10-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos703

Did anyone happen to catch the undercover TPD units converge on the suspected wacker in east Tulsa tonight? Turned out to be a reserve officer from Keifer working a security job at an apartment complex here in Tulsa. The UC started following him because the near-cop apparently decided to pull someone over in Tulsa — red and blue lights and all. They were working on setting up an interception with some marked units when the guy stopped at a QT.

Well, once they figured out who he was, it was clear that they weren't amused. In the slightest. The conversation went something like this:

"He's a little ... 'overly zealous.'"
"That's a very nice way to put it. Those aren't the words I would use. I would probably say he's 10-30."
About 20 seconds later, "Okay, for the benefit of the William units, what's a 10-30?"
"It's something I can't broadcast."

I happened to be in the neighborhood so I stopped in to see this mysterious fellow for whom I would not have stopped. Naturally, he was quite short.

So I ask two questions: 1) Is it actually against the law for an officer to initiate a traffic stop outside his jurisdiction. 2) What exactly is a 10-30?

I should add a PS stating that I apologize in advance if the subject of this post is a member of this site.

mfolta1

10-30, inappropriate use of or misuse of police radio in possible violation of fcc regulations. something along those guidelines. i heard those cars tonight also, busy night for them.

okla-lawman

that must be the guy that works security at the apts at 3100 s. mingo. He as a car all set up Including a vector light bar with reds and blues. He was wearing a blue generic police tshirt and bdus. I was going in to serve a warrant and was going to ask him who he was when we
left but he was gone. State Law requires that officers working outside their jurisdiction wearing uniforms must have written permission from a chief law enforcement officer. Want to bet e didn't??? Furthermore he cant use red/blue lights on a security car. Since he is outside his jurisdiction working security I believe he would have to cover up his light bar. More cleet requires all cars being operated by security guards have company (as well uniform) an license number on the cars. His dept name was not on the side of the car. This is not the first time a Keifer reserve as gotten into trouble. A few years back one of their reserves started a security
company. He equipped all but one of is company cars with red/blue lights and sirens. Probably no big deal except one night he ad an alarm call and went full code at 51st and yale. I know I was there. Cleet was called . They had numerous violations. They got big fines. No surprise they went out of business shortly there after. ..Maybe it is time to call them again.

Ref authority to initiate traffic stops. That could get long and drawn out if he were a full time officer. Reserves must work under a regular officer (either in person or by radio) he obviously was
not. City officers ave no authority other than that of a normal citizen outside their jurisdiction unless requested by another agency. The U.S supreme court as ruled that a stop however brief is still a seizure of the person. Get the idea? I would love to be the attorney of the guy stopped. Terms like failure to train, negligent hiring, violation of civil rights under color of law all come to mind. Remember the two reserve officers who came to Tulsa trying to get jobs working security at Tulsa Public schools??? Tey were wearing tose generic police uniforms.
They were both convicted and sentenced to weapon charges and impersonating a police officer....

Last edited:

car2back

Is this the Keifer reserve that drives the old Caprice and tells everyone he's on the Creek Co Drug Taskforce, or the one that has plates from a city water truck on his POV Impala?

Don't apologize Chaos, it's common knowledge that KPD is a rats-nest for the "over-zealous" types. I think these pictures (that were once on their website!) say it all:
1-1.jpg

2.jpg

In other similar news, I told a deputy last night that someone should just issue guns to Turley FD and call them Turley PD, because they already all have police cars! :lol:

Last edited:

Chaos703

Thanks for details, Lawman. Makes me really wonder why they just left him alone. Maybe they plan on giving his chief a call.

FireMedic712

car2back said:
In other similar news, I told a deputy last night that someone should just issue guns to Turley FD

Don't worry, they carry as well.... :)

Last edited:

Chaos703

On a cruel but comical note, I should add that around 3AM Monday morning I found myself at another Quick Trip with the entire Gold Star Security force. It was quite an uplifting experience for me. At 6'1" I felt like gigantic god-man wading through a sea of loud children wearing police costumes. Being no more than 5'2", the afore mentioned Keifer reserve guy would have fit in perfectly.

Was that too mean?

Secret_Squirrel

Nut Protector Extraordinaire
This is the comedy that I miss. Every time I post stuff like this though, I'm the "bad guy" for pointing out the comedy factor. Oh well.

Chaos703

I think I get away with it because I have a bad ass Avatar instead of a cartoon rat.

By the way, do we have a hidden section in the DB for private security companies? I've seen a few here and there but can't seem to find the mother lode.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Chaos703 said:
I think I get away with it because I have a bad ass Avatar instead of a cartoon rat.

By the way, do we have a hidden section in the DB for private security companies? I've seen a few here and there but can't seem to find the mother lode.

Did you try the FCC License section?

Status
Not open for further replies.