1998 Camry installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerBoots

I took my wife's old car a year ago, (I bought her a new one, funny how they always wind up with the new car.) and just now got around to installing the radios.(Yeah I know)

The BCT15 went in the second DIN slot below the factory radio, which had a storage cubby in it since the car didn't have the factory CD player.

The Yaesu FT8800r control head was mounted in the overhead sunglass storage bin, the cover comes off and I mounted the head on a bracket I made from aluminum sheet.
I ran a mike extension cable from the control head through the center console and into the storage bin where it connects to the mic via a straight thru connector. When the car is parked I keep the mic in the storage bin, out of sight. The radio itself is mounted in the trunk under the rear window deck lid.

Both antennas use NMO hole mounts. The one on the trunk is a Larsen tri band and is for the scanner, its the same antenna our local SO uses on their patrol cars for their scanners, which are also BCT15's.
The antenna on the roof is an Austin 500c for the FT8800. I dipped the stainless steel whip in black Plastidip so the whole antenna would be black. (Sorry about the muddy cat prints all over the car, I haven't washed it because were expecting more rain.) If you look close you can see the two Midland speakers for the radios through the back window between the headrests and the stereo speakers.
I am very happy with the outcome of this install.

Attachments

• 2014-03-27_12-31-45.jpg
    2014-03-27_12-31-45.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,744
  • 2014-03-27_12-32-38.jpg
    2014-03-27_12-32-38.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 2014-03-27_12-34-32.jpg
    2014-03-27_12-34-32.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 2014-03-27_12-36-33.jpg
    2014-03-27_12-36-33.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 2014-03-27_12-39-42.jpg
    2014-03-27_12-39-42.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,334

SCPD

QRT
nice

Heck thats great,you took advantage of the pocket and popped a scanner in there! Wondering if you can close the eyeglass holder on the roof?
Who'd you get the camry from a little old lady from Pasadena?The plastic in the car is in good shape.

ScannerBoots

SARA group is fantastic, they are very involved in public events, and Emergency services. All of our local hospitals as well as the county wide 911 center have amateur radio stations. You can be as involved as you want or just hang out on the repeaters.

ScannerBoots

Thanks, I had a year to think about it. LOL.

Heck thats great,you took advantage of the pocket and popped a scanner in there! Wondering if you can close the eyeglass holder on the roof?
Who'd you get the camry from a little old lady from Pasadena?The plastic in the car is in good shape.

We bought it in 98 and now have almost 228000 miles on it and still going strong. It was my wife's car and when I bought her a new Forester last year I took the Camry for me so I'm not putting a lot of miles on my truck. Camry's more economical too!

ScannerBoots

Can't close the eyeglass compartment because you have to remove the cover to fit the control head. The control head is not visible from outside the car unless you crouch down low and look up tho.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 967

ScannerBoots

Here is what the cubby looks like once it was removed from the DIN slot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 990

CanesFan95

It's a shame how newer cars don't have DIN / double DIN slots. Cars now have the stock radio integrated into a computerized system so you can' upgrade the head unit.

For me, that CASSETTE deck would have been switched out long ago. Even a current $80 - $100 Wal-Mart special will prolly be a huge improvement.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Excellent work and yes that car looks far better than my family's '98 Camry (exact same color)!

ScannerBoots

Thanks! What's your impression???

Mike
My Larsen NMO 2/70 works slightly better, however it is also much longer. This is my second Austin 500, my son has one as well, those 2 are the soft top version. I like this one much better for looks alone. As far as performance I don't think you can beat the 500c in this size antenna. I regularly work repeaters over 50 miles away, and often on only 5 watts!

ScannerBoots

It's a shame how newer cars don't have DIN / double DIN slots. Cars now have the stock radio integrated into a computerized system so you can' upgrade the head unit.

For me, that CASSETTE deck would have been switched out long ago. Even a current $80 - $100 Wal-Mart special will prolly be a huge improvement.

I know what you mean. I was looking at my wife's 2013 Forester and I could easily mount a dual band remote head, but there is absolutely no way I could see how to mount a BCT15 in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.