2024 NC State Fair Monitoring Guide

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It's time again for the NC State Fair! Opening day is today, THURSDAY, October 17th. I do not believe there will be an audio feed on Broadcastify this year.

NOTE: To monitor the NCSHP Training Center or West Raleigh VIPER Sites during the NC State Fair (the main towers carrying traffic) you must have a digital scanner, or SDR with software, capable of following 700Mhz Sites!!!

For those with scanners, or SDRs, the following digital Statewide Event talkgroups on VIPER are in use for NC State Fair:

Statewide Events Kilo 1 (TG 52758)= Medical/EMS/Fire Ops
Statewide Events Kilo 2 (TG 52759)= LE/Ride Insp/FairGrnds Staff Interior Ops
Statewide Events Juliet 1 (TG 52745)= SHP Command & Traffic
Statewide Events Juliet 2 (TG 52746)= Special Ops
NCSFMAIN (TG 52071) = Fairgrounds staff/Public Safety Branch
NCDACSVS (TG 51607) = NC Dept of Agriculture Customer Svc for setup

You may also hear traffic on Dept of Agriculture (51601-51608) and State Fire Marshall's (52046-52050) Viper talkgroups.

For those taking scanners to the Fairgrounds you might also want to listen to the FRS/GMRS, MURS and UHF business band frequencies for vendors and ride operations. It appears midway operator, Powers Great American Midways, does not have any FCC licenses for radios, so the non-licensed business bands may be used by them.

NC Dept of Labor Ride Inspectors have been monitored using the callsign ROBERT-IDA (Ride Inspector) and heard on normal fair related talkgroups (mainly Golf 1). I have not heard any fair related traffic on the Cary/Wake County P25 System.

The NC State Fair has a new website this year, which is at 2024 NC State Fair

A map of the fairgrounds can be downloaded here NC State Fair Map and interactive Food & Ride Finder

Here's the link copy of a SHP traffic "post" map from years past. I believe it has been updated in the past couple of years and don't know how accurate it is anymore.
http://qsl.net/ke4znr/NCFair/NCSHPStateFairPost.pdf

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
CORRECTION: Juliet 2 appears to be Internal LE/Ride Inspectors, Kilo 2 continues to have Fair Grounds staff

As this is the first day there may be some changes which I will post here as they are monitored.

brad24

Scanner Enthusiast/Local Media
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for letting me know this I didn’t know. I can listening. to the state fair.