Flag Pole Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4ZSE

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to get a flagpole and wanted to install a vertical antenna on the very top, as to no bring too much attention to it.

thanks!

KO4ZSE

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
Consider that you have to feed the antenna you want to put on the top. Will your feedline interfere with the rope/halyard? Something to consider. With the flag pole antennas, like above, the antenna is inside of the pole and you attach your feedline at the base.

a417

Consider that you have to feed the antenna you want to put on the top. Will your feedline interfere with the rope/halyard? Something to consider. With the flag pole antennas, like above, the antenna is inside of the pole and you attach your feedline at the base.
Most of the aluminum (..are they aluminum? whatever...) looking flagpoles are hollow. I used to work at a facility that ran floodlights at the top of the poles, and all the wires are inside the body. I see no reason why feedline can't be run the same way, and then an NMO (or equivalent) can't be installed in the top plate / decorative ball thingy at the top.

majoco

Stirrer
I think you may be making your job harder by wanting to mount the antenna on top of the flagpole, the radiation pattern would be very strange too - vertical antennas work best when mounted on the ground with some added ground radials - so why not use a metal flagpole with an auto-tuner right at the base - perfect disguise!

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
Most of the aluminum (..are they aluminum? whatever...) looking flagpoles are hollow. I used to work at a facility that ran floodlights at the top of the poles, and all the wires are inside the body. I see no reason why feedline can't be run the same way, and then an NMO (or equivalent) can't be installed in the top plate / decorative ball thingy at the top.
Your mileage may vary depending on the flagpole. Commercial ones have the rope on the inside. If the rope is on the outside, I'd be leery about cutting holes in the pole, especially at the base, as I'd think it would make a weak point.

It would be interesting to see what the radiation pattern would look like. You could put a whip on top and have the pole as the radial, basically making it an off-center-fed dipole.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to get a flagpole and wanted to install a vertical antenna on the very top, as to no bring too much attention to it.

What band(s)?

I know a guy that lived in a very tightly controlled HOA area. He had a flagpole that was isolated from ground and a remote tuner in the base of a planter box. Some hidden ground radials, and he did quite well.

If you are talking about VHF/UHF, it can absolutely be done. You need to figure out how to get the coax inside. Best is to come up from underneath. Avoid drilling a hole in it unless you get the OK from the manufacturer. Weakening the base would not make you a good neighbor.

As for the antenna, you could run a 1/2 wave design that wouldn't require a ground plane. You could also put up a ground plane using very thin radials that would probably go unnoticed.

You also need to figure out how to support he coax so it wasn't putting weight on the connection under the antenna.

KO4ZSE

Thank you all for the comments, it all helps. I'm still looking for the HF antenna - some of the stealth antenna's are a bit pricey - I'll post a picture once I figure it all out. :)

RadioDXfun

Omni low angle radiator
vertical antennas work best when mounted on the ground with some added ground radials

May I gently correct that majoco. For DX you want them as high as possible.

The only reason to ground mount antennas is usually convenience. The only time you should definitely ground mount an antenna is on the beach to avoid pattern break up which creates deep nulls at some useful DX angles.

Ground mounting very significantly reduces performance of any vertical antenna.

And as a general rule the higher the operating frequency (HF) the worse the performance of a ground mounted antenna becomes.

Take a look at the 2 attached images for the 10m band. One of a 1/4 wave ground mount and one of a 1/2 wave fed at 13meters.
At 5 degrees (TX and RX) the 1/2 wave elevated has +8.4dB more gain. That is big gain at that low angle.

Attachments

• half.jpg
    half.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 6
  • q.jpg
    q.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

TrainsOfThought

Land, waters, sky...an entire universe to monitor!
Premium Subscriber
I recently traversed the Gordian Knot to determine antenna positioning. I have a regional flagpole dealer/installer within 10 minutes of me and, after examining the logistics for full erection/maintenance/changes costs and PITA maybe-tweaking/maintenance needs for an antenna opted for roof chimney and roof tripods. Yes, they may LOOK perfect but the flagpole is a set-it and forget-it minimal hands-on apparatus. Maybe that's why you see so few antennas on flagpoles in your travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.