246T repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GJB

So I happened across a used 246T on another site and the guy only wants $50 for it, but it needs some love apparently.

I know the keypads and volume knobs are cheap to order and fairly easy to replace from what I have read, but he also stated the inner LCD was broken (cracked and allegedly not working at all). What are my repair options for this radio? Does Uniden's flat rate repair service ($50) cover LCD replacements? If not, I suppose I can just use the radio via computer control, which should still be worth it for $50, correct?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
So I happened across a used 246T on another site and the guy only wants $50 for it, but it needs some love apparently.

I know the keypads and volume knobs are cheap to order and fairly easy to replace from what I have read, but he also stated the inner LCD was broken (cracked and allegedly not working at all). What are my repair options for this radio? Does Uniden's flat rate repair service ($50) cover LCD replacements? If not, I suppose I can just use the radio via computer control, which should still be worth it for $50, correct?

The flat rate service SHOULD cover the LCD, but don't quote me on that. Uniden repair has always been good to me with replacing things on the scanner that are wearing or scratched in addition to part(s) that need repair.

I would try to ask someone there if you can ever get a hold of them.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I sent a well used, abused 396T with a broken antenna connector, front and rear housing. After 3 weeks it's on it's way back. It says they've replaced pretty much everything including display lens (which wasn't broken) and it's on it's way back.

I did call Uniden support before sending it in, and they said this "flat rate covers any damage so long as the product is complete and has a legible serial number, it will be brought to factory specifications. any parts that are damaged are replaced" so yeah, if the LCD is cracked or broken, they'll replace it.

Not a bad deal for $60.

N1GJB

I sent a well used, abused 396T with a broken antenna connector, front and rear housing. After 3 weeks it's on it's way back. It says they've replaced pretty much everything including display lens (which wasn't broken) and it's on it's way back.

I did call Uniden support before sending it in, and they said this "flat rate covers any damage so long as the product is complete and has a legible serial number, it will be brought to factory specifications. any parts that are damaged are replaced" so yeah, if the LCD is cracked or broken, they'll replace it.

Not a bad deal for $60.

Awesome. Radio should be in tomorrow. Going to play around with it and assess the damage. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it back so 3 weeks is fine with me. I have other radios I can and will use. Will definitely give Uniden a call when I'm ready for the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.