• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng 400-470 MHz

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
Wales, Texas, or Wales UK? (I'm not signing up for that linking service)

Repeaters can be linked together over the internet or other means. Fairly easy to link to very distant repeaters (even those in other countries) and allow someone with a small hand held radio to easily talk to someone in another part of the state/country/world.
I'm in San Antonio Texas and I picked up that signal from a ham radio in Wales UK with my scanner

SA_tx_88116

Forgive me for relying on my memory only but as much as I tried to look it up the DEA used to be on 418 MHz repeaters on a tower near me in Penndel, Pennsylvania. We're going early '80s
Basically speaking in Motorola terms this is known as UHF 1, above 450 would be UHF 2.

I can guarantee you any compromise conversations are encrypted so many years later, no more than the United States Coast Guard encrypting their p25 VHF and UHF conventional p25 frequencies.
Forgive me for relying on my memory only but as much as I tried to look it up the DEA used to be on 418 MHz repeaters on a tower near me in Penndel, Pennsylvania. We're going early '80s
Basically speaking in Motorola terms this is known as UHF 1, above 450 would be UHF 2.

I can guarantee you any compromise conversations are encrypted so many years later, no more than the United States Coast Guard encrypting their p25 VHF and UHF conventional p25 frequencies.
Ok so I was looking through federal frequencies for San Antonio and it turns out I was transmitting on DEA frequencies 🙏🙏🙏☠️☠️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️IMG_0348.png

ecps92

Last night I was experimenting with a RadioShack pro 197 and a baofeng 888S so I took the battery out of my handheld radio and the back panel said it’s frequency range was 400-470 MHz so I programmed my scanner to search through these frequencies for activity, once I did that I keyed the mic on my handheld and I could hear myself over my scanner then the scanner reached 406 MHz and it was a static signal with a p25 nac code of 3D0 and as far as I know only emergency services use p25 this was strange, then at around 410 MHz I heard what sounded like police I knew this because they were talking about running a license plate, I checked my radio band chart and 400 to 405 MHz was miscellaneous 406 to 419 MHz was trunked federal government (this is where I heard police) then there’s 420 to 449 MHz which is 70cm amateur radio and lastly 450 to 469 MHz which is UHF standard band whatever that is. Question #1:do any ham operators use this frequency range at all.
Question #2: can a baofeng 888S communicate with radios of different models and types.
Question #3: is the FCC going to raid my house for transmitting on police frequencies even though I have checked all frequencies for my county and neighboring counties and the police all use around 700 to 900 MHz.
Question #4: why did my handheld radio pick up a transmission that sounded like Morse code and how is my scanner virtually pressing down my handhelds PTT button must be some weird kind of interference.
The $3D0 you picked up is the US Air Force Base trunked system over in San Antonio (JBSA) as Tom has mentioned

Yes, Amateur, Business, Public Safety, Military and Government can/do use P25

All the other stuff is/was likely intermod/overload to your scanner with you transmitting to close to the radio

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok so I was looking through federal frequencies for San Antonio and it turns out I was transmitting on DEA frequencies 🙏🙏🙏☠️☠️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Failure to comprehend FCC rules is not a defense that will magically get you out of trouble. You are basically writing step by step instructions on how one would get a visit from the FCC.

There are two things you need to understand:

1. Radio equipment must be type accepted for the radio service it used on. Your radio is -ONLY- type accepted to be used as a radio receiver and as a transmitter on very specific bands.
  2. In all instances, you, the operator, need to have authorization from the FCC to be transmitting. To transmit in the amateur radio service, the FCC requires you to have a valid FCC issued amateur radio license in your name.
Buying a random radio off the internet gives you neither of the above mentioned authorizations.

You really need to stop until you fully comprehend the rules and are properly licensed. Youth and ignorance will not be a valid defense if the FCC comes to talk to you.

Please do not give the hobby another black eye. People are trying to give you some friendly advice here.

Last edited:

SA_tx_88116

Reading through this thread is like reading about someone giving a child a handgun and a box of bullets. Just a matter of time until something bad happens. What doesn’t the OP understand about needing a license to transmit?
I thought it was legal because awhile back my family used them while we were on a cruise ship

SA_tx_88116

Failure to comprehend FCC rules is not a defense that will magically get you out of trouble. You are basically writing step by step instructions on how one would get a visit from the FCC.

There are two things you need to understand:

1. Radio equipment must be type accepted for the radio service it used on. Your radio is -ONLY- type accepted to be used as a radio receiver and as a transmitter on very specific bands.
  2. In all instances, you, the operator, need to have authorization from the FCC to be transmitting. To transmit in the amateur radio service, the FCC requires you to have a valid FCC issued amateur radio license in your name.
Buying a random radio off the internet gives you neither of the above mentioned authorizations.

You really need to stop until you fully comprehend the rules and are properly licensed. Youth and ignorance will not be a valid defense if the FCC comes to talk to you.

Please do not give the hobby another black eye. People are trying to give you some friendly advice here.
I will never use those radios again

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I thought it was legal because awhile back my family used them while we were on a cruise ship

So many questions, so little time….

I will never use those radios again

It isn't that you shouldn't use them. It's that you need to learn/understand HOW to use them and how to do it legally. It's not hard to get your amateur radio license.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

It isn't that you shouldn't use them. It's that you need to learn/understand HOW to use them and how to do it legally. It's not hard to get your amateur radio license.
Just to add…an amateur radio license still won’t let you transmit wherever you want.

I know you know this, but under the circumstances I figured it should be stated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just to add…an amateur radio license still won’t let you transmit wherever you want.

I know you know this, but under the circumstances I figured it should be stated.

No, I understand.

One would hope that an amateur radio licensee would understand that the license -ONLY- gives them permission to transmit on the amateur radio frequencies, however we know that there are some that completely miss that part of the rules.

SA_tx_88116

I just used signal stalker on my scanner to find out what frequencies the different channels on my handheld operate on
Channel 1: 462.125 illegal
Channel 2: 462.225 illegal
Channel 3: 462.325 illegal
Channel 4: 462.41875 illegal
Channel 5: 462.525 illegal
Channel 6: 462.625 illegal
Channel 7: 462.725 illegal
Channel 8: 462.550 illegal
Channel 9: scanner picked up nothing
I’ll save you some time and say that channel 14 is the only somewhat legal channel that operated on 450.225