159.090 MHz - Heard in St. Mary's county

Status
Not open for further replies.

scansomd

:?:
I am hearing police type transmissions on 159.090 here in St. Mary's county with nothing more than an old stock (indoor) antenna on an old scanner (BC 300 to be exact).

An FCC search on this frequency lists Howard and Somerset Counties as authorized users. I suppose ducting could be bringing the signal this far away, but I suspect otherwise.

Anyone know who / what I am hearing?

SCPD

QRT
If you have the capability for CTCSS on your scanner, try 103.5hz. Howard County used/uses that tone on their PD freqs.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
scansomd said:
:?:
I am hearing police type transmissions on 159.090 here in St. Mary's county with nothing more than an old stock (indoor) antenna on an old scanner (BC 300 to be exact).

An FCC search on this frequency lists Howard and Somerset Counties as authorized users. I suppose ducting could be bringing the signal this far away, but I suspect otherwise.

Anyone know who / what I am hearing?

Howard left this freq some time ago, when they brought up their 800 digital system. I understand the repeater was left up as a backup in case things failed, but seeing that you heard this just on the stock whip is kinda iffy.

More likely you heard Somerset county - listen for the callsign (if they give one) and look it up on the FCC db. That's really the only way to be sure. It's possible it was Howard, but very unlikely.

73s Mike

radio

Premium Subscriber
RE: 159.09 in St Mary Co MD

That is the primary channel for the King George Co VA Sheriff's Dept. It is not surprising to hear that in St Mary's. Speaking about St Mary's Co, their new pager frequency can be heard loud and clear in Prince William Co VA, since the same 154.980 is still used by the Manassas Park FD.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re: RE: 159.09 in St Mary Co MD

radio said:
That is the primary channel for the King George Co VA Sheriff's Dept. It is not surprising to hear that in St Mary's. Speaking about St Mary's Co, their new pager frequency can be heard loud and clear in Prince William Co VA, since the same 154.980 is still used by the Manassas Park FD.

And in a wonderful bit of irony, BWI uses that as one of its operations frequencies; PL is 123.0 (for those of you that chase skip....)

73s Mike

Waldo325mvfd

yea, 159.09 is in King George VA.
The pager frequency 154.98 can be heard in northern farifax(broken but readable). they nead to do something near chaptico or 7District because my pager works but you can barley tell whats going on. 8)

emtLarmy15

159.090 is used by the Crisfield Police Department in Somerset Co... they use the Call name: Crisfield...and units are in the 2600 series (2630 and up I think....pronounced: Twenty Six Thirty) ... You could very easily be hearing them through skip cause they are directly across the chesapeke from ya... hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.