346xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPD24193

I just got my scanner today and am just wondering about the battery's, I currently have a set of chateau rechargeable batterys in. Is there a way to check the battery life on the scanner and how long should I charge the scanner for?

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I currently have a set of chateau rechargeable batterys in. Is there a way to check the battery life on the scanner and how long should I charge the scanner for?

You can check the battery voltage by pressing down on the volume knob. The number on the top by the RSSI is the battery voltage. As far as charging, it is better to charge the batteries outside the scanner. The charge time depends on the battery type, the mAh ratting.and the charger mA. I am not sure what the uniden chargeing circuit is rated. If I would to gues I would say about 150 to 200 mA. To figure out the charge time try this: Rechargeable battery charging time and mA current calculator | Convert to units and culinary measures.

VPD24193

How long do you guys charge your battery's for when charging through the scanner for a full charge? And does the scanner charge the betters while the unit is plugged in and in?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I never charge the batteries inside mine. Always take them out and charge them with an external charger. I've got 6 batteries that I rotate, and always keep the set outside the scanner fully charged and ready to go.

Do yourself a favor and turn off the scanner's built-in charger, and get yourself an external charger. The scanner has no smart charge circuitry at all, meaning it doesn't charge each cell individually, nor does it have any clue when each cell is fully charged. The $20 you spend on a decent smart charger will give you peace of mind knowing that an overheated cell, burst cell or worse won't destroy your $200 scanner.

W6KRU

Like most guys here, I don't charge batteries in my scanner. I used to but I found that the batteries did not last long when charged in the scanner. That coupled with the danger of destroying a scanner convinced me to buy an external charger. I use a Powerex C9000 with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.