446.000 and Simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb1dog

I see that some people use 446.000 for Simplex. When/if you do, which squelch code do you use with it? And what Channel Bandwidth? (25/12.5?) Both seem just as important as knowing which frequency to consider for Simplex operation. Thank you.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I see that some people use 446.000 for Simplex. When/if you do, which squelch code do you use with it? And what Channel Bandwidth? (25/12.5?) Both seem just as important as knowing which frequency to consider for Simplex operation. Thank you.

Unless you are trying to specifically filter out traffic, it's best to leave it at carrier squelch. Most hams don't use any sort of squelch code on simplex.
And for bandwidth, 25KHz. While you can absolutely use narrow band on amateur radio, most don't, and most older radios won't even support it.

kb1dog

Thanks mmckenna... I took your advice. Keep in mind the newer (professional/business) Motorola radios default to 12.5 and I had to attend a 15 minute training, and order a special part number, to allow the radios to use a bandwidth of 25. So much fun.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks mmckenna... I took your advice. Keep in mind the newer (professional/business) Motorola radios default to 12.5 and I had to attend a 15 minute training, and order a special part number, to allow the radios to use a bandwidth of 25. So much fun.

Right, the narrow band entitlement key. I use all commercial gear also, a mix of Motorola CDM's and Kenwood's.
Unlikely that your average ham will migrate from 25KHz channels any time soon, so you're safe with it. Eventually when enough of the used gear hits the market, maybe we'll see a move. Same with GMRS….

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Right, the narrow band entitlement key. I use all commercial gear also, a mix of Motorola CDM's and Kenwood's.
Unlikely that your average ham will migrate from 25KHz channels any time soon, so you're safe with it. Eventually when enough of the used gear hits the market, maybe we'll see a move. Same with GMRS….

I doubt I will see a wholesale move to narrowband FM on ham bands. Too many OF's that are against modern technology, plus even modern hammy stuff doesn't properly do 2.5KHz deviation.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You're probably right

However, there are a lot of 40 year old GE repeaters out there cranking away (you know, when all else fails world survival will depend on them). Maybe when those all go, we'll finally see a wholesale move to DMR.

I doubt I will see a wholesale move to narrowband FM on ham bands. Too many OF's that are against modern technology, plus even modern hammy stuff doesn't properly do 2.5KHz deviation.
I think the narrowbanding done on the commercial bands is to facilitate more traffic on a finite resource. More users and more radio traffic means more channels need to be created. The amateur repeater frequencies don't really suffer from a capacity problem in most areas. Hams in some cities might like more repeater frequencies, but the existing repeaters are sitting idle, no real traffic.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think the narrowbanding done on the commercial bands is to facilitate more traffic on a finite resource. More users and more radio traffic means more channels need to be created. The amateur repeater frequencies don't really suffer from a capacity problem in most areas. Hams in some cities might like more repeater frequencies, but the existing repeaters are sitting idle, no real traffic.

True. The paper repeaters tie up a lot of pairs. Flushing them out would help.

However, the point I was making about narrow band is that a lot of hams use recycled commercial gear. Since narrow band is required and not every radio will do wide band, eventually those narrow band only radios will make it into the mitts of the amateurs. It's likely that at some point in the future narrow band analog will make some waves.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Ive seen it already in some areas. Mostly because alot of the younger hams are appliance operators. They order a $25.00 radio on amazon and dump the channels in it and dont know what 12.5 20 or 25 mean and just skip over it. I had one kid go round and round with me on my APRS digi. He said sitting at the site he couldn't decode and never could TX. When i finally got with him it was a CCR in 12.5 and a old droid phone. He bugged me for weeks on this and I about threw his stuff out the window. His comment was "no one told me"

I also see this in GMRS and actually I have 2 narrow band repeaters setup due to the midland stuff out there. Its not ideal but it works.

jhooten

446.000 is the national FM simplex calling channel for 70cm. As such only carrier squelch should be used. Same with 146.52 on 2m. Or any designated calling channel.

K9RPL

Ive seen it already in some areas. Mostly because alot of the younger hams are appliance operators. They order a $25.00 radio on amazon and dump the channels in it and dont know what 12.5 20 or 25 mean and just skip over it. I had one kid go round and round with me on my APRS digi. He said sitting at the site he couldn't decode and never could TX. When i finally got with him it was a CCR in 12.5 and a old droid phone. He bugged me for weeks on this and I about threw his stuff out the window. His comment was "no one told me"

I also see this in GMRS and actually I have 2 narrow band repeaters setup due to the midland stuff out there. Its not ideal but it works.

Doesn't sound like that kid had an Elmer or someone to act as a mentor.

Status
Not open for further replies.