310 Bold Font

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwiscan

Do you think displaying the bold font puts more drain on the batteries?

If power consumption wasnt an issue I am unclear why GRE wouldnt just have bold font as the default as its more asthetically pleasing to my eyes.

TES

. . . I am unclear why GRE wouldnt just have bold font as the default as its more asthetically pleasing to my eyes.

Perhaps others find the bold font asthetically unpleasant and GRE chose to appeal to a broader crowd with the normal/bold option..

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
No. I can't see how the number of segments or their "thickness" would affect power consumption.

If power consumption wasnt an issue I am unclear why GRE wouldnt just have bold font as the default as its more asthetically pleasing to my eyes.
I have wondered that too. I look at it in reverse; bold should be "normal" and normal should be called "thin" or something like that. But because normal was called normal that became the default, regardless of how (bad) it looks.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
My thoughts on the two settings...

I prefer the bold font myself BUT I am glad they have an alternate font setting for the simple reason of having choice.

In fact, this past week I have been using the normal font not because I like it better but because it's different and gives me a break from the bold. Then when I switch back I appreciate it even more. Now whether the bold should be labeled as normal and the normal as thin is neither here or there IMO.

I was just thinking too this week that the display would benefit from an extra pixel or two of space between the rows of text especially with the normal font. It's a little harder to read because the rows are stacked right on top of each other, hence, why I think we all prefer the bold. I also found that having a different contrast setting for each font style has been helpful for viewing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The heavier font weight on the 310/410 is called "bold" because, when compared to the font weight GRE used on all previous models, it is indeed bolder.

The bold font is an option and not the default for a similar reason, because owners of previous GRE models were already accustomed to the lighter font weight. It's good practice to offer an alternative option, rather than eliminating something people are already accustomed to, or forcing them to use the new option rather than consciously choosing to use it.

Bottom line, if GRE had eliminated the lighter font weight, or had made bold the default, owners of previous GRE scanners would've complained. So either way you look at it, not everyone can be satisfied.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I kind of like to switch things up, so when I'm not using the back light, I'll use the bold font. With the back light on, I'll use the regular font. yeah, I know, kinda weird but I'm a weird kind of guy LOL. :)

eagleswings01

I use and love the bold font, but can't imagine it takes any extra power from the display. The back light however, does take extra power. Now sure exactly how much, but it definitely drained the AA's faster than normal when I used it a fair amount at night (before I got rechargeable batteries).

Jakemcgraw

I really liked the bold font option when i owned my 310 last yr. And as with every handheld ive ever bought, i always test battery life continuous run time without the backlight and then with the backlight on full time. The psr-310 was the least difference in run time of any handheld ive owned, with the light on full time i only ever noticed less than a half hour less in battery life. I only use rechargeables.

nwiscan

I really liked the bold font option when i owned my 310 last yr. And as with every handheld ive ever bought, i always test battery life continuous run time without the backlight and then with the backlight on full time. The psr-310 was the least difference in run time of any handheld ive owned, with the light on full time i only ever noticed less than a half hour less in battery life. I only use rechargeables.

How long did you find it to last on alkaline and NIMH?

Jakemcgraw

Your welcome nwiscan,,,I found about an hour difference for me, 13 hrs light on full time, and about 14 with the light set to come on only when it recieved a signal.

GENE254

Your welcome nwiscan,,,I found about an hour difference for me, 13 hrs light on full time, and about 14 with the light set to come on only when it recieved a signal.

I don't have an option on my PSR-310, firmware 1.4, that allows the backlight on full time. Now that I think of it it wasn't there with v1.1 either. Are you sure about your post?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I don't have an option on my PSR-310, firmware 1.4, that allows the backlight on full time. Now that I think of it it wasn't there with v1.1 either. Are you sure about your post?

Press and hold the light button until it beeps (about 1 second), and the backlight will stay on.

GENE254

Very cool, the things you learn that aren't in manuals. What other tricks could be out there? (ret.)

Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.