2004 Toyota Hilux Install from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4BOZ

Premium Subscriber
Another thumbs up for the MD player... even though we should be paying attention to the radios!

What's the deal with the SGC tuner and what looks like a 108" whip? Are you using that all over HF and if so, how does it perform?

VK5ZEA

Hands-down, this is the best install I've seen come out of Australia. Your power wiring and distribution is exemplary; I literally could not do any better myself. You must not live in a heavily urbanized area, though, or that IC-2800 would be next to useless from intermod and overload. I also approve of the MD player. :D I use almost the same exact one in my vehicle.

I'm curious about your NMEA distribution block.. is that a commercial item or homebrew?

Thanks for the comment. It's been a continual work in progress. When I install radios in clients vehicles I can never spend as much time as I would like to get it "just right". On my own truck, I can take as much time as I like.

The NMEA distribution box is from New Zealand. It's originally designed for use on fishing boats to allow one GPS receiver to send data to up to eight devices. I was going to build one myself, but this was a very elegant way to get it done.

DD20 - Data Distributor

I've modified mine slightly... it's powered through Pin 9 of the GPS socket and also in turn distributes that 12V to Pin 9 of the data output sockets. This can then power other devices as well as sending them NMEA data... eg. the HamHud II, TinyTrak3 on the HF, a NMEA datalogger.

VK5ZEA

What's the deal with the SGC tuner and what looks like a 108" whip? Are you using that all over HF and if so, how does it perform?

I used to have an Icom AH-4 coupler and found it didn't really like working on the lower bands 30m-80m with a short(er) whip antenna. The SGC237 works a whole lot better, I've bought a small interface box from Ham Hits that interfaces between the SGC and the Icom radio.
Welcome to Intelligent Software Solutions

The antenna in the photos is around 10' tall. It's from a company called Moonraker here in Australia. It's a segmented "man pack" antenna that has an internal shock cord. It folds up to around 13" in length. I don't use it while mobile.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Awsome outback!
One of the nicer 4x4 yotas I've seen.

n9zas

WX4EMT

Very professional installation! You should take great pride in showing that system it's absolutely OUTSTANDING!

Status
Not open for further replies.