2 Meter Simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHam

Been a ham for less than 3 months now. Got a HT triband and have been able to work the local repeaters in the Richmond area. Now I want to play with/learn about simplex. I see in the arrl band plan that 144.2 is listed as the calling frequency and 146.52 is the national simplex calling frequency.

I'm wondering what the difference between these two frequencies for calling are? All of my work will be FM voice.

What is the best way to get into simplex? Also, I'm not yet connected to very many local hams. Working on that over the winter spring.

I'm setting up my HT to scan the simplex frequencies.

Eric
KK4MWM

k3cfc

Silent Key
In my area we all hang out on 147.090 then go to a simplex so we don't tie up the repeater.

K3CFC

jim202

Been a ham for less than 3 months now. Got a HT triband and have been able to work the local repeaters in the Richmond area. Now I want to play with/learn about simplex. I see in the arrl band plan that 144.2 is listed as the calling frequency and 146.52 is the national simplex calling frequency.

I'm wondering what the difference between these two frequencies for calling are? All of my work will be FM voice.

What is the best way to get into simplex? Also, I'm not yet connected to very many local hams. Working on that over the winter spring.

I'm setting up my HT to scan the simplex frequencies.

Eric
KK4MWM

You should find that depending where you are around the country, the simplex frequencies other than 146.52 are not used that often. There are a few who have regular commute chats on the other simplex channels, but for the most part I think you will find the 146.52 would be your best bet.

I travel around the country frequently by vehicle. I generally have a receiver on the .52 channel all the time. Don't hear much at all on it.

You will find much more activity on the repeater channels. You main problem will be trying to find the correct CTCSS tone to activate the different repeaters you find. Most of the repeater databases are very bad in providing this information. Even the ARRL repeater book is not the holy grail for this information.

Not sure if it's the repeater owners not wanting every Tom, Dick and Harry on their repeaters or what. In my travels between the southern part of New Hampshire and the New Orleans area, there are a ton of repeaters. It has probably taken 10 years to get the repeater list I keep correct for the needed tone.

nd5y

I see in the arrl band plan that 144.2 is listed as the calling frequency and 146.52 is the national simplex calling frequency.

144.2 is the SSB calling frequency. Operating FM there would be a good way to make enemies real quick.

W2NJS

In the ARRL Repeater Directory, which will cost you less than $15, there is information on the exact band plans for every ham band from 6 meters and up. It specifically gives the suggested frequencies and modes for all of the VHF and UHF bands. The CW and SSB channels are usually at the low end of the 2 meter band. You can also probably find this data via a Google search, but the Repeater Directory is a good reference source even though it goes out of date regularly.

SCPD

QRT
It's my understanding that ANY calling frequency, 146.52, 446.000, etc., is just that..... a calling frequency. It's used to call a station and, once contact is made, move to another frequency so others may call their station. I've been to areas where 146.52 is used as a general chit chat/homestead freq and the ops get upset if you try to call another station. My fellow hams ALWAYS want to go to "the .52" when we're in simplex range and want to move from the repeater... I try to discourage that practice and usually recommend another frequency. I have all the ARRL recommended simplex frequencies loaded in my radio(s) so I can go to one without hesitation.

Several of the hams in our area (Techs, Generals, and Extras alike) can't figure out how to program their radios and make all frequency their changes in the VFO.... NOTHING loaded into the memories. I've heard other hams coach them on air on how to enter a freq, change modes, etc. Are we becoming lazy operators? Study enough just to get the ticket and leave it at that? No interest in learning band plans, procedures, etc.? I earned my ticket in 1995 and made every effort I could to learn as much as I could about the hobby because I wanted to do things the right way. Sadly, I think that sort of mentality is fading off into the sunset. Sorry for the rant....

k3cfc

Silent Key
It's my understanding that ANY calling frequency, 146.52, 446.000, etc., is just that..... a calling frequency. It's used to call a station and, once contact is made, move to another frequency so others may call their station. I've been to areas where 146.52 is used as a general chit chat/homestead freq and the ops get upset if you try to call another station. My fellow hams ALWAYS want to go to "the .52" when we're in simplex range and want to move from the repeater... I try to discourage that practice and usually recommend another frequency. I have all the ARRL recommended simplex frequencies loaded in my radio(s) so I can go to one without hesitation.

Several of the hams in our area (Techs, Generals, and Extras alike) can't figure out how to program their radios and make all frequency their changes in the VFO.... NOTHING loaded into the memories. I've heard other hams coach them on air on how to enter a freq, change modes, etc. Are we becoming lazy operators? Study enough just to get the ticket and leave it at that? No interest in learning band plans, procedures, etc.? I earned my ticket in 1995 and made every effort I could to learn as much as I could about the hobby because I wanted to do things the right way. Sadly, I think that sort of mentality is fading off into the sunset. Sorry for the rant....
With the technology in radios changing all the time it's hard to keep up. this is where elmers come into play if you don't know ask. everybody has their area of expertise sounds like yours is ridicule.

K3CFC

DaddyHam

Thanks to all the replies.

frootydawg,
My plan is different. While I got my general in 2.5 months after my technician I am a life long learner. While I could jump in and buy a HF rig and start transmitting I'm taking it slow. I spent several days just listening on the local repeaters till I started transmitting on UHF/VHF. And even today I listen a lot more than transmit. But I will wait for an elmer to coach me and let me observe their practices in the shack.

