• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

“Menu Items” missing from APX CPS

Nbraves

Premium Subscriber
I currently run an APX7000XE M3 on my statewide system. I have been the only one to do programming on the radio and everything has been working out perfect. Until today I noticed the “menu items“ is missing from CPS. I did recently upgrade my flashcode from 9A21PE-3116F6-6 to 9g21PE-3116F4-5 , to include tone signaling. The person I got it flashed through said he has never seen any of his flashes change the CPS and the only thing that was changed was the flashcode not the model no. or anything if the sort.

Any ideas why I might be missing menu items from my CPS? Could it be flash related? Currently Running APX CPS R31.00.01

Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
And this is precisely why you shouldn't screw around with software that was never meant for the public. The "person" who changed your flash code has no clue what they're doing, and removed QA00577 Front Display and Full Keypad (as well as Q52 Federal FPP). That is why you no longer see Menu Items in CPS, because the radio is essentially now a Model 1.

The fact that this radio is a subscriber on a live system is troubling.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This is why anyone of the few who are authorized to program subscribers on my network sign a gov document stating that:
They will only use the provided hardware ASK
They will only use legitimate MSI provided copies of CPS, which means no stolen depot/lab/etc pirateware. Now that legitimate CPS can be obtained by just about anyone who registers for a Customer Hub/MyView account there is no excuse.
They will not allow anyone else to read/write or otherwise modify their codeplug without authorization
All subscribers must be from documented, vetted sources and have verifiable serial number history through the respective vendor

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I do not understand this obsession of people with radio's on a system (heck even a simple conventional pd/fd repeater for that matter) who insist on going arround those in charge of the system to play silly games with the radio so they can feel 'cool'.
If I were admining a system, and I found this, someone would no longer have a radio

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
This is why anyone of the few who are authorized to program subscribers on my network sign a gov document stating that:
They will only use the provided hardware ASK
They will only use legitimate MSI provided copies of CPS, which means no stolen depot/lab/etc pirateware. Now that legitimate CPS can be obtained by just about anyone who registers for a Customer Hub/MyView account there is no excuse.
They will not allow anyone else to read/write or otherwise modify their codeplug without authorization
All subscribers must be from documented, vetted sources and have verifiable serial number history through the respective vendor
And password protected codeplugs to keep peoples grubby fingers out of my programming.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I do not understand this obsession of people with radio's on a system (heck even a simple conventional pd/fd repeater for that matter) who insist on going arround those in charge of the system to play silly games with the radio so they can feel 'cool'.
If I were admining a system, and I found this, someone would no longer have a radio
Excatly, it would be inhibited in a second. If they were screwing with one of our Agency radios, they would also be updating their resume.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
I think this is an issue that will become even less of an issue as time goes on and more and more agencies decide to go with full time encryption, radio authentication, and other security upgrades.

It's not too much of a stretch to imagine that future radios will even be unable to be programmed to legacy systems without explicit permission. (legacy system entitlements, issued on a per radio, per system basis.) And, the day will come where the user doesn't own the radios, they are leased and all are turned in and replaced at their end of service life. Thus ENDING the radio aftermarket, at least in certain segments.

History has shown me that anything I can envision for a future upgrade or security enhancement, always comes true. If I can think of it, people who are paid well to figure it out first are already on the case.

N4KVE

And, the day will come where the user doesn't own the radios, they are leased and all are turned in and replaced at their end of service life. Thus ENDING the radio aftermarket, at least in certain segments.
But then what happens when the leasing company sells the turned in radios as “surplus equipment”? They’ll be on E-Bay the next week.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
I'm thinking that the leaser would be the company whose name is on the radio's data plate. Motorola or Harris or whatever.
Just as the cell industry renders obsolete cell phones COMPLETELY obsolete by retiring every part of the obsolete systems, I expect the public safety communications industry to eventually follow suit with a similar comprehensive retire-and-destroy model.