11175 Postal

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
Does anyone know who Postal is? Heard them the other day on 11175kHz asking for a radio check. Offut came up and they switched to secure mode. Station identifying as Postal was very weak here. Later switched to 15010kHz but I was not able to follow unfortunately.
Here is the audio: 11175.0_postal_secure_comms.mp3

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Thought I had found it, but it was a Virtual Carrier Group logistics call sign (although Logistics would make sense). Still looking...

Not on this list (which seems to be the most current)

Last edited:

Hooligan

First of all, the station's callword was POST GOAL, not POSTAL -- don't expect the poor sap at Offutt to get it right! :)

Secondly, understand that while some callwords/callsigns are just to provide a simple identifier to be used with ATC and/or mission radio nets & thus used over a long timespan (for example, the REACH # callsigns used by aircraft on Air Mobility Command missions) & often based on a linkable characteristic of the platform ("OLD SALT" being the USS NIMITZ) or related to the history of the unit/mission (many dating back to the Vietnam War), other callsign/callwords are somewhat randomly picked, used for a brief period of time, and sometimes only on one radio net, for operational security reasons. POST GOAL would fall into the latter category.

Some educated guesses can be made, based on the station using that sort of tactical callword, and having ANDVT capability, but they'd still be guesses.

brandon

Database Admin
13-Apr-2010,time I don't know specific but would have been between 8-12am PDT

BMT

Checking Mode-S logs my best guess for that time frame.
You were hearing an E-6B TACAMO.

BMT

brandon

Database Admin
Thanks guys.

As for posting audio, just feed it from the output of the radio to the line input on the PC. Use a program such as ScanRec or Audacity to record the line input. Now with the SDR the audio is already fed over USB, so I just record the Stereo Mix instead of line in. I have my own hosting so I just upload the files there to share with the public. Otherwise you could put them on Dropbox or SkyDrive for distribution. Some people upload them to YouTube as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.