I have surrounded myself with ARRL books and am studying antenna design, radio circuits, operational practices and more. I'm luck I love to learn and have a technical (sw mostly) background. And I have started to attend local Ham meetings.

I have programmed in 39 repeaters that cover 100 miles out. I have avoided simplex till now. I like the idea of programming in simplex frequencies. I have 40 memories and have used only 39.

Thanks again for all the advise.

Eric
KK4MWM

k3cfc

Silent Key
You should find that depending where you are around the country, the simplex frequencies other than 146.52 are not used that often. There are a few who have regular commute chats on the other simplex channels, but for the most part I think you will find the 146.52 would be your best bet.

I travel around the country frequently by vehicle. I generally have a receiver on the .52 channel all the time. Don't hear much at all on it.

You will find much more activity on the repeater channels. You main problem will be trying to find the correct CTCSS tone to activate the different repeaters you find. Most of the repeater databases are very bad in providing this information. Even the ARRL repeater book is not the holy grail for this information.

Not sure if it's the repeater owners not wanting every Tom, Dick and Harry on their repeaters or what. In my travels between the southern part of New Hampshire and the New Orleans area, there are a ton of repeaters. It has probably taken 10 years to get the repeater list I keep correct for the needed tone.
It's a little difficult to talk on echo link when your hanging out on simplex. how are you going to hear them? as for the ctcss tones when there chatting on a repeater just push the tone button on the front of your radio and it will scan and stop on the tone being used. then you figure out the proper off set and there ya go.

K3CFC

DaddyHam

It's a little difficult to talk on echo link when your hanging out on simplex. how are you going to hear them? as for the ctcss tones when there chatting on a repeater just push the tone button on the front of your radio and it will scan and stop on the tone being used. then you figure out the proper off set and there ya go.

K3CFC

That is really good to know.

Eric
KK4MWM

millrad

Premium Subscriber
In my 28 years in the hobby, I find that 146.52 isn't just a calling channel (in Connecticut). There's a small group of hams that us it for chit chat, but will yield the frequency and move if needed. Seems not to be a problem, because simplex FM activity is very low,compared to repeater use.
Aside from VHF contests and grid square collectors, there is almost no regular use of 144.2 SSB.

k3cfc

Silent Key
In my 28 years in the hobby, I find that 146.52 isn't just a calling channel (in Connecticut). There's a small group of hams that us it for chit chat, but will yield the frequency and move if needed. Seems not to be a problem, because simplex FM activity is very low,compared to repeater use.
Aside from VHF contests and grid square collectors, there is almost no regular use of 144.2 SSB.

Very well explained.

K3CFC

W2NJS

With further to the "VFO only" guys referred to above, unless you're a regular user of your dualband HT you'll forget how to do most of the operations in a short time unless you use the thing regularly. Of course that's not a real excuse for doing "VFO only." The example put me in mind of the question you used to hear very often but seems to have lessened in recent years that went, "So 146.91; now, is that plus or minus?" Arrrgh!

gcgrotz

Hi daddyham, I trust you made it to the frostfest. It seemed like the attendance and vendor tables were down quite a bit from the last few years. It was still all good however. I noticed a few vendors selling the Chinese H-T and new mobile radios very cheap.

The best source for VA repeaters, complete with tones, is to join the Southeastern Repeater Association The SouthEastern Repeater Association, Inc. :: Home and get their quarterly magazine that has all repeaters listed in the southeast. DC area repeaters are handled by T-MARC. The ARRL guide is pretty good, and the online listings are generally inaccurate.

As for 146.52, we have some activity around here and I have it in the scan list in the mobile. I know of at least one remote base around here that connects to a number of repeaters. If you are just running around with just a handheld on .52 it will be a rare thing to hear anyone.

DaddyHam

Hi daddyham, I trust you made it to the frostfest. It seemed like the attendance and vendor tables were down quite a bit from the last few years. It was still all good however. I noticed a few vendors selling the Chinese H-T and new mobile radios very cheap.

The best source for VA repeaters, complete with tones, is to join the Southeastern Repeater Association The SouthEastern Repeater Association, Inc. :: Home and get their quarterly magazine that has all repeaters listed in the southeast. DC area repeaters are handled by T-MARC. The ARRL guide is pretty good, and the online listings are generally inaccurate.

As for 146.52, we have some activity around here and I have it in the scan list in the mobile. I know of at least one remote base around here that connects to a number of repeaters. If you are just running around with just a handheld on .52 it will be a rare thing to hear anyone.

gcgrotz

Yea I was at FrostFest. I expected to see more primary vendors like Kenwood. But I loved talking to the elecraft people and others. Saw and almost bought one of the chinese HT but decided I need to save my money for a HF rig. Oh how I want the kx3 from elecraft. Will see. I don't do CW yet and have to decide what is next.

I will join the sera. Seems like a great idea. Thanks.

I did get an antenna for my car and it is so much better.

thanks again

Eric
KK4MWM

KJ4DMI

Hi Eric. Glad you made it to frostfest. Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the ARES table. I was walking around most of the time, so I didn't get much shopping done.
There are a few people around us that use .52, but not many. Each county has a simplex freq. that they use for ARES. Henrico's is .58. You may be able to stir someone up in the evenings. Have fun with the new radio and don't forget to check into the nets on Mondays@ 2100 and Thursday @2030 on the .43. Don't be shy. We'd love to hear from you and we're always there to help out.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.