4.4 earthquake in california

LB_Scan

Hi

I was trying to scan my scanner on ham radio for earthquake check ins on the earthquake channel and nothen hered. so why is there is nothen on the earthquake channel if there is a earthquake. also on why do they have a earthquake channel if the ham radio operators dose not use it.

Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I was trying to scan my scanner on ham radio for earthquake check ins on the earthquake channel and nothen hered
It would be helpful if you told us what frequency you were trying to monitor rather than just referring to "the earthquake channel". Where are you relative to the quake's epicenter?

You may have had better luck monitoring the LA City FD which went into earthquake mode.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
its The emergency frequency in the UHF band is 446.000 MHz.
There is no designated "emergency" frequency in the UHF ham band. 446.00 MHz is simply a simplex frequency. And being that it's simplex and not a repeater, it's entirely possible there may have been earthquake related traffic, but it was out of your receiving range. Did you try monitoring any of the ARES frequencies or major repeater systems like DARN or PAPA?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
What kind of traffic did you expect to hear? Old fat guys (me included) in orange vests pretending they are "first responders"? Plus, the quake was relatively minor and given the state of some of the repeaters on the air in the basin, I certainly would not turn to ancient hardware and relics for information of any kind. And quite likely, not very accurate.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi

I was trying to scan my scanner on ham radio for earthquake check ins on the earthquake channel and nothen hered. so why is there is nothen on the earthquake channel if there is a earthquake. also on why do they have a earthquake channel if the ham radio operators dose not use it.

Where are you located?

It was in the middle of the day. Many people at work and busy with their days.

446.000 is simplex, as said above. It's also used as the 70cm FM calling channel. It's been 20+ years since I heard anyone using it as a calling channel, or even simplex use.

Since it is simplex, it's going to be very short range, unless you have a really good outdoor antenna and are close enough to hear other hams.

A 4.4 earthquake really isn't a big deal. It'll make the news, but I haven't heard of any damage.

Likely some hams popped up on local repeaters to talk about it. Maybe.

Never heard of it called the "earthquake channel". Is that a local thing?

Ham radio operators are not required to get on the air any time something happens. They are random people with radios, not first responders.

I was in the SF bay area during the 1989 quake. There was some 2 meter traffic, but not much. If it's a big enough quake, people look after their family, friends and neighbors first. The play time on the radio comes after that. Other than a few check ins, and people talking about what they experienced, there wasn't much else. Again, not first responders, so other than discussion and some local reports, there really wasn't that much traffic.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Hi

All valid answers above. We have had minor earthquakes in my state and I have been in Cal (SF bay area) back in the 80 s with some relatively minor quakes 4+…and never heard anything on a ham channel. However, I would like to know how to scan a scanner.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
446.000 is simplex, as said above. It's also used as the 70cm FM calling channel. It's been 20+ years since I heard anyone using it as a calling channel, or even simplex use.

You'd think... 8*) Every bleeding time I go to test an HT on low-power on 446.0, someone random pops up and tells me it's working!

I was in the SF bay area during the 1989 quake. There was some 2 meter traffic, but not much. If it's a big enough quake, people look after their family, friends and neighbors first. The play time on the radio comes after that. Other than a few check ins, and people talking about what they experienced, there wasn't much else. Again, not first responders, so other than discussion and some local reports, there really wasn't that much traffic.

Memories... For some odd reason, I got up that morning, packed five sandwiches (I couldn't tell you why - it was weird, even for me), three HT's and made my daily trek up to the labs in Berkeley, having NO idea what lay in store. When the quake hit, a small crowd formed around my shiny, new, 727r which was tuned to the helicopters circling the bay-bridge, while I was on 223.5 fielding reports from a friend who was driving around town trying to figure out where the worst damage was and where the headers were coming from.

A couple of days later - same buddy and I were working in the Red Cross shelter when there was a request to verify the phone number on our portable phone (lunch-box sized, looked a bit like an old Moto HandiTalkie). It was eventually determined that the number they had led to a, urm, house of delights? in SF... and laid out a full menu, so to speak 8*)

Was near Van Nuys for the Northridge quake. Fortunately, I didn't have to dig too deep to find that same 727r, and wound up passing H&W traffic through another station in San Diego for folks who were standing out at the curbside with me at ~3am or whatever time it was, freezing their butts off.

IIRC, when I first moved back to LA, there used to be a weekly earthquake net on 145.46 (I think?) and the repeater actually, for a time, was rigged to send an alarm with sufficient ground motion, but I think that's loooong gone.

...and then there was the Yucca Valley quake, in the middle of Field Day... ops on 2m paused for a few minutes, asked around for emergency traffic, and then it was straight back into 'CQ Field Day'...

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
IIRC, when I first moved back to LA, there used to be a weekly earthquake net on 145.46 (I think?) and the repeater actually, for a time, was rigged to send an alarm with sufficient ground motion, but I think that's loooong gone.
Correct, I recall that one. Pomona area? Listed in my 1991 Repeater Location Guide compiled by Kevin Karamanos and Karl Pagel.
"145.460- W6FXN BUZZARD PEAK (Earthquake Net) OPEN"
That same repeater also used to "broadcast" Space Shuttle audio when a mission was taking place.

jrholm

Lifelong Cali resident here, 4.4 isnt worth any attention. You got to get to at least 5 before we start going, hmm that was a shake. It takes at least above 6 to really get people's attention.

Eng74

After dealing with the July 4th and 5th earthquakes in 2019 and all the aftershocks it takes a lot for me to notice now. When you are feeling every little aftershock you keep wondering if it is going to get bigger.