436 CLOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

baayers

It has been but here are the instructions to fix it.

1 Plug in power cord and when the radio asks to charge say NO

2 Power on the radio and when the USB message appears say NO

3 Let the radio run for 50 hours powered up to allow the internal clock battery to fully charge. It will not charge with the radio off.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for very much for the response and directions.

Pretty good radio, HORRIBLE battery and power system. It is possible the engineers responsible for those aspects of this scanner had a three Martini lunch that day.

kb8rvp

Yes just make sure it is plugged in and turned on to charge the internal clock battery. You can just turn it all the way down at night. Then every once in a while make sure you do the same to keep it charged. I never noticed the issue because I listen to mine plugged in about 50% of the time using an old cell phone charging cord plugged into the wall.

Good luck,
Mike

Mike

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Yes just make sure it is plugged in and turned on to charge the internal clock battery. You can just turn it all the way down at night. Then every once in a while make sure you do the same to keep it charged. I never noticed the issue because I listen to mine plugged in about 50% of the time using an old cell phone charging cord plugged into the wall.

Same here - I keep mine plugged in while listening at work, and the scanner has never asked me for the date/time since I first powered it on back in February (wow, has it been that long already?)

-AZ

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Same here - I keep mine plugged in while listening at work, and the scanner has never asked me for the date/time since I first powered it on back in February (wow, has it been that long already?)

-AZ

Same here. I listen to mine all day at work while it's plugged in too. Mine has been on and plugged in at least 8 hours a day since I received it back in February. I've never had clock issues.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Ditto. Never had the clock issue on mine either. Plugged in and running via cig lighter in the car. Most of the time.

fenderblue

Boy, I kinda wish I would bought another 396xt rather then my new 436 because of not being to able to charge while going on a long vacation. How long will the scanner stay on with charged batteries? What a mistake. Wish I would have searched this forum before purchasing the 436.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I followed the advice and let the 436 and 536 run for two days. Apparently the "internal battery" is charged, and the clock issue seems to be resolved. This has got to be the most half a**** convoluted way to run power in a modern scanner I've ever seen. THREE BATTERIES?

Maybe a stupid question, but why do these scanners need a clock - date, etc., anyway?

Again, the same engineers who designed this atrocious power system must have been re-assigned to the wi-fi dongle Siren App project.

They really need to lock up the booze over there at Uniden.................

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The clock/date information would be necessary to "tag" the audio recordings when used in the 'record' mode, instead of only the replay feature (last xx seconds of activity). Along with a number of others, I sometimes set the scanner to record and save all traffic received, over a day, sometimes longer. Especially when I am trying to verify usage on possible unknown new channels or talkgroups. Then, later, I can go back and review what was saved, listen for details on how the channel/talkgroup is being used. The date/time stamp information can also document the usage pattern.

B

bearcat7039

Battery ussue

Buy some good quality rechargeable batteries and a good quality charger like the MaHa wizard one. Not a bad investment for your scanner. If you've been in this hobby for any period of time and you don't already have these items or similar I can do nothing more than shake my head. My 436 has not been powered buy a USB port since I bought it and the clock was set on day one and never again touched.

B

bearcat7039

Battery issue

Buy some good quality rechargeable batteries and a good quality charger like the MaHa wizard one. Not a bad investment for your scanner. If you've been in this hobby for any period of time and you don't already have these items or similar I can do nothing more than shake my head. My 436 has not been powered buy a USB port since I bought it and the clock was set on day one and never again touched.

RadioPatriots

Boy, I kinda wish I would bought another 396xt rather then my new 436 because of not being to able to charge while going on a long vacation.

Why could you not charge your scanner while going on vacation? Do they not have electrical outlets where you go?

RadioPatriots

Buy some good quality rechargeable batteries and a good quality charger like the MaHa wizard one.

+1! Absolutely essential for these caliber scanners.

Eneloop batteries.

MaHa MH-C9000 is also a good choice. I have several. Excellent for break-ins and conditioning. Never let me down.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Additional battery packs are also needed for protracted power outages like in ice storms, blizzards, hurricanes, earthquakes, manmade disasters, etc.

So having extra battery packs is important, at least it has been for me.

baayers

I agree 100% on the Maha charger. This charger will charge batteries individually so each battery gets a guaranteed full charge where a lot of the cheaper chargers charge in pairs of two and you are not guaranteed as good of a result. I am using the Maha Imedion LSD batteries and get around 10 hours of usage.

To the poster above who wishes he purchased a 396 the 436 can also be plugged into a wall outlet using a USB wall adapter. I am using an extra one that came with my previous iPhone and it works perfectly with no noise or interference.

Lastly to those like myself who wish that the cable was a little bit longer I find that the Amazon basics USB extension cable that you can purchase from Amazon.com works very well. They range between 3 and 10 feet and cost between $5 and $9.

fenderblue

No. I didnt let the original batteries charge for 2 days maybe for 4 hours, that maybe my problem with run time. Will recharge today but the MAHA battery setup sounds like a good setup. Thanks

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Boy, I kinda wish I would bought another 396xt rather then my new 436 because of not being to able to charge while going on a long vacation. How long will the scanner stay on with charged batteries? What a mistake. Wish I would have searched this forum before purchasing the 436.

Buy one of these DC Adapter USB (5V 1A) and use a USB cable. That way you are only powering the radio while in the car. That's what I do on trips, works great. Once you get to the destination you still have a fully charged radio. Then for a recharge where ever you are staying you can use one of these. AC Adapter USB (5V 1A) If you don't want to charge the batteries in the radio just bring your charger along for the ride.

Keeping an extra set of batteries on hand never hurts either.

I usually get about 8 - 10 hours out of a fully charged set of batteries. I only use the black eneloop XX. http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Capac...TF8&qid=1402578359&sr=8-1&keywords=eneloop+XX

Last edited:

RadioPatriots

I usually get about 8 - 10 hours out of a fully charged set of batteries. I only use the black eneloop XX.

Same thing I use for scanners. Eneloop = very good batteries. And after about every 10 charges I'll run them through a conditioning or "break-in" conditioning charge with the MaHa MH-C9000 charger. Keeps them healthy and right up to capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.