• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL5000 Seemingly Not Working on Talkgroup From Working Clone

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I was a little bummed that the technician who performed the work was unavailable. As a result I did not get to review the report with him. Currently this is mostly gibberish to me, hopefully in the course of my studies I will learn how to properly read this report.
We have a few Aeroflex 3920s in my shop and I use them daily. The big thing is at the beginning of the report: The Reference Oscillator. Notice how it says "< 100Hz" meaning that you want your reference oscillator to be less than 100Hz off spec? Then the fact your radio was -924Hz off? That is waaaaay off. Notice right below that the Aeroflex pulled it back in to " -19Hz"? That is muuuuch better. Only 19Hz off verses 924Hz off is night and day difference. THAT is why the radio is performing so much better.
This is why the 3920 Test sets are worth their weight in gold.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Freq was the likely culprit. Deviation was a little high, as was power setting. This combination of issues are often found on radios that have been unprofessionally "tuned" with uncalibrated instruments. I've seen analog narrowband (2.5 kHz dev spec) 25W radios cranked up to 32W and 9 kHz deviation, probably intentionally, to make them "louder"!

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
So just to reiterate most of these astro25 gear has been in service for a number of years that is hitting the surplus market and has not seen a service monitor ever. Hence why it’s always good to start out with a professional alignment.

thisguyneedsabeer

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention, if one expects performance on P25 trunked or conventional, an alignment for a 10-20 year old radio that's seen years of hard service is as mandatory as fully servicing a well used car and expecting it to stay on the road.
For sure, lot's of lessons learned here, and I'm better prepared going forward into this wild and crazy world of amateur radio.

Now that this is working, I'd like to bring the whole project home with the O3 Display Mic. I "believe" this will be as simple as changing out the control head, with PMLN5038A, changing the control head in the software, and then programming via HKN6161B, and plugging in PMUN1034B

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
We have a few Aeroflex 3920s in my shop and I use them daily. The big thing is at the beginning of the report: The Reference Oscillator. Notice how it says "< 100Hz" meaning that you want your reference oscillator to be less than 100Hz off spec? Then the fact your radio was -924Hz off? That is waaaaay off. Notice right below that the Aeroflex pulled it back in to " -19Hz"? That is muuuuch better. Only 19Hz off verses 924Hz off is night and day difference. THAT is why the radio is performing so much better.
This is why the 3920 Test sets are worth their weight in gold.

I would hope the 3920's can do better than that with Autotune and the 19 Hz error was due to the hardware limitation. My R8x00 tunes will all fail if there is more than 20 Hz of error after alignment (which is how I have them configured).

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
And all this frequency error talk is useless unless they have a highly accurate frequency standard attached to the testing device. Such as a rubidium standard.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
And all this frequency error talk is useless unless they have a highly accurate frequency standard attached to the testing device. Such as a rubidium standard.
The 3920, 8800, CX300, R2600, R8x00's all have internal calibrated references. Though you can interface them to external standards such as a Rubidium or GPSDO they don't need it for testing radios per manufacturer specifications as long as your monitor is within it's calibration certificate (which my personal R2670 is not which is why I use a GPSDO and only work on my personal stuff with that monitor).

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The 3920, 8800, CX300, R2600, R8x00's all have internal calibrated references. Though you can interface them to external standards such as a Rubidium or GPSDO they don't need it for testing radios per manufacturer specifications as long as your monitor is within it's calibration certificate (which my personal R2670 is not which is why I use a GPSDO and only work on my personal stuff with that monitor).
We have local shop that calibrates & certs our 3920s (Which we need to have done again at the beginning of this next year). :)

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
For hams or hobbyists without calibrated equipment, though, a decent (i.e. $30, not $20 :) ) SDR can be a good test instrument for frequency at least. Most higher-end trunk and paging systems will have GPSDO or some other high-quality reference and you can see a consensus for where your SDR is in relation to them by watching them over the air. Sure, it's another couple degrees of separation from a primary standard, but good enough in many cases. In my grab-and-go hobbyist bag, I've got a couple NooElec NESDR SMArt v5 that have different errors in the 2 ppm range, but hold within < 0.2 ppm after warming up for half an hour or less. I check against a good source and sticker them once in a while, and they've drifted a few tenths over a couple years. Beats lugging around a 30 pound, $40,000 monitor for some applications.