HP-2: Homepatrol 2

bjmeuser917

I recently bought a Homepatrol-2. When I type my zip code in. I can't pick any channels up. I'm in the Columbus Ohio area. Any suggestions would be great.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a Homepatrol-2. When I type my zip code in. I can't pick any channels up. I'm in the Columbus Ohio area. Any suggestions would be great.
Have you updated the database in the scanner using the Sentinel software? Just follow the instructions on page 6 of the owner's manual.

marksmith

Once you update the database using Sentinel, you can try the zip code thing again. I would recommend a range of zero miles which will concentrate on stuff in your area.

Zip code is a very crude way of programming however, and once you identify what you want to listen to, you can more specifically set up favorites lists. Hint: The main thing you will want to program are the sites of the statewide system that cover your area.

bjmeuser917

Once you update the database using Sentinel, you can try the zip code thing again. I would recommend a range of zero miles which will concentrate on stuff in your area.

Zip code is a very crude way of programming however, and once you identify what you want to listen to, you can more specifically set up favorites lists. Hint: The main thing you will want to program are the sites of the statewide system that cover your area.
I did try that. It came up it was up to date. .

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I did try that. It came up it was up to date. .
Just to be sure the database update made it into the scanner, from the main screen on the scanner select...

Menu --> Advanced Menu --> hit the down arrow --> Version Information

What date does it say there for the Database Version?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Main is 1.06 and Sub is 1.02
There have not been any firmware updates released for the HP-2. No nagging problems posted that required a firmware change to fix. Also, the HP-2 is not capable of adding addition modes, such as DMR or NXDN.

I did. My sds100 is working like a champ. Just wish I could get this one up and running.
You can export the Favorites list used for your SDS100 into an *.hpe file. That's listed under the drop-down File menu in Sentinel.

Then, you can import that hpe file into the Sentinel version for your HP-2. The x36HP & SDS series scanners have more options to set on a given channel or talkgroup, such as the Alert light, but the base programming is the same for all of these scanners. Similarly, if you have an HP-2 (or HP-1 for that matter) and are purchasing one of the x36HP or SDS series scanners, you can export your HP-1 or -2 Favorites lists into hpe files, then import them into Sentinel for the newer models, The imported file (from HP-x to x36HP or SDS series scanners) will not have the extra details that are utilized on the later model scanners, but, again, the base programming format is the same & doing the import from your HP series scanner will give you a jump start on programming the newer scanner.Once the base programming is in place, then you can edit to add any of the other details of interest to you.

Make sure that the service types you are interested in are enabled. If you are using location control, then make sure that your correct location and range are set, and that, if you are using Favorites lists, make sure that location details are filled in for all the systems & channels you are trying to monitor.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Make sure that all of the Service Types are enabled in the HomePatrol Sentinel profile. Download and Monitor must both be on for the favorites list. Did you import the favorites list from BCDx36HP Sentinel into HomePatrol Sentinel?

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Everything in your county wouldn’t be simulcast, for example trains, planes and … weather. So while simulcast distortion may be part of your problem, it would not likely be the only issue. If you are within your return period, then return it. But I suspect some of the points suggested by others should be investigated.