166.125 Kern-Tulare Counties, no fcc data on us forset service

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979lee

Any clue who i am picking up?
ive got this ch down as BLM.
i am unable to find anything in the fcc database
related to the us forest service/Blm , why is that?,
ive got the callsign for 168.775 sequoia KMB740 the fcc database tells me this is not a real callsing ect...
166.125 Kern-Tulare Counties
pl 103.5
pl107.2

it sound like a law enforcement channel for the sequoia national forest,
porterville dispatch is mentioned a lot.
most of the radio traffic is coming from units patroling Hwy 190 near springville.

thanks

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
FYI

The NTIA deals with the feds and their frequencies, that's why you won't find any information with the FCC. I am sure someone more local can help with an ID.

Last edited:

1979lee

FYI

The NTIA deals with the feds and their frequencies, that's why you won't find any information with the FCC. I am sure someone more local can help with an ID.

Grog,

Thanks for that bit of info, didnt know about that one...
does the ntia have a site to look up freq's ect???

thanks

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nothing official for us mere mortals, but there are hobbiest who do deal in certain specialties. I know exsmokey has quite the extensive knowledge of various federal fire fighting information in the western part of the US. He will likely stop by since he is in California.

1979lee

Nothing official for us mere mortals, but there are hobbiest who do deal in certain specialties. I know exsmokey has quite the extensive knowledge of various federal fire fighting information in the western part of the US. He will likely stop by since he is in California.

Grog again thank you, and yup Exsmokey is absolutly brillant when it comes to the forest service area!

well at least i now know why i cant find anything on the fed stuff.... Rats>........

thanks,lee

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Possibly USFS Law Enforcement?

Grog,

Thanks for that bit of info, didnt know about that one...
does the ntia have a site to look up freq's ect???

thanks
Federal frequencies, with a few exceptions like riverflow data transmitters and occasionally some shared firefighting frequencies, have never been under the control of the FCC or in their databases. Federal & Military radio stuff is governed by the Dept of Commerce's National Telecommunications and Information Administration, specifically the Frequency Assignment Subcommittee.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/FAS/fas.htm and
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/iracdefn.html

They work with the FCC to coordinate and plan, but they've been an entirely separate agency, and were created in the early 1920s, about 10 years before the FCC. It seems to me that the govt "classified" the NTIA frequencies about 1980. Prior to that you could buy microfiche or printed lists from the Government Printing Office or from commercial outfits like CRB Research, IIRC. CRB printed their stuff in really teeny tiny font, squeezing hundreds of freqs on a page.

166.125 is used by USFS Law Enforcement Rangers in parts of California, including up here on the Six Rivers NF.

Last edited:

JayMojave

Hello 1979Lee:

I don't remember hearing 166.125 but I will program it in the scanner that scans the known good frequencies. This is the reason I use two scanners to hear the USFS or any other group. They use some frequencies that are not published at times or maybe they get new frequencies that arn't published.

I use one scanner to scan the known frequencies and a other scanner to search the upper VHF band 164 to 174 MHz something like that. As an axample I have heard the Air Tankers chet chat amount them selves on the aero band, while waiting to make a air drop to put out a fire. Interesting to say the least.

Jay in the Mojave

1979lee

Hello 1979Lee:

I don't remember hearing 166.125 but I will program it in the scanner that scans the known good frequencies. This is the reason I use two scanners to hear the USFS or any other group. They use some frequencies that are not published at times or maybe they get new frequencies that arn't published.

I use one scanner to scan the known frequencies and a other scanner to search the upper VHF band 164 to 174 MHz something like that. As an axample I have heard the Air Tankers chet chat amount them selves on the aero band, while waiting to make a air drop to put out a fire. Interesting to say the least.

Jay in the Mojave

Hello Jay

Thats a good idea you got there for your scanners, i might have to try that(i got the equipment aka pro-2055)

Eng74, yes i am aware of that, ive heard them doing rescues over the past years in the lower krc. thanks for the info though.

hmarnell

Thats some very good history Thank you.

SCPD

QRT
166.125 is a law enforcement net for the U.S. Forest Service in their Region 5 (Pacific Southwest Region or California). I normally don't comment on law enforcement frequencies, however, this one has been the subject of a thread or two in the last 2 years. Many National Forests in California have repeaters using this frequency. I don't have any information specific to tones and locations for all of them.

1979lee

166.125 is a law enforcement net for the U.S. Forest Service in their Region 5 (Pacific Southwest Region or California). I normally don't comment on law enforcement frequencies, however, this one has been the subject of a thread or two in the last 2 years. Many National Forests in California have repeaters using this frequency. I don't have any information specific to tones and locations for all of them.

Exsmokey,

yeah i was hoping, maybe you? might have the tones and info, guess this is one mistery channel:D

thanks all, i start digging if i find anything worth posting ill post it

Micro_Miner

Usfs/blm

The Channel is used by both LE agencies USFS and BLM out of Porterville for the Sequoia National Forest area.

The Repeater is: 164.625

Status
Not open for further replies.