2014 Subaru Outback Scanner and VHF Radio install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Working on permanent installs in my personal vehicle which is a 2014 Subaru outback. This has been a work in progress but I thought I'd share what I've accomplished so far.

First the roof.

I removed the shark fin antenna on the back that is used for satellite radio (that I don't use) and used that hole and installed an NMO mount for the antenna for my cell phone booster, the short stubby antenna is for that.

I then had a local radio shop drill two more holes in the center and one towards the front and put in two more NMO mounts.

The middle antenna goes to a Motorola CDM1550LS unit that is mounted in the back of the car. For now I have it strapped in the back as I'm not sure yet of the permanent location of it and the cell booster yet. I might mount it in the spare tire area if I can figure out a way to do it and the cell phone booster without the need to move them if the spare tire needs accessed.

The front antenna (which is just capped off for now, I have a second 1/4 wave antenna ordered for it) is routed up behind the dash for a handheld scanner.

50734490931_6f30f3f75c_k.jpg

Here is where I mounted the control head for the CDM1550LS, it took a bit of work to make this happen but it is mounted very securely in this location, all I lost was the sunglass holder which I never use anyway. I use this radio for receive only, if/when I get my license I'm not sure how this location would work with a mic but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Also the inside antenna for the cell booster is just to the back of this console between the two lights on the other side of the headliner. Just FYI this location does not block any view from my rear view mirror.

50734596532_35628c8182_h.jpg

Here is where I mounted the scanner, I bought a mount from PanaVise, was pretty easy to install, all I had to do was remove the trim around the radio and heat/ac controls, and then remove one screw. I plan on putting a right angle BCN end on the coax, I just didn't have any on hand. I like having a hand held here so if I want to take it out of the vehicle with me I can easily, I keep a rubber duck antenna in the map pouch in the door just for that purpose. The coax can easily be coiled up and put into the glove box if needed.

50734490076_298cd8d384_h.jpg

I decided to go with 1/4 wave antennas tuned for 152-162 because that covers most of what is in my area any I have a strong interest monitoring the railband, there is some stuff on UHF here but these antennas do pretty well on that as well, and I can get under my carport without hitting anything. They are also very low profile and don't draw a lot of attention, and the black color blends in quite well with the roof rails. And if I want a higher gain or more tuned antenna obviously I can easily change it out.

So far I'm very happy with how this has turned out. There are very few locations any wires can be seen, and they are all secured and tucked away, mostly they are all ran on top of the headliner or behind trim. Once I get the cell booster and CDM radio permanently installed in the rear of the vehicle I'll update the thread.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Nice job.

You can always run the mic off the accessory connector on the back of the radio and put it where it works best. Same for a remote speaker.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Nice job.

You can always run the mic off the accessory connector on the back of the radio and put it where it works best. Same for a remote speaker.

Thanks for that tip. I love these Motorola radios for stuff like that. They can be a real pain to program but so many cool things about them.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Very nice, looks great! I'm a fan of the overhead console installs - great use of space in smaller vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.