10 meter FM simplex in ABQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6EEN

Is there any local 10 meter FM simplex activity (29.6 calling freq.) in the Albuquerque area? I've had the scanner running with 29.6 MHz as a channel for a few years and also give a call on occasion, but never hear any local traffic.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I think you answered your own question. As the solar cycle returns there will be more SSB traffic. I have never made any FM contacts on 10. Tried to hit some 10 meter repeaters occasionally without success. Remember "calling" frequencies are not "answering" frequencies for the most part regardless of the band.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Remember "calling" frequencies are not "answering" frequencies for the most part regardless of the band.

Curious what you mean by that statement. Don't we "call" in hopes that someone will "answer"? Even if you move to a different frequency, you need to tell the other party where you are going, right?

OP: If the traffic is SSB, I don't think you'll hear it on a scanner, since they do FM and AM only ....

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have 29.6 FM programmed in on various scanners. I never hear anyone local, but when conditions are good, I hear stations across the U.S. I turn on a transceiver and make contact with them as well on 29.600 MHz FM. When it rolls in, I even hear it using a Larsen 150/450/800 NMO antenna on the vehicle. Signals are better of course when I switch to an Off Center Fed, or Hexbeam at the house.

I too do not understand what ko6jw_2 means. Also, 29.6 is often used with FM. Well, I have never heard SSB or AM on 29.6.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
When it opens up, usually early summer and early winter, I work quite a bit of both 29.600 simplex and various repeaters. With sporadic E these signals can be incredibly strong. I have had QSO's within a group of stations on 29.600 that could last for hours, it really is quite enjoyable. This type of skip is odd, it can be as far as northern Canada or as short as southern Georgia respective to Tampa. Its all about the conditions.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Except for repeaters, 10M FM isn't generally used for point to point comms.. (Like with CB).

As KB4MSZ points out, 29 Mhz can open up for long haul contacts. Over the years on 29.600 FM simplex, I've managed to work stations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia and Japan. The only thing is, that this doesn't happen all that often... Which makes it kind of fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.