396XT logging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subliminal87

Is there anyway with freescan to let my 396xt hooked up and search out talkgroups or anything on a P25 system and log it and record it?

Or would it just be letting it search by itself, connect it to freescan or anything else to see what it logged? Or would I need to leave it connected to the PC?

captclint

Mentor
Is there anyway with freescan to let my 396xt hooked up and search out talkgroups or anything on a P25 system and log it and record it?
For each system you want to log, set it to IDsearch , and open the virtual control window. It should log all TGID's for each system, as log as you have the scanner connected to the PC.

captclint

Mentor
Thanks!

Is it possible to have it look for new sites as well?
You can search for new sites using any one of 10 Custom Searches , and it will record what conventional sites it heard, along with what PL/DPL it heard. However, you can't really log any TGID's for a trunking site while doing a search. To do that, you need to set-up a trunking system that you either figure out your self, or one that has been entered into the database.Technically, you can log some TGID's on a one frequency at a time on a frequency that you suspect if trunking, but that requires a little more knowledge about trunking.

Last edited:

Subliminal87

You can search for new sites using any one of 10 Custom Searches , and it will record what conventional sites it heard, along with what PL/DPL it heard. However, you can't really log any TGID's for a trunking site while doing a search. To do that, you need to set-up a trunking system that you either figure out your self, or one that has been entered into the database.Technically, you can log some TGID's on a one frequency at a time on a frequency that you suspect if trunking, but that requires a little more knowledge about trunking.

Thanks,

I'll be scanning this system if it matters:
Lancaster County-Wide Communications (LCWC) Trunking System, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

They are testing it out now for it to go live this year, I want to just pick it up and see how many sites are active.

captclint

Mentor
Thanks,

I'll be scanning this system if it matters:
Lancaster County-Wide Communications (LCWC) Trunking System, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies They are testing it out now for it to go live this year, I want to just pick it up and see how many sites are active.
There are more frequencies on the license than are identified in the database, so it is likely that there will be additional control frequencies/sites added as members identify them. For now, you can just enter the red cc and you should get all the activity for that test site. You could set up a conventional system with all the frequencies on this license: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQQV915. That way, you would see what frequencies/sites become active, but I would count on the members to identify control channels/sites as quickly as they become available so you can add them to your IDsearches

Last edited:

Subliminal87

There are more frequencies on the license than are identified in the database, so it is likely that there will be additional control frequencies/sites added as members identify them. For now, you can just enter the red cc and you should get all the activity for that test site. You could set up a conventional system with all the frequencies on this license: WQQV915 (LANCASTER, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details. That way, you would see what frequencies/sites become active, but I would count on the members to identify control channels/sites as quickly as they become available so you can add them to your IDsearches

What would the difference be if I enter in just the RED freq and not all of them?

captclint

Mentor
What would the difference be if I enter in just the RED freq and not all of them?
Nothing, as long as you only enter the ones listed for the temp site. The "CC only" is simply a means to avoid having to enter all the frequencies. You can not add any others unless they show up as an update. Since it is an evolving, you probably should enter all three, but no others. This is why I said you should create a conventional system for all the unidentified frequencies. In so doing, you will hear most of the traffic, even though it is a trunking system. Later, as things get busy, you will miss a lot of the conversations in the conventional system. I have no experience with a P25 system, but I believe you will properly decode digital as a conventional system. You just won't be able to following the various moves to other frequencies cause by the control channel.When you hear digital noise, that will probably be another control channel.

You need to follow the traffic here as things progress: http://forums.radioreference.com/pe...orum/267755-lancaster-county-uhf-testing.html and herfe: http://forums.radioreference.com/pe...aster-county-dumps-ma-com-opensky-system.html

To take it one step further, you need to create a P25 "One-Freq Trunk" system in order to see radio IDS/talkgroups on a conventional frequency.
You should read up on trunking here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

Last edited:

Subliminal87

Nothing, as long as you only enter the ones listed for the temp site. The "CC only" is simply a means to avoid having to enter all the frequencies. You can not add any others unless they show up as an update. Since it is an evolving, you probably should enter all three, but no others. This is why I said you should create a conventional system for all the unidentified frequencies. In so doing, you will hear most of the traffic, even though it is a trunking system. Later, as things get busy, you will miss a lot of the conversations in the conventional system. I have no experience with a P25 system, but I believe you will properly decode digital as a conventional system. You just won't be able to following the various moves to other frequencies cause by the control channel.When you hear digital noise, that will probably be another control channel.

You need to follow the traffic here as things progress: http://forums.radioreference.com/pe...orum/267755-lancaster-county-uhf-testing.html and herfe: http://forums.radioreference.com/pe...aster-county-dumps-ma-com-opensky-system.html

To take it one step further, you need to create a P25 "One-Freq Trunk" system in order to see radio IDS/talkgroups on a conventional frequency.
You should read up on trunking here: Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

Thanks I will do this tomorrow when I get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.