30' Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawsrock

I have a 30' tower that I am going to be putting up soon. What I am wanting to know is what would people have for first time tower install? Tips and tricks, things to look out for, lighting protection and coax suggestions
Thanks
Ron Fone
www.flamesandfur.com.

key2_altfire

Building permits! I know, it's not a fun topic compared to installing the tower, but you'll save yourself a lot of grief if (a) a local code enforcement officer happens to notice (this is a big, big revenue generator in California); or (b) the tower collapses on a nearby structure, gets hit by lightning and burns your house down, gets hit by lightning and burns the neighbor's house down, etc etc etc.

I went to my city hall for permits for my 38' tower… they were very helpful. For the concrete base I used a welded rebar cage purchased from a local building supplier, they had the cages in stock for about $80. These are the same exact cages used as footings for structural concrete pillars in commercial buildings.

To level the tower I used a Starrett "Mechanic's Level" purchased from McMaster-Carr for around $45. It is much more precise than a carpenter's level, and detects a tilt of .005" per foot. I wanted that tower to be DAMN plumb, and it is!!

Also make sure you orient the tower hinges toward a long area of free-run so you can lay it down… if you use a hinged tower.

n8emr

pawsrock said:
I have a 30' tower that I am going to be putting up soon. What I am wanting to know is what would people have for first time tower install? Tips and tricks, things to look out for, lighting protection and coax suggestions
Thanks
Ron Fone
www.flamesandfur.com.

How do you plan on putting it up? with a short tower like that I would put in a tilt over base and just push and pull it up. If your going the ginpole route then make sure you have enough rope for the ginpole. Make sure you have your antenna's built and coax terminated before you start. Lightning protection should go in with the base install. Know your local rules for tower. do you need a permit for the tower? for the base, both? I live in a area where you dont, most people live where they do. Dont forget the call before you dig people if your digging a base hole. If your next to a structure make sure you know how your house bracket will fit, do you have access to the inside of the wall to back brace it or will you just go into the sheeting?

pawsrock

The tower was given to me by a local ham, help him with some one else`s tower. The tower is in three 10' sections, with one sitting on top of the other. I have a shead in the back yard that I am going to put it up next to. The shead is built very solid!! I could be in it during a storm.
Ron Fone

NAVCAN

For coax I always recommend LDF1-50A Heliax, or any LDF heliax at that. Of course, it always depends on budget, and heliax is a tad more expensive than most other coax types.

Alot of people on here recommend LMR400, and it's great, but you really have to be careful when making the connectors, and not kinking the center conductor.

Are you using this for transmitting or just receiving?

Here is a small piece for sale http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101538

pawsrock

NAVCAN I will be using it for both. Some thing else I am doing now is planning what I am wanting to hear and also transmit. I have a HF rig which for the moment I will use just for listening(Tech Class) Have a dual band radio and also I want to put an antenna up for scanner listening
Ron Fone

NAVCAN

If you are planning for both, I'd get the LDF1-50. It's rugged as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.