to listen to. So can anyone tell me if I can set up a newer scanner to scan Fire/Medical In Sevier County? Are we still on that awful NXDN system? My ultimate goal here is to get a working feed online for Fire and ems dispatch. Thanks in advance for helping an old newbie.

c0wb0yup

Ok, not the answer I was hoping for but thank you. Hopefully they move to a different system (for interoperability) that can be monitored soon.

SCPD

QRT
Ok, not the answer I was hoping for but thank you. Hopefully they move to a different system (for interoperability) that can be monitored soon.

Only half of it can be heard, I can monitor them with my trx-2 but alot of encryption is used.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Once funds are at least in the halfway paid for range, and contract awarded... Then the 1 to 2 year process starts. Site location EPA, FEMA, FAA studies, then site construction, equipment installs. Microwave and IP backhaul infrastructure set up. Installation of the consoles, mobiles, HTs... Training. It will happen, but it could be anywhere from 1 to 4 ish years. As Secret Squirrel, James Bond as Sevier County has become on their radio system, could be hard to find the info on who has the contract etc... (If its still the same bozos, this will be an EFJ/Kenwood P25 system.)

Smartphone App?

Once funds are at least in the halfway paid for range, and contract awarded... Then the 1 to 2 year process starts. Site location EPA, FEMA, FAA studies, then site construction, equipment installs. Microwave and IP backhaul infrastructure set up. Installation of the consoles, mobiles, HTs... Training. It will happen, but it could be anywhere from 1 to 4 ish years. As Secret Squirrel, James Bond as Sevier County has become on their radio system, could be hard to find the info on who has the contract etc... (If its still the same bozos, this will be an EFJ/Kenwood P25 system.)

Wouldn't be able to be picked up via a scanner app on a phone since that stuff is routed from source A to the app? I don't have a phone with this capability but could one do it this way?

INDY72

ALL phone apps are just rebroadcast of someone using an scanner to feed it to the internet. Phone apps are not scanners and just rebroadcast the Broadcastify, or ProScan feeds . System would need to A: BE ONLINE to begin with, B: NOT BE ENCRYPTED to even be heard on a scanner, C: Be fed via a scanner or an system radio (official feed) to BCFY etc....

zachgallop

Sevier County still pages EMS on Med9, when they are at their station . Dispatch audio volume is low. All county and city Fire also still has their calls paged over UHF. That is about all you will get. Also for Sevierville Police they use their nexedge conventional frequency a lot for dispatch and unencrypted. And of course Pigeon Forge Police use p25 so their is still a lot you can get. So you can get bits and pieces of what fire & ems is responding too. Hopefully fire and ems will definitely be in the clear on the system, maybe law enforcement too.

Last edited:

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
So, I am going to visit Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mts in a couple weeks. I have noticed there are three different trunked systems in the Seviere Co area that list publuc safety in their systems. The fire services are included in two of the systems and are LTR that appear to be open to reception. Why will it be so hard to monitor the local FD/EMS. There is a long list of mostly UHF freqs too that "appear" to list publuc safety. Is that list not valid. Just trying to clear things up from the conversations you all are having. I am sure there is a ton to listen to unless the whole state is heading to encryption also. Thanks in advance. Third time to Gatlinburg should be a charm.

INDY72

The NexEDGE TRS is the main system in use, though the LTR has not been fully taken down yet from what I am told. But all the comms other than the Paging, and the conventional Fireground/Tacs is done on the NexEDGE Trunked system for most County Agencies. SPD is using both, conventional NexEDGE and the TRS. Interop is on the TRS. All comms with very few exceptions on the TRS are encrypted. As noted you can get Pigeon Forge. You should also be able to monitor Gatlinburg fine on the NexEDGE Conventional.

GSM is pure P 25, with some use of encryption by NPS Rangers. BRP I believe has finished its transition to pure P 25, also with some encryption. (They run the big E for special ops and invests, and have not gone full time E as of yet. Cross your fingers they do not, as most Fed LEA has now gone E full time.)

Last edited by a moderator:

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Thanks milf. I figured there was some kind of pattern to the madness. Years ago I remember the park rangers doing their police work all day long on one or two channels in the 172MHz range. Much more complicated now. I do not have one of the latest scanners so the NXDN systems are a mute point any way. I will program as much as I think I might hear and hope for the best. Forestry freqs too. Thanks again.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Test...….I just spent over 30 minutes typing up a reply about my trip to The Smoky Mountains. After sending the reply nothing showed up on RR Forums. Is there a moderator that may be able to find it?

INDY72

Your reply is now gone. You will have to retype it up. If it did not pop when you hit enter on that reply button... Its Lost In Space.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Smoky Mountain Trip Update - Second Try

Just got back home after a five day trip to The Great Smoky Mountain National Park and the surrounding areas. As I was told in advance my scanning results would probably be minimal at best. As I do not have the NXDN and other upgrades to a scanner or new scanner scanning would be rough. And it was.

I programmed 7 systems into my 396xt, both conventional and trunked. I will try to break down what happened for me during the trip. Hope I cover it OK.

FIRST. WHAT WORKED.

(1)
The park.

I programmed about 30 freqs and heard around 5 or so on a regular basis. They were...

172.5875 P25 Barnett Mtn Rptr NC
170.5000 (123.0) Fire Net
169.5500 P25 Clingmans Dome Rptr
171.1625 P25 Cove Mtn Rptr
170.5125 P25 Gatlinburg Rptr

(2)
Cherokee, NC. Even though we only spent a couple hours there I did hear a little. I had programmed around 10-12 freqs.

Cherokee Tribe PD 155.115 (151.4)
Cherokee Fish & Game 159.255
Hospital/EMS? 155.205

(3)
Pigeon Forge P25. From what I could find out the PD uses just one TG. I find that odd but maybe they are on a DMR or NXDN group I can not monitor.

PD 2977

(4)
TACN Only programmed one or two TG's as it seems to be used very little in the area. Here is what I think I heard.

47000 Sevier Co Sheriff
47010 unk
47018 unk
not sure if these are from TACN....

WHAT DID NOT WORK. (or very limited)

(5)
Various analog UHF and VHF freqs are listed on RR. Programmed around 20 of them and when I did hear something it sounded as if the signal was around 60 miles away. Very weak. Filled with static. Mostly unreadable signals. Here is what I though I heard.

463.0250 Sevierville EMS ??
462.9500 Sevierville EMS ?? Did hear helo traffic with hosp? Not sure.
454.1000 Paging channel?
154.3100 Seymore VFD ?
460.5000 Countywide Law?
464.1000 ?Cosby VFD?

(6)
Tennessee Forest Service. I programmed around 12 or so freqs that appeared to be local but heard nothing. Nothing at all.

(7)
Land Air Comms LTR Standard Analog. RR states it is used in Sevier Co by many agencies but after programming the system with about 30 TG's (I have done LTR systems before) I heard nothing. Nothing at all.

As I stated before I was warned. You were right. Without the most updated scanner or the most modern scanner you may not hear anything in the area. So I would like to suggest that the Tennessee moderator, or someone capable update the database for the Gatlinburg area and eliminate systems/freqs no longer used or make bold printings that they may not be used any more. As an outsider I was pretty confused trying to figure out why Sevier Co appeared to be linked to two or three systems and UHF freqs. I had no clue what they used. Maybe the listings can be simplified.

Thanks for giving me the time to take up your time. It is a beautiful area and I know why the park is the most visited in the nation. This was our third trip there.

BTW.....Can someone tell me what freqs or TG's (system) that the Cosby VFD uses? We stayed along Hwy 321 in Cosby and every night but one had a parade of emergency vehicles (FD/EMS/PD) responding to calls near our cottage. I could never 100% find the correct channels? Anyone? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.