11 Mhz AF Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

joen7xxx

Feed Provider
I remember listening to an 11 Mhz. frequency years ago. I was thinking it was 11,555 khz or there abouts. It had lots if AF routine in-flight comms pretty steady throughout the day. Does anyone know what the frequency is?

Thanks

Joe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually it should be more correctly referred to as a HF-GCS frequency (part of a network formally known as GHFS). Although the AF does use the system, don't be entirely surprised if you happen to hear other services on it as well. Here's a wiki article on the subject...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/USAF_High_Frequency_Global_Communications_System

Of course with crappy propagation, it's a little harder to hear that level of activity anymore....

73 Mike

Last edited:

ridgescan

Actually it should be more correctly referred to as a HF-GCS frequency (part of a network formally known as GHFS). Although the AF does use the system, don't be entirely surprised if you happen to hear other services on it as well. Here's a wiki article on the subject...

USAF High Frequency Global Communications System - The RadioReference Wiki

Of course with crappy propagation, it's a little harder to hear that level of activity anymore....

73 Mike
.....but I keyed into both 11175 and 8992 and got a good sampling of coding and callouts here on the west coast!! I appreciate the OP bringing this up as well as the wiki, Mike-I was never aware until now. Yippie!! More stuff to monitor:D

ridgescan

All I hear on 11175 is Andrews to all stations. I have heard a young female three times and twice what sounds like guys in aircraft. I suppose that's a pretty good catch all the way from Maryland to here on the west coast. I just leave the R75 to monitor while I am doing stuff and I always get something.
I wonder what the codes are?

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
All I hear on 11175 is Andrews to all stations. I have heard a young female three times and twice what sounds like guys in aircraft. I suppose that's a pretty good catch all the way from Maryland to here on the west coast. I just leave the R75 to monitor while I am doing stuff and I always get something.
I wonder what the codes are?

They are EAM's

EAM stands for Emergency Action Message. These coded military orders and bulletins have higher traffic priority than all other traffic except in-flight emergencies. Other users of the frequencies are supposed to stand by when one is in progress.

The distinctive touch-tone beeps (DTMF tones) heard at the end of transmissions from Offutt and some others are left over from Giant Talk days. Offutt, in particular, has capability to seize all of the ground net, and truly talk like a giant. The beeps key and unkey remote transmitters. The echoes heard are both propagation delays and the result of slow landlines or satellites going to the distant sites.

SKYKING messages are special EAM, Emergency Action Messages, presumably the nuclear go/no-go codes. Urgent ones are repeated three or four times, instead of the usual two. SKYKING is a group callsign for units in the Single Integrated Operation Plan for strategic operations." "Do not answer" is the standard procedure for self-authenticating broadcasts, so that recipients don't need to give away their positions or existence by challenging the traffic.

Of couse as of today the SKYKING messages all have been drills.

Although on 9/11 and when we went into Iraq they were SKYKING messages every few minutes for about 6 hours.

Do a fourm search here on radio ref for eam and it should retrive many hits

Also see EAM

Can be heard on milair uhf freqs also 311.0 , 381.3 and 321.0

Also check out these HF-GCS freq's

Primary HF-GCS Frequencies - 24 hours 8992.0 11175.0

Back up HF-GCS Frequencies - DAY 13200.0 15016.0

Back up HF-GCS Frequencies - NIGHT 4724.0 6739.0

Last edited:

cpuerror

I've been monitoring 11.175 USB and its very interesting. There is a women sounding out coded messages, I wrote them down but I can't decipher, they appear to be gobbledygock.

Cziyqt
Wrtzoa4ihelay
Cz7tcs
Cz7tcs
n57xywgczei43efr

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Those are EAMs or Emergency Action Messages. They are supposed to be garbage to anyone but the intended group(s) to receive them. There's a brief article on EAMs on the Grove website, and it's linked in our Utility monitoring wiki 73 Mike

Hooligan

I remember listening to an 11 Mhz. frequency years ago. I was thinking it was 11,555 khz or there abouts. It had lots if AF routine in-flight comms pretty steady throughout the day. Does anyone know what the frequency is?

Thanks

Joe

Depending on how many "years ago" it was, it coulda been 11176, 11179, 11182, or 11246kHz USB for routine flight-following & command control comms.

But if it's just been a few years, it'd be 11175 for USAF/HF-GCS stuff.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere I have a recording from 11.176 of the EAM messages when the first Gulf War broke out. Scud missile alerts can be heard underneath the dozens of voices calling out the EAMs. I remember watching the TV and they seemed totally unaware of anything happening, until hundreds of planes started taking off. The day before, row after row of Apache copters could be seen being prepped for action on my C band Sat dish, and F15s and F16s could be viewed getting loaded and checked out. It was totally obvious it was about to start..

One of the most exciting things I ever heard on 11.175/11.176 except when I heard Pres. Reagan on a couple of phone patches.

skthomp

Jim--When the messages are transmitted on the UHF freqs, where do they come from geographically?

Steve, N4TX

Hooligan

EAMs usually don't have anything to do with conventional military operations, including the kick-off to Operation Desert Shield, Operation Just Cause, Eldorado Canyon, Urgent Fury, etc. Just like monitors heard EAMs going out during those events, they heard EAMs going out during relative peacetime, too. Some of the coded broadcasts aren't EAMs (EAM has a very specific meaning/definition), but are FDMs -- Force Direction Messages -- coded broadcasts directed at one or more asset from their operational control or higher headquarters. FDMs have a different formatting, but use the same standard phonetic alphabet.

EAMs/FDMs heard by us on UHF are usually being broadcast by airborne command post aircraft -- E-6Bs or E-4Bs, and are usually simulcast on several UHF channels & HF channels. EAMs/FDMs are also broadcast out on UHF by the command posts of certain air force bases.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
Jim--When the messages are transmitted on the UHF freqs, where do they come from geographically?

Steve, N4TX

My understanding is these transmissions are used as backups to the Milsat satellite feeds.
They do not Id but my guess is they are coming from airborne commands.
When I hear them there is always a command aircraft up in the area.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
My understanding is these transmissions are used as backups to the Milsat satellite feeds.
They do not Id but my guess is they are coming from airborne commands.
When I hear them there is always a command aircraft up in the area.
So when we hear these messages on HF, are you saying the messages are also simulcast - from somewhere - on the UHF freqs?

ridgescan

heavy Andrews activity now on 11175-I have noticed increased activity in general for the last 2 days. Anyone else? I also note simulcast on 8992.

Status
Not open for further replies.