2013 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4TF

I just got the installation all buttoned up on my Explorer. This is my first post from the cell phone app, so I hope this works :)

Installation is with ProClips, and drilled roof mounted nmo mounts for the Moto MCS2000 and Icom 208h

ytusynys.jpg

maje8umu.jpg

agyvypus.jpg

Last edited:

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Mobile Setup

Dear AJ4VS,
Nice job on the install. I also have an Explorer, but am having one heck of a time finding a way through the double firewall for routing a power feed for my mobiles. How did you accomplish your power feed? Thanks. - JB

12dbsinad

Very nice, looks sweet! So, I have to ask, where did you end up hiding the drawer units and also the Whelen HHS2200 unit I see pictured??

com501

When that passenger side airbag goes off, someone is going to get an MCS2000 control head face implant at about 70mph. Have you seen how big the airbag is on the new Explorers, and the deployment angle?

W4TF

Dear AJ4VS,
Nice job on the install. I also have an Explorer, but am having one heck of a time finding a way through the double firewall for routing a power feed for my mobiles. How did you accomplish your power feed? Thanks. - JB

There's a pass through behind the glove box

Awesome job!

Mike

Thank you

Very nice, looks sweet! So, I have to ask, where did you end up hiding the drawer units and also the Whelen HHS2200 unit I see pictured??

The radios are under passenger seat, HHS under driver seat

When that passenger side airbag goes off, someone is going to get an MCS2000 control head face implant at about 70mph. Have you seen how big the airbag is on the new Explorers, and the deployment angle?

Free "M" tattoo! Awesome!! :) Actually, the picture is deceiving, the radio is more towards the middle of the dash than it appears. I should have taken a pic from the drivers seat and you would see what I mean.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Free "M" tattoo! Awesome!! :) Actually, the picture is deceiving, the radio is more towards the middle of the dash than it appears. I should have taken a pic from the drivers seat and you would see what I mean.

While I agree that I don't think it would fly toward the person in the passenger seat, if there is someone riding there, it would likely get crushed over toward the center and definitely sustain some damage when the dash opened up and the airbag deployed. Not saying you are wrong to put it there, just that it would likely happen that way...

And I agree with others - great looking install on a nice vehicle! Looks slick!

com501

Well, there are a few considerations that everyone should pay attention to when mounting anything in the range of airbags.

First, it really doesn't matter about the interior of the vehicle, if the passenger side airbag goes off, chances are the vehicle will be a total loss. Count on the entire dash, center and instrument cluster being replaced for starters plus whatever outside damage there is.

Second, anything mounted above the level of the lower edge of the passenger airbag deployment cover is going to be removed by the force of the airbag. The passenger airbag on many vehicles occupies almost the entire space from the A pillar to 2/3 of the way past the right edge of the entertainment system in the center area, and from the ceiling to the height of the passenger's knees.
It may only be for a fraction of a second, but those bags are BIG, and they come out with a LOT of force, as they are designed to potentially stop TWO people, one in a passenger seat, and one in a middle center seat position. The passenger should NEVER have their legs resting on the dash, for instance. This will result in at least one broken leg, a fractured hip and some severe bone injuries in the face and eye sockets as both knees and legs are propelled into the face in half a second as the air bag deploys. (I've seen this type of wreck, it's really ugly.)

Third, where your control head is mounted in this installation, is an ideal ergonomic location, but for the consideration of safety, you might want to look at mounting it lower towards the surface of the center console, so that if the airbag deploys, WHEN it rips the bracket off the side of the console, it will be propelling it out and DOWN, and not out and ACROSS towards the driver. The whole thing's going to be a loss anyway, you just want to avoid having additional injuries from avoidable debris inside the vehicle. Worry about that oncoming drunk that just hit you, instead.

KZ9G

Premium Subscriber
Did you do the NMO install yourself? If you did, did you need to remove the headliner?

lafd55

How was the antenna installation, I will be installing a couple antennas soon in my '13. Also I think would be a good idea would be to remove the hatch in the console where the USB and GPS chip is and mount the radio there. Me though I'm mounting it in the armrest compartment.

W4TF

no, i didn't install the antenna mounts. I took it to our local emergency vehicle upfitters to drill and install the mounts.

LAFD55 - i thought about that, but I use those ports too often to block their access.

W4TF

Thanks. That's an APX6000

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That's an APX6000

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I see the "hidden" LEDs on the back liftgate, above/beside the LP...what other lighting do you have hidden away on that Explorer?

I like that it's a Limited trim package vehicle fitted with your emergency gear - proves you can drive in class and comfort but still have equipment installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